Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My car crushing lap record on Swedens no 1 track

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Here is another very informative technical training guide for BW EFR BB turbos.. Sexy stuff

http://www.full-race.com/articles/efrturbotechbrief.pdf

Sorry for OT.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:20 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
When you say 'much quicker' what are you talking? I don't have my logs to hand but I wonder just how much more linear another turbo might be. With a track only car between those normal rpms I don't think we would need to be a lot more responsive than they are already. Gustaf and I share almost the same turbo although he runs higher c/r than our car. My impression is that I wouldn't want it to kick in much earlier than it already does. See either of our videos for visual confirmation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCA8...ature=youtu.be

Porsche 944 Turbo GTR lap record on Mantorp Park 1:19.348 - YouTube
It's more Tq earlier and longer also beats it hands down for power/Tq up to our tested 37 psi.

Originally Posted by Thom
Agreed. In fact I would steer clear from Precision turbos.
This must be their earlier attempts, this i can agree with, currently not so, reliability is not an issue and since we are talking race cars, not 100K delivery vehicles..

Originally Posted by Voith
This dissection of Precision/Garrett would make me steer clear of precision turbos..

http://www.turbodirect.co.za/site/in...d=26&Itemid=20
Again i could not find production date of turbo's used, a few years ago , after Garrett and Precision fell out, there stuff were bad. They have since fully revamped their turbo's a couple of years ago and these are the ones we used in development. So over the last 2 yrs much better stuff, For the record and prior to this i would never have recommended Precision turbos, horrible peaky stuff for drag racing only, not so today..

Garrett is well Garrett , but there are other alternatives and hey I'm still a big fan of KKK and a few of the BW are not bad too, the best journal bearing turbo's hands down were the Mitsubishi Greedy turbo's, Period !!!

Head to head with Garrett's I now favor the Precisions, this is not to say the Garrett is not a good choice.

YMMV
Old 07-11-2014, 04:25 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Lol... you tell us when your engine is running, ok?
Hey now .......
Old 07-11-2014, 04:26 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
Yes I couldn't wish for better response than with the current setup. And this is with the large turbine housing. It was my old engine that had high CR, this one is below 9.

Note that the car is just running 1.0-1.1 bar of boost in the video. With 1.2-1.3 bar I saw a reduction in acceleration times of 10%. Would be interesting in the name of science to turn it up to "11" but since the car obviously is quick enough for lap records as is why bother

I need to tune the driver (me)
Fixed boost..!

You should be power mapping that car for that circuit, well if you really wanted that 997 lap record ..
Old 07-11-2014, 10:00 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

GTX3582R will be way too large on a 2.5 engine.
Its about the VE of the engine for that comment isnt it. a LOT of 2.0 motors use that turbo to great effect, i.e. F20C.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:01 PM
NZ951
Race Director

PS Duke the car looks amazing, love the aero...

Have you thought about the new Borg Warner FMW or EFR turbos? They seem to perform really well.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:55 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

There's always something better, faster, lighter, smarter...but I agree with Gustaf. So far the car is going very well and the money can be spent elsewhere. Aero is something that seldom gets mentioned in here. Seems to be largely overlooked in the U.S. at this sort of level anyway. After a point where power starts to become proportionally more expensive, aero is often the cheapest way to make big gains in lap-times. The Time Attack style format that we have focused on allows greater freedom in this field and that's why some of these cars are producing ridiculous laptimes. Sure, it's not 'Real Racing' but for most small self funded teams that just isn't an option. Time Attack allows us to build up our cars into something pretty interesting and still very satisfying. For the older set, it is either just totally off the radar or they think of it in the same terms as Drifters and therefore don't pay much heed to it. As a format though it is growing world wide and I can't see it waning for some time. We have an event down here each year (World Time Attack Challenge) that I hope Gustaf can oneday attend. It attracts cars from USA, UK, Europe, Japan, NZ and Oz. So I guess we are entered in the World Titles.

My drawn out point is that the 'New' Precision might be better than the equivalent GTX turbo but probably not by enough to swap over at this time. I like the EFR turbos too. Thought it might be a bit too big to fit but a guy in the UK is doing a very good job of fitting one. Helps to have some seriously good fabricating skills. Worth a look. http://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17459
Old 07-12-2014, 02:03 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Thats some dedicated fab work. WIll be interesting to see how it performs. Seems a little small, I would have though the 8374 would be the go at least, but I guess for 450HP it will be good enough!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes, very nice fabwork. I think for the car he intends, it's the right turbo.

Gustaf...sorry for getting off topic a bit but hopefully some of it is in context.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Its about the VE of the engine for that comment isnt it. a LOT of 2.0 motors use that turbo to great effect, i.e. F20C.
Obviously yes. Cam choice is also IMO critical on how a 951 engine will perform with a given turbo, etc.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:49 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Duke,

My apologies if i dragged this off topic, my input was not a suggestion for change , just passing on some data which could have been useful or not ...

Ciao.....
Old 07-12-2014, 02:51 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
There's always something better, faster, lighter, smarter...but I agree with Gustaf. So far the car is going very well and the money can be spent elsewhere. Aero is something that seldom gets mentioned in here. Seems to be largely overlooked in the U.S. at this sort of level anyway. After a point where power starts to become proportionally more expensive, aero is often the cheapest way to make big gains in lap-times. The Time Attack style format that we have focused on allows greater freedom in this field and that's why some of these cars are producing ridiculous laptimes. Sure, it's not 'Real Racing' but for most small self funded teams that just isn't an option. Time Attack allows us to build up our cars into something pretty interesting and still very satisfying. For the older set, it is either just totally off the radar or they think of it in the same terms as Drifters and therefore don't pay much heed to it. As a format though it is growing world wide and I can't see it waning for some time. We have an event down here each year (World Time Attack Challenge) that I hope Gustaf can oneday attend. It attracts cars from USA, UK, Europe, Japan, NZ and Oz. So I guess we are entered in the World Titles.

My drawn out point is that the 'New' Precision might be better than the equivalent GTX turbo but probably not by enough to swap over at this time. I like the EFR turbos too. Thought it might be a bit too big to fit but a guy in the UK is doing a very good job of fitting one. Helps to have some seriously good fabricating skills. Worth a look. http://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17459
Depends, faster is enuff for me .....
Old 07-12-2014, 06:12 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Faster = faster, true. Just depends on how you want to, or can get there. Swapping out to another turbo isn't so difficult (although not necessarily bolt in) but if the current one is going well enough then spending that extra few grand on materials to make Aero changes might be more significant.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:37 PM
NZ951
Race Director

You would have to really thank WTAC for spreading the aero popularity. Its always been in motorsport, but WTAC have taken it to the extreme on a large scale. Pikes peak also helped.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:29 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Agreed. Since we're playing for big money financial rewards though, we spare no expense! (That's a self Eye Roll...)

Quick Reply: My car crushing lap record on Swedens no 1 track