Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

white powder in engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:32 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

battery acid, coolant weeping, or normal surface oxidation depending on where you live

Last edited by kev951; 10-24-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I believe aluminum oxidation would be unlikely considering the material where the powder is present (steel, rubber, painted surface of the body heat shielding on the frame rail). I wouldn't worry much about it. I've had many exhaust leaks and have only ever seen black soot with the occaasional tan, nothing white.
You are correct, but believe it or not, I had an exhaust leak at the turbo and was seeing white ash on top of the intake manifold.
Most of the time you will see a black carbon soot right where the leak is, (ask me how I know ) but I think there is also a white-ish ash flakes that float around ....
I am guessing once he plugs that leak at the test pipe we will finally know
Best regards
Ed
Old 10-24-2014, 03:44 PM
TurboAngel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar white residue all around the engine bay. It was from between the intercooler fins. The intercooler had been sat idle for a number of years...
Old 10-26-2014, 09:38 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I hear ya but there really isn't anything to get stuck. Its like you said a flare nut
With a little wiggling it should come free ... Mine came right off. In fact the metal tang at the top broke off on its own...
Good luck
Just had another go at this...it still won't budge. It turned out I hadn't re-tightened the nut from my last attempt, so I've been driving with it loose for a while. Today I sprayed it with penetrating fluid and spent half an hour trying to get it loose...even went for a drive and got the car nice and hot. That thing is seriously stuck in there.

Quick Reply: white powder in engine bay