Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Aero for the track guys... a basic resource.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:10 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aero for the track guys... a basic resource.

http://superhachi.com/theory/downforce/

Pretty decent site for basic fundamentals.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
Old 07-12-2014, 02:04 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

In a nutshell.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like this page too. I found it when I started to look for the different aero tools for my car.
Pretty decent site for basic fundamentals.
Are you considering different aero tools?
I am very interested about the different aero options for our cars. Do not hesitate to share.
I will receive my wing and build my splitter next week.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent basic theory on body development for club racers.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Our cars have some low hanging fruit, aerodynamically: Not bad from the factory for its day, but could still stand some improvement: Undertray, wheel spats, diffuser, better nose design, elimination of pop-up headlights, better mirrors, better engine bay cooling flow, etc.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:36 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

There's a ton of stuff that can be done but it also depends on what rules you have to comply with. If you have the opportunity to work with an Aerodynamicist it's well worth it imho. We have made pretty big inroads via some mostly simple changes. Some not so simple but it's up to you and the rules as to how far you can go.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:32 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

just book some tunnel time, carry lots of cardboard and tape ....
Old 07-18-2014, 07:59 PM
alpinewhite951
Advanced

Has anybody consider cutting out a portion of the firewall/bulkhead metal between the engine compartment and the area where the HVAC fan area is? would it allow air to flow better out of the intercooler past the engine, and into to low pressure area at the bottom of the windshield. I am in no way an aerodynamic expert, but it makes sense to me. If it is a bad idea, why?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:06 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinewhite951
Has anybody consider cutting out a portion of the firewall/bulkhead metal between the engine compartment and the area where the HVAC fan area is? would it allow air to flow better out of the intercooler past the engine, and into to low pressure area at the bottom of the windshield. I am in no way an aerodynamic expert, but it makes sense to me. If it is a bad idea, why?
The HVAC will suck in all kind of engine odors into the cabin then. That's why there's a seal on the firewall to prevent this. But if you don't care about this, you can eliminate this, or the easiest way would be to put a few washers on the hood hinges to prop the rear of the hood up for venting.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The base of the windshield is actually a high pressure zone. Air would be rushing in and get turbulent and might hurt more than help. But maybe the theory could be wrong, if someone with data logging software did some tests it could be interesting to see what happens with removing the rubber strip or propping up the rear of the hood.

I don't like how the intercooler has no proper extraction either.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:48 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Venting the hood makes more sense. If done properly.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:25 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A hood vent is a great idea since it allows more air to go over the car where the bodywork is more slippery, rather that having the air from the fmic flow under the car where there's more turbulence. It would also reduce lift. It should be placed slightly behind the top of the radiator where the curve of the hood begins to flatten out, and it would help to have a small lip on the front edge of the vent to help kick the air up.

Here's another good source for aero info. It's a little more in depth but it's well written. Check out all 5 parts. http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=108656
Old 07-19-2014, 03:45 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Some great reading there .................CHEERS
Old 07-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting question. Actually I thought about it when I installed my hood vents but I just removed the rubber seal for now.
What I know is that I have a lot of turbulence in this area. The rear section of my my FG hood is moving a lot a high speed. I can see it from the cockpit.
I may have too much air coming from my front bumper and trying to find an exit.
In term of aero, I am still questioning about this big gap between the hood and the windshield. I have no battery and ventilation unit, just the wiper system and the fuse box. This big opening with an empty space may create some turbulence too.
I also saw few cars with a spoiler or deflector at the end of the hood.

On race cars, do you guys close this opening? (between the hood and the windshield)
Or do you open the the engine bay as alpinewhite951 mentioned?

Quick Reply: Aero for the track guys... a basic resource.