Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Stratmosphere or Forge CBV settings (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/83245-stratmosphere-or-forge-cbv-settings.html)

Mike S 08-13-2003 04:27 PM

Stratmosphere or Forge CBV settings

I have a stratmosphere adjustable CBV and I'm wondering how much I should be cranking down on the adjustment of this thing. I'm about 2/3rds the way down the thread and I'm still getting a "pffff, pffff, pfff" sound when shifting. I'm assuming from some of the threads I found that I need to crank it down some more. How many threads are showing on your cars? PS - I'm running 15psi.

Perry 951 08-13-2003 05:33 PM

Try backing it off. A little weaker spring rate may keep it from fluttering, but don't go too far or it can open under boost. You want it to have a smooth flow until almost all the boost is blown off, then a little flutter.

Asarus 08-13-2003 05:48 PM

Talking about CBV, do you think the stock CBV (or the 993 replacement) can be enough for a 15 to 17 psi usage.. ?

I'd like to keep my stock (or 993) cbv... but i wonder if i don't loose a bit of performance with it... :/

Perry 951 08-13-2003 05:51 PM

I blew out the diaphragms on 2 new valves in a short time running 18psi. It's worth buying a good piston style valve if you up the boost.

Matt Sheppard 08-14-2003 04:55 AM

I just blew my 993 part in my chips-only car. I'm not sure what does it, but these valves sure go quick. I'd say the Forge valve deserves a look. Any users comments?

Mike S 08-14-2003 12:47 PM

Well, for some reason I can't get it to not give me that "pff, pfff, pfff" sound when shifting or letting off the boost. I cranked it down all the way and then loosened it up all the way. Both had the same results. Do I need a different spring? I can't see how this valve could be torn since its all metal really. I will say that cranking it down all the way seemed to give better performance though. I think I have a good 993 one sitting around somewhere...I'll try that one tonight.

David Floyd 08-14-2003 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Mike S
Well, for some reason I can't get it to not give me that "pff, pfff, pfff" sound when shifting or letting off the boost. I cranked it down all the way and then loosened it up all the way. Both had the same results. Do I need a different spring? I can't see how this valve could be torn since its all metal really. I will say that cranking it down all the way seemed to give better performance though. I think I have a good 993 one sitting around somewhere...I'll try that one tonight.

Are we talking about a different sound than the normal sound in between shifts when you have removed the stock airbox ?

Mine makes a Chhhhhh Chhhhh and rather loud when the windows are down, I have the Turbonetics Monster blow off.

Mike S 08-14-2003 01:25 PM

Yeah...that's the sound and my airbox has been removed.....but I was under the impression that the sound was caused by the boost pressure hitting the turbine blades of the turbo and forcing them to go the opposite direction. Is this sound normal?

If so, how loose can I go with the adjustment then? Does the boost spike after I let off if its too loose?

David Floyd 08-14-2003 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Mike S
Yeah...that's the sound and my airbox has been removed.....but I was under the impression that the sound was caused by the boost pressure hitting the turbine blades of the turbo and forcing them to go the opposite direction. Is this sound normal?

If so, how loose can I go with the adjustment then? Does the boost spike after I let off if its too loose?

I think you are just hearing the normal sound of the blow off/bi pass valve recirculating the the boost in between shifts back into the intake.

I can't help with the adjustment on your unit.

CarreraCup03 08-14-2003 01:58 PM

I have a Turbonetics Monster BOV .. mine sounds more like a Rooster .. but I am venting to the atmosphere.

944turbo

David Floyd 08-14-2003 02:00 PM

Cock a doodle doo ?? :D

I bet you draw attention :roflmao:

CarreraCup03 08-14-2003 02:35 PM

It is actually embarassing.

944turbo

GaryK 08-14-2003 07:22 PM

I also have the new Stratmosphere adjustable bypass valve and it too makes a similar pfft..pfft sound when shifting. It seems to work best on my car at about the middle setting. FWIW, I'm running a T04E at 16psi. Mike S - I don't think you're having a problem with the bypass valve.

Bill 08-14-2003 08:15 PM

Mike,

I have the Stratmosphere forge valve. If you want to try mine or just go for a ride to hear it, lets hook up.

Magown 08-15-2003 09:58 PM

Originally posted by 944turbo
It is actually embarassing.

944turbo

I have to agree, you hit the nail on the head it is embarrassing and it does sound like a roster. I've been ridding around with a Godzilla BOV venting to the atmosphere for about a week now and honestly find myself not wanting to push the car into the boost when other people are present.

I'm wondering if converting it back to a CBV configuration and venting it back to the turbo inlet will muffle the sound to a respectable level.