Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Rear brake pads clunking... (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/828068-rear-brake-pads-clunking.html)

Tom M'Guinn 08-06-2014 11:51 PM

Rear brake pads clunking...

Ever since changing my rear pads with the Textar pads sold by Pelican, my rear brakes clunk when I back up and brake. They seem to be sliding back and forth in the calipers because they clunk the first time I brake in reverse, and then the first time I brake going forward again. Once they clunk, they don't clunk again until I change directions again...

Anyone else have this?

Anyone have a street pad they recommend instead? Not interested in track pads -- just something basic for the street that fills the caliper and isn't a big squealer.....

gpr8er 08-07-2014 12:39 AM

I run the cheapest pads there are for street use, Mintex. Work fine, no squeal. Did about 4 hard stops from about 90 and that's when they say uncle. Was out doing some vids with a friend.

For the track I swap over to Porterfields.

ehall 08-07-2014 02:30 AM

Do they perhaps need shims?

George D 08-07-2014 03:28 AM

Shims, maybe. Loctite Disc Brake Quiet Stick. Get it won't solve rotor issues, but will help with the pad's movement. $10.00 for the stick is worth a try.
Your local parts place likely has this in stock. Your pads will still move a few mm's, but you won't hear it.

blown 944 08-07-2014 10:11 AM

Done a lot of brakes, and some of the backing metal is smaller and leaves a gap. Usually, I try to get any her brand that fit tighter.

I always use what we call "glue". You may be able to quiet them for awhile. Use it liberally on the ends and on the carrier. Let it dry before reinstalling

rlm328 08-07-2014 10:28 AM

Could it be your e-brake that is the issue and not the disc brakes. Some times when they are falling apart they make weird noises. The rear discs are normally pretty well locked in place.

User 52121 08-07-2014 11:15 AM

Yep mine do this, and I run OE Porsche pads.

I just live with it.

Tom M'Guinn 08-07-2014 11:30 AM

Thanks guys. I've tried the glue-like orange gel gunk on the pads and it didn't seem to do much. Is there a shim for the rear 86 brakes? It could be the parking brake, though it started when I changed pads. I'll investigate eventually...

On a side note, I use a silicon based blue grease to manage the squeal (made for brakes) -- it works well, though needs to be reapplied at least twice a year...

Tom M'Guinn 09-02-2014 11:36 PM

Any recommendation for pad that fits an 86 without shifting back and forth and making that infernal clunking noise? I put orange goo on the edges of all the pads, and it helped dampen the clunk somewhat, but still annoying. Looking closely, I can see that all of the pads are about 4 or 5mm shorter than the caliper area, so they just slide and clunk whenever I change directions.... These are Textar pads from Pelican... I'm not looking for anything special, just a decent street pad that fits.