Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New 951 owner, intro, and timing belt progress, AOS?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:35 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Welcome to the Island of Misfit Toys. Before you go much further, know that there are many alternatives to the 951 that are better for your financial solvency, marriage, health, and career. A raging cocaine habit, junk bonds, becoming involved at the lowest level in pyramid schemes, running up large gambling debts.... all I would suggest to you in lieu of this. Even if you were to hand the title and keys over to Lart tomorrow, accepting no payment, will put you ahead before 18 months have elapsed. Bookmark this reply for posterity If you are still unswayed, then I say go gingerly, learn the car. They do indeed drink oil. Do all of the regular filters and maintenance, clean your grounds, replace the things that will kill you in the night (like fuel lines), and of course you are on right track with timing belt and etc. Do the rod bearings while you're at it. Welcome aboard.
Lol. Oh wait. I've done all of the "in lieu" and owned a 951 for 12 years. I consider my subscription fee cheap therapy.

Good luck. Hopefully a few minor items will get you a lot of fun commutes
Old 09-29-2014, 10:38 PM
StoneGrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the Turbo S, let me know where you're going to get tires for it or will you change the wheels? I don't think you can find street tires for this car anymore.
I agree with others, oil most likely coming from the turbo. I just pulled my turbo due to lack of boost and found the long down pipe internally collapsed. At least 80% closed and my boost would top out at 1.2 bar, which is the same as the "limp home" mode, causing troubleshooting to take longer than normal for me.

1988 951S with 286,000mi
Old 09-30-2014, 10:50 AM
SummitP
Instructor

I think Tom McGuinn wins the trivia question, not sure how these old ones worked, but this must have been a detector of some kind. I ripped it apart but could not find any brand markings. The wiring was run up the edge of the fender and into the cabin, and I didn't immediately see to where, so I went back to my other projects. But it was not wired from the factory, someone installed it after the fact.
Anyway, check it out.

In other news, got the starter out, and car set to TDC. Ok, ready for my parts mr UPS man...
Old 09-30-2014, 01:32 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

welcome to the [extremely] slippery slope of 951 ownership. with a new (to you) car and some maintenance oversights, your engine might look like the first pic before too long. 'WYIT Law' takes over and your 951 is a paperweight before you know it. even after that, the 2nd pic will be a common scene.

good luck and enjoy the car. when they're running right, they're a joy (and a classic to motor around in).
Attached Images   
Old 09-30-2014, 01:56 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Welcome!

Normally I'd say there is a good chance that the car is in good shape if it's got a Eurosport plate frame (they do good work) but judging by the condition of the plugs, I wonder how long ago that plate frame was installed on the car....

These cars are a slippery slope indeed. I LOVE my car but there have been times I wished I could push the damned thing off a cliff...
Old 09-30-2014, 03:21 PM
SummitP
Instructor

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Welcome!

Normally I'd say there is a good chance that the car is in good shape if it's got a Eurosport plate frame (they do good work) but judging by the condition of the plugs, I wonder how long ago that plate frame was installed on the car....

These cars are a slippery slope indeed. I LOVE my car but there have been times I wished I could push the damned thing off a cliff...
I read with interest your thread on the high rpm misfire, and was pleased to see people helping and that you got it figured out.

Mine is already taken apart for the timing belt and new ignition components. I am going to approach it from sides. Tackle the front side of the motor, do it all, and then tackle the right side of the motor, do it all, and thankfully the clutch and the back side of the motor are already done.
Then the bottom side, the suspension.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:37 AM
SummitP
Instructor

So my car is back on the road. I did the following:
Replaced timing belt and balance shaft belt
Replaced all roller
Replaced camshaft, balance shafts, and crankshaft seals and o rings and little plastic washers (super thin ones)
My cam, and balance shaft sleeves were ok, so left those in
Replaced oil pump gear sleeve
Inspected all coolant hoses, and cleaned mating surfaces on all hard lines. None of the hoses had any signs of cracks or brittleness.
Replaced water pump and mounting hardware
New accessory belts were installed immediately prior to purchase by midwest performance cars
New plugs, were installed before the timing belt job
Replaced the distributor cap and rotor
All parts that were removed were cleaned prior to re-installation, (never put a dirty part back on a car eh!)

The job wasn't too tough. I came from a toyota MR2 turbo, and that car had tight confines, getting to the goods on the front of the 944 turbo car is a piece of cake comparatively. I removed the fan, and the hard water line that runs across above the radiator, and inspected and cleaned all the hoses and fittings. Afterwards, there were no vibrations, so I got the timing and balance shafts aligned properly. Overall, I think the front of the engine is done for a while.
Setting the tension for the balance belt was a little tricky, I used the twist method, and set it a bit too tight the first time around and had some whirring, so I pulled the intake and re tensioned. Wow that was easy. Took like 20 minutes, and the whirring went away. It is nice to know that inspecting and adjusting tension is easy, and doesn't take a lot of time.
Took the car for a drive, and the new ignition parts gave the car a little more urgency which is nice.

My impression of working on the car, is that everything seems to be pretty well designed, and comes apart, although a bit tediously, fairly easily. We'll see if that is the case when (I think) I pull the turbo this winter for a rebuild.

I see myself developing a great appreciation for the car, and look forward to having it for many years. Now to continue collecting parts for some upgrades this winter.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:55 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Congrats! Pulling a 20 year old turbo is definitely not as easy, but not terrible, if you came for an MR2.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:22 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing the story! Enjoy!
Old 10-21-2014, 02:02 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

From what I've read, you're clearly cut out to be a 951 owner. 3S-GTE MR2s are awesome cars--definitely in the same cultural/technical vein. Hope you enjoy the car.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:50 AM
SummitP
Instructor

haha, yeah it's pretty fun. Collecting parts right now, and daily driving it to work 25 miles each direction. It's pretty soft suspension wise, shocks are pretty toast, but it is very enjoyable to drive. The MR2 was a blast, and I sold it to a bit younger guy, who was super excited about it, I hope it is treating him well.
I keep researching, I use google to search, and of course most topics are covered here, but I am getting a plan together, and trying to save a few pennies up for executing the plan this winter, so come spring time when the snow begins to melt, I can head to the track and get on it.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

A properly tensioned balance shaft belt will feel 'loose' compared to everything else.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

SummitP, check out this video, from forum member, Van. It's a great videothat shows pretty exactly how tight the balance shaft belts should be.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:59 PM
SummitP
Instructor

yeah, I actually saw vans tbelt videos and watched them a couple of times, I think there were 3 in the series. I got through them before I did the job.

So I had an interesting Saturday, I took the car down to a little cars and coffee in the Salt Lake valley, and there was a nifty testarossa there. Guy was pretty cool, somebody let me know that he lets people drive it, so I chatted him up, and he was interested in my car, so I suggested we swap cars and go for a run down the freeway. He was game. I gotta say, it was pretty damn sweet to drive the car I had a poster of on the wall of my room as a young kid, (don't worry, I also had Porsche posters on the wall).
Anyway, check it out...

So, I noticed something, as I trailed my 951 driven by the other dude, there was a small amount of bluish smoke coming from the exhaust when he would stomp on the gas. I never noticed it in my car when I was driving, but it was definitely there following. I had noticed some oil in the intake. when I had it apart earlier.
So, I was thinking of pulling the turbo this winter, now I am definitely pulling it. I spoke to Charlie at evergreen turbo, and he seems to know his sh*t. So the car is back in the garage, and the next round of work is due to begin. This one is going to be a big one.
My list of things to get done this winter is long, and I have a lot of time, once the snow hits in my neighborhood, this car isn't going anywhere until March at the earliest. November, December, January, February, and most of March, my driveway and street (which is steep) are a sheet of ice.
So here is a list of things to do.
Pull turbo and send out for rebuild. If work is kind to me, and I have he funds, maybe a k27 upgrade to the cold side.
Regardless if I pull the trigger on the k27 or not, I think I am going to pull the trigger on either the vitesse maf, or the rogue m tune.
New vacuum lines, and complete inspection of all hoses, and pretty much everything under there.
Reseal the aos, new heater valve, etc, do all the wyait projects, and just get the whole side of the engine up to ship shape.
I have an apexi avcr to control boost, a tial WG, and a aem WB to go in.

You guys have all been in there, so, what do I need to look for under the intake manifold? I was just planning on getting in there, and inspecting everything I can find, and replace what needs to get replaced. Especially things that I can get while the turbo is out.

Raleighbahn, I have had fun looking at your posts, and you seem to be a little bit ahead of me on your car, and going through much of what I have in front of me, so I will keep checking your threads.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:53 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, I would replace the speed and ref sensor harness, perhaps the injector harness and whatever other harnesses Lindsey Racing has for offer. I would install an Iceshark cable kit, get rid of the venture tubing thingy, with a straight hose from LR. Probably check the stock O2 sensor, and replace if needed. Add a 3" exhaust with a hole for a WBO2 sensor, and add an AFR/WBO2set up. Check the exhaust side for leaks, from the mani back. Inspect and replace any rubber bushes, on the front end, if needed. Pull the IC and wash it out. Replace all cooling hoses, if needed. This list can get kinda long.

Quick Reply: New 951 owner, intro, and timing belt progress, AOS?!?!