Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

UPDATE: It's running and I have boost!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE: It's running and I have boost!

Well, I replaced every piece of vacuum hose I could find and replaced the cycling valve with a MBC and what do you know, I have boost! It still wants to cut out/surge when I have it under load but it's a big step in the right direction. I also have a weird "clanking" noise when it's idling that is odd but I haven't been able to track down yet. It's gone when I'm moving so I think it might be clutch related. I guess we'll see. I have a few other things to track down still and need to replace the fuel filter and all the fluids, but I'm almost caught up with maintenance.

Drove it for only the second time today. So much fun, even with the issues. I also got rid of most of the exhaust leak so it's pretty quiet and picked up some good used Koni's for the rear. Having rear shocks makes a world of difference too! ;-)

Anyway, wanted to share my joy with everyone. Still couldn't tell you what fixed it, but the combination of things certainly helped! (my guess is the cycling valve)
Old 11-20-2014, 12:07 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

more fun with the boost
Old 11-20-2014, 03:27 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

Congrats!!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:46 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cutout under load came from the chip.If you have any 944t friends take 5 minutes to switch out the chip.See if that helps.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

I'll see if I can scrounge one up.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:17 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clanking is probably from the transaxle.

The cutout may be due to plug gap.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Originally Posted by blown 944
Clanking is probably from the transaxle.

The cutout may be due to plug gap.
That's entirely possible. I thought it was from up front but sitting in the car it sounds like it's behind me.

I used the factory spec for plug gap, so I don't think it's that. I almost think it's due to the use of the manual boost controller. From other cars, boost is usually dependent on throttle position. With the MBC, boost is dependent on RPM's. Could it be that it's getting more boost sooner than it's expecting and it cuts out?

Still have so much to learn, but I've been driving it like crazy and it seems to be getting better. I think the bypass stuck a couple times because I wouldn't be able to make much boost and then there would be a "click" from the right part of the car and it would make boost. The more I drive the better it gets... it probably hasn't seen much exercise over the last few years.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:38 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Henry

That's entirely possible. I thought it was from up front but sitting in the car it sounds like it's behind me.

I used the factory spec for plug gap, so I don't think it's that. I almost think it's due to the use of the manual boost controller. From other cars, boost is usually dependent on throttle position. With the MBC, boost is dependent on RPM's. Could it be that it's getting more boost sooner than it's expecting and it cuts out?

Still have so much to learn, but I've been driving it like crazy and it seems to be getting better. I think the bypass stuck a couple times because I wouldn't be able to make much boost and then there would be a "click" from the right part of the car and it would make boost. The more I drive the better it gets... it probably hasn't seen much exercise over the last few years.
I'd get a set of Lindsey chips to remove any chance of boost protection /fuel cut off from the stock chips
Old 11-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Originally Posted by mahoney944
I'd get a set of Lindsey chips to remove any chance of boost protection /fuel cut off from the stock chips
I'll put it on my short list!
Old 11-22-2014, 01:30 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The LR chips made a great difference when I updated the turbo. There was only some minor fp tuning to get it setup and cleaning the original intercooler helped a bit.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: It's running and I have boost!