Running Tial with Cycling Valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:32 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Running Tial with Cycling Valve

Hey folks,

I've got a full Fabspeed exhaust arriving in two or three weeks. In the meantime, I'm going to drop my cross-over, and re-seal/gasket and torque all of the exhaust components from the turbo charger to the headers and wastegate. Will probably also send the x-over to Lindsey to have them cut it so that future oil pan access is easier.

Question: I have an uninstalled Tial F38 (.5 bar spring - 7.25 psi) with adapters. Pulling/Installing this with the cross-over out is probably the ideal time. I would like to keep it in single port mode for now and run it off the cycling valve, just as the stock one is. Is there any issue with this? I am familiar with the design differences between tial and stock WRT to inlet and outlet, and where the vacuum lines go. Just need to know if I can swap out directly and not encounter anything unexpected with respect to boost. I have the A-tune.

Note: I am later going to dual-port with an EBC I already own. I want to keep it single port with no changes for now as I don't like changing too many things at once on these cars. Pulling the whole exhaust system and changing the wastegate is all I want to bite off in this round.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:51 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

You cannot. The spring is stiffer. The CV won't control it properly.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:44 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Jim, thanks for the quick reply. For my own understanding, why would this be different (in principle) from shimming a stock wastegate? Shimming effectively increases spring weight for the CV, correct?

Thanks, Scott
Old 01-06-2015, 02:29 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

A shimmed WG is not nearly as stiff as a Tial spring.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:01 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Wouldn't the tial just open a little later? In my case, at 7.25 pounds?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

No - the CV cycles/pulses, and as I understand it, the KLR code isn't really adaptive. It won't "learn" the new rate. It's just a set pulsewidth in a table, and is based on the assumption that the stock WG is there.

The *minimum* boost on the stock WG is 4psi. On your Tial, it's 7 (mine it's 10 - are you sure you're on a 7.25psi spring?) The stock spring in the stock WG will react at a certain rate (open/close, rate of open/rate of close, and response time between the CV opening/closing and boost rising/falling). The Tial will be different, and the CV control inside the KLR won't know that.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:57 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Got it - thanks for taking time for the explanation - much appreciated!

Yes, I have the .5bar/7.25lb spring - i want the ability to run it pretty close to stock once the ebc is in.

For your ebc (assuming you have it), where did you tie in for 12v switched? I have no more headroom on the radio power.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:25 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done exactly that; run a .5 bar spring using CV.
The CV/KLR doesn't know and doesn't care if you have a stiffer spring; you'll just have more boost, that's all. The amount of boost is generally the difference between the two springs, maybe a bit more. I think I saw 17-18 psi IIRC. Maybe that's more than what you want; not sure.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:58 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Turbo, ok that is interesting for sure. Did your car reliably hit whatever range (17-18, or any amount x) every time? I don't want any variability - want to hit x every time. A lower spring weight might get what I'm after.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:55 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
I've done exactly that; run a .5 bar spring using CV.
The CV/KLR doesn't know and doesn't care if you have a stiffer spring; you'll just have more boost, that's all. The amount of boost is generally the difference between the two springs, maybe a bit more. I think I saw 17-18 psi IIRC. Maybe that's more than what you want; not sure.
Interesting.

I experimented with a custom tweaked KLR (built by a well known 951 tuner) a few years ago on my Tial and we never got any semblance of control out of it.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:28 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Turbo, ok that is interesting for sure. Did your car reliably hit whatever range (17-18, or any amount x) every time?
Yes, everytime.
It's no different than using an aftermarket ebc, which is essentially an electronic tunable bleeder.
Basic spring pressure, bleed away a fixed amount of control pressure = "x" amount of boost over and above the spring.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:42 AM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Yes, everytime.
It's no different than using an aftermarket ebc, which is essentially an electronic tunable bleeder.
Basic spring pressure, bleed away a fixed amount of control pressure = "x" amount of boost over and above the spring.
Sorry to revive this thread, but I’m about to do the same thing. Running an A tune with a Tial 38 using the CV. Not a boost controller. Only using a 8.7 psi spring. I called Dave Lindsey, and he said it would act exactly like the stock wastegate. And the only way to get more boost is with a BC hooked up. I guess I will find out. I’m just trying to learn about this car and older turbo charged engines I guess. From what i was understanding, the spring in the wastegate is to let off boost. Not increase it. No?
I started my own thread on this yesterday. Just trying to make sense of this.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:15 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

So I got the tile 38 wastegate installed. But as I said before the cyclic valve broke. So I just went with the manual boost controller which I plan on hooking up shortly. A couple questions
1)after hooking up the manual boost controller do I have to plug the J Boog hole? And if so what does everyone plug it with.
2) When I bought the car it had auto authority stage two chips on it. Which requires a banjo restriction on the intercooler pipe. Exactly where the vacuum hose goes for the wastegate. Do I need to source a stock banjo bolt? Or is the restricted one OK? Thanks.
edit, I’m just gonna source a new bolt for the intercooler pipe. A bolt that has a vacuum connection for the boost Controller. Would have thought LR would have supplied a bolt for that pipe.

Last edited by Dkritz944; 01-19-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:09 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

1. Just find a bolt that fits in the j-boot hole and use a little hose clamp; 2. You could probably leave the smaller banjo bolt as is. To connect my new vacuum line—the tiny silicone ones from LR—I used a brass adapter from small to large and no problems. BTW that manual boost controller is funny: nothing, nothing, nothing then one little turn near the end and you're flying! Or... overboosting
Old 01-21-2018, 10:40 AM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
1. Just find a bolt that fits in the j-boot hole and use a little hose clamp; 2. You could probably leave the smaller banjo bolt as is. To connect my new vacuum line—the tiny silicone ones from LR—I used a brass adapter from small to large and no problems. BTW that manual boost controller is funny: nothing, nothing, nothing then one little turn near the end and you're flying! Or... overboosting
Cool. Thanks for the reply. I did exactly what ya said. Hooked up fine. Gonna finish off running the lines to the wastegate today. Thanks for the tips on the MBC. I’ll take it slow when adjusting.

Quick Reply: Running Tial with Cycling Valve