Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

PLEASE HELP-new steering wheel-Airbag issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 07:14 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP-new steering wheel-Airbag issue

I have a 1987 951 with passenger and driver airbags.

I am trying to get an aftermarket wheel put on, which uses a MOMO hub.

The issues are:

1. I was told by the shop that the directional signal, cruise control part of the steering column needed to be changed because the airbag models have square ones, the non-airbag models have round ones. (I thought they were all rectangular airbag or no)

2. If the driver airbag is disabled, the warning airbag warning light will go on, no big deal i can remove the bulb. However will the Red Exclamation light in the center top of the cluster stay on?

3. I was told if the airbag control was taken out, you lose both airbags, not just driver side.

4. I was told that removing the original airbag wheel and replacing with aftermarket requires rewiring the horn.

Would someone who has put in an aftermarket steering wheel on an AirBag equipped 951, please offer advice.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:25 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I can't answer the rest of the questions, but yes once you remove the wheel the airbag light and the red warning light will stay on. You can reset the airbag warning light, but only if both airbags are present. So, you would have to remove the bulbs from the warning light and the airbag light.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:41 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Does anyone know how to remove the steering wheel bag and wire something up to fake the car into thinking it's connected?

We send people to the moon, we can locate a golf ball on a course with a Satelite, we do heart transplants, and have lap top computers......faking a car into thinking the airbag works shouldn't be a big deal relatively speaking.

If anyone knows how to fake the car into thinking a non-existent airbag is still there, please share.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:54 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

see www.944s2.com for airbag removal
Old 08-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Redeye
Racer

Originally posted by Mike S
I can't answer the rest of the questions, but yes once you remove the wheel the airbag light and the red warning light will stay on. You can reset the airbag warning light, but only if both airbags are present. So, you would have to remove the bulbs from the warning light and the airbag light.
How do you reset the warning light?
Old 08-18-2003, 11:17 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should consider if the airbags work after all these years. I have considered removing my airbags all together but will have to do more research on the life and reliability of them before I do. Just something to consider.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:49 AM
haulsballs
Intermediate

i have a momo wheel, and both of the airbags are removed. the light does not come on, and the warning light still works just fine. not sure how the po did it, but ill check tommorrow. i think the computer, under the passernger side dash, was just disconnected all together. its still there though...

take care,
brian
Old 08-19-2003, 01:14 AM
Blueman33
Pro

As far as the safety of removing the airbags, I sit close to the wheel and the original airbags had too much force. Modern airbags have less force. Secondly, the damn little thumb horns are a major risk for me. I thingk, for me, that a horn I can redily address is more important for safety than the full force, too close, airbag. I do, however, wonder if removing the passenger air bag is wise....it's not as close, and i am compromising someone else's safety, not my own.

My goal is to defeat the steering wheel airbag without problems wiht the cluster warning lights.

BTW, i saw a fender bender that blew one bag in a 3 car teeny weeny 20mph collision and a late model corvette smashed to pieces in a single car accident with the airbag not deployed......so i also wonder about a 17 year old airbag that has never been deployed and how it will react to impact.

Comon, auto gurus and wizards, 'how do you remove the steering wheel airbag without problems with warning lights?"

Thanks
Old 08-19-2003, 12:37 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

The airbag warning light can be reset with instructions on www.clarks-garage.com . There's a 5 or 6 step process. You basically find the white two or three pin connector hanging behind your glovebox(unplugged). Hook a ground(i used a thick wire to the negative battery cable) to the middle(i think it was the middle..check). Turn the ignition on with the ground connected for 5 seconds...disconnect it for 5 seconds. Repeat. Then start the car. It should clear the light within 10 seconds.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:48 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Is that you Michael???

Try http://www.944s2.com/how-to/how-to.htm#airbag_deletion

There's a full discussion of what you need and how it to do it.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP-new steering wheel-Airbag issue