Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: My dad passed away today...

Old 08-21-2003, 12:51 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy OT: My dad passed away today...

I know this is OT but I need to talk about this a little bit.

My dad passed away today. He was 70 years-old. One month ago, he went in for a regular angioplasty procedure. While doing the procedure they found a rather large mass in his right lung. Diagnosis: Advanced lung cancer with lymph node and adrenal gland invasion. Prognosis was poor but chemo was still recommended for palliative purposes.

He was quite weak already and just when they were ready to begin chemo, he came down with a severe gastrointestinal infection. He dehydrated quite a bit, but they were able to get it under control such that a week ago his spirits were up and he was making jokes again.

Then, last friday, he had a massive stroke. He lost the ability to speak and was paralysed on his right side. Saturday he was transferred to the CCU (coronary care unit) to stabilize his heart. He was quite anxious all day. However, he was able to make me understand that he wanted me to stay with him that night. Thus, I slept at the hospital on saturday and that made him happy. I went home early sunday morning to shower and change and I was back at the hospital late sunday morning. I spent the whole day with him, but he was getting weaker. However, he did enjoy sucking on little ice cubes to quench his thirst. I went to work on monday and one of my aunts spent some time with him in the afternoon and I visited him in the evening. By then he was completely unconscious. My sister and I spent the whole afternoon with him yesterday, but he stayed asleep the whole time. Finally, my aunt and one of my uncles visited him this afternoon. They were with him when he passed away peacefully.

Hopefully, he is in a better world now.

Sorry, if I bored anyone with this but I needed to vent off and I could not trust myself with the 951 tonight.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2003, 12:58 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andre,

I'm very sorry to hear. Your right, I'm sure he is in a pain free, better world now...
God bless,
Dave McGrath
Old 08-21-2003, 01:07 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Andre,
I'm sorry to hear. You have my sympathy. I know what its like to go thru the same situation, but with my grandmother who died of cancer a year ago.

Regards,
Wes
Old 08-21-2003, 01:09 AM
reno928s
Pro

Times like these that we all pull together, sorry about your dad. Reno
Old 08-21-2003, 02:11 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

You were blessed with him for 70 years.. think of the good times and the legacy he gave you. Carry on with his values in your heart, his memories in your head, and his genes in your blood.. he would be proud. Treasure every minute as if it may be your last, and hug the ones you love. No doubt a fragile gift we've been given.. I'd like to think the best I could ask is children who loved being a part of my life and will live well in the world I left them. If can live on in their hearts, that is eternal life in my eyes.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:21 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cancer seems to touch so many people in so many ways. I am sorry to read of your loss.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:39 AM
JaskulaR
Intermediate

Originally posted by NZ951
Cancer seems to touch so many people in so many ways. I am sorry to read of your loss.
That it does. I lost my little brother aroudn Christmas. I just pray your father wasn't in pain Andre. God Bless

Rob
Old 08-21-2003, 02:53 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

Stuff like this tears me up inside. I don't think I could make it if either one of my parents died. I wish you all the best in dealing with what must be an extremely difficult situation.

So very sorry,
John
Old 08-21-2003, 03:20 AM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Andre,
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I am sure your father is in a wonderful place right now, proud of you and your accomplishments in life.
May he rest in peace>
Jeremy
Old 08-21-2003, 04:19 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

My condolences.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:36 AM
Rick_951
Banned

The most sincere condolences, May God bless and confort you and your family.

Ricardo
California
Old 08-21-2003, 07:01 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Andre, I am so very sorry for your loss. I am sure your father is in a better place now. I recently lost my grandmother quite unexpectedly to multiple heart attacks. One Thursday my dad was talking to her and the next Thursday I am carrying her to her resting place. I am glad you were able to spend some time with him. Remember the good times, when he smiled, and when you both laughed together. Those memories will live on inside of you, and so does he. I am glad you chose to talk about it, you are among friends here.

Take Care Everyone!!
Old 08-21-2003, 08:39 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:02 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Andre,

Sorry to hear of your loss. My deepest condolences.
I know the pain you are feeling because I lost my mother to cancer almost 2 years ago. One of the most indescribable feelings I've ever experienced.

You'll find the numbness will wear off but the memories you shared will never fade.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Remember, the soul is immortal; it is true love. Although he is not with you physically, he will always be there spiritually. As soon as you realize this, you will feel better. He is not gone, he has just passed on to a higher level of being. God is with him and he is with you.

Take care my friend,

Cris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: My dad passed away today...