Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Just my .02
!
And worth every penny!

At the risk of feeding another troll I'm going to say this one more time; if you don't have anything to contribute on the subject other than "look it up", please move on.

I'd like to engage in conversation with someone who's actually DONE THIS. Are we clear?

I not only know how to search things, I WAS ONE OF THE PEOPLE THAT INVENTED THE DAMNED TECHNOLOGY!

You're certainly right about the woeful state of this site's search engine. I don't complain about it, I just deal with it. I suggest you do the same?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:03 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Haven't done 16v, but I did do a 3.1L 8v and wouldn't mind sharing my experience.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:17 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Haven't done 16v, but I did do a 3.1L 8v and wouldn't mind sharing my experience.
One of the things I'm looking for; an experienced opinion on 8 vs. 16.

Right now I'm running a 32V 928S as a street/TT car and have a duplicate of it I'm using as a donor for restoration parts. The plan was to build the donor to a track car but experience with the street/TT car is leading me to abandon the idea completely in favor of a 944, I've become convinced that while the 928 is an outstanding GT, it will never be an outstanding track car. Porsche seems to agree on that topic.

However, while I was in the planning stages i was convinced I'd be best off pulling the 32V heads off the parts car and going with the 16V Euro spec heads if I wanted to do anything at all to the engine. Naturally, I question the idea of putting a 16V head on the 944 (same engine) and so was thinking I'd be best off boosting an 8V 944.

Your opinion?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:23 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Really should get some of the guys with 16v turbos to chime in here as I have zero experience with them. I chose not to go that route for cost and streetable power band. Chris White care to chime in?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:58 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

If you want to spend a relatively small amount of money on new pistons, rods, turbo, intake (limited availability) and a way of controlling the motor via Piggy back tech ala Vitesse/Rogue or a full standalone. Then you can either custom make some headers or modify the turbo ones with the S2 flanges. Plus all seals and gaskets. That will get you a blown S2 motor. Add suspension, brakes, clutch, cooling etc plus whatever the bodykit, prep, paint etc costs.

In terms of economic sense in the U.S. it doesn't make any. In terms of what the end result is and how cheap it is compared to true Supercars...it's hella value.

Look at the videos of JET951 on the track keeping up and passing GT3's and GT2RS's. A seriously amazing little beast can be built out of what you're looking at. Much more nimble than the 928 which will give you the best of both worlds.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:59 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 333pg333
After reading this thread I can say it's exactly the information I was looking for. I still have questions about heads and body/suspension mods, but this was the central issue. I doubt I'd have found it on my own.

Thanks,
Old 05-16-2014, 03:03 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Look at the videos of JET951 on the track keeping up and passing GT3's and GT2RS's. A seriously amazing little beast can be built out of what you're looking at. Much more nimble than the 928 which will give you the best of both worlds.
I have and I like it very much. I understand there were some upset 930 owners who met that car A good friend of mine raced 951 S2s in the early 90's and it was experience with his cars that has attracted me to this build. I only wish I'd bought one earlier.

Nimble is the key and I understand that comment perfectly.

PS: I'm still keeping the 928 After 30 years I can't really give her up. I'm just looking for a mistress...

Thanks again,

Last edited by Pfc. Parts; 05-16-2014 at 03:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-16-2014, 03:23 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

In terms of economic sense in the U.S. it doesn't make any. In terms of what the end result is and how cheap it is compared to true Supercars...it's hella value.
An old teacher of mine used to say "it's not the destination, it's the journey". If I were to stumble on a finished car (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...or-sale-3.html for example) I'd probably buy it. But I don't expect to get that lucky and since I spend much more time in the shop than I do on the track, building one is probably going to be more satisfying, even if it is crazy. I've never been short on crazy.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:55 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I assumed it was directed at me due to my post being quoted.
As well you should have. It was a very embarrassing mistake on my part. You have my sincere apologies.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:41 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

That deal in the link you posted re the track car is really good value. I know you're kinda bent on doing it yourself but there's still a heap of things you could do to 'make it your own'.

I'm not entirely sure you are totally aware of the differences, or lack of, with the various 944 models.
Essentially the 944 n/a is much lighter to start with. You could buy one of those for pittance and gut it which would give you a bit more lightness to start with. Depending on just how light you want to go and how many non metal parts you want to install. After that there was the turbo version (951) that was introduced in 1986. It is purported to be lighter than the following years but that may just be down to less options. The turbo went through to about 90 or maybe 91. Then the S2 came out. It was essentially the same body with a 3L twin cam 16v n/a motor in it. It was never released from the factory with forced induction. It lasted a couple of years and they then brought out the 968 which was a different body and while it also had a 3L 16v motor it had a bit more hp/tq.

If you want to just start a project and finish with a light fast nimble car...buy that one you linked to or start with an '86 and 'do your thing'. Check Cyril's thread for some very nice workmanship.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...fc-racing.html

These cars can be built to go pretty damn fast. There are plenty of people in the U.S. who will tell you to just install a V8 and avoid the heartache on trying to improve upon what is in reality a tractor engine. It's up to you to decide how 'pure' you want your car to be. I'm still running an 8v i4 Porsche motor and it's proving to be reasonably fast in the company of notable Porsche machinery. :-)
Old 05-16-2014, 01:18 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There was a pretty nice 550 RWHP 1989 Turbo "S" with a turbo charged '94 968 3.0L last month in Portland, Oregon. Not sure if it is still for sale, but at only $30K that is a steal. You would be looking at nearly twice that to build on your own. You could spend the rest of leftover money making it your own.

Last edited by URG8RB8; 05-16-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:32 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Check out Turbotims build on his S2.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:29 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ramius665
It uses search or it gets the hose again.
hahaha
Old 05-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

That deal in the link you posted re the track car is really good value. I know you're kinda bent on doing it yourself but there's still a heap of things you could do to 'make it your own'.
The way I ended up finding that car was by looking for a "made" track machine. It's my impression the car was sold though. At the price he was asking it sounded like a very good deal. I plan to contact to make sure it's been sold.

I'm not entirely sure you are totally aware of the differences, or lack of, with the various 944 models.
I know the history published in Wikipedia and a few other sources, but that doesn't give me the detail you've included here. Information about what really changed between the different models is hard to come by, so knowing the early bodies were lighter but otherwise not significantly different from the earlier chassis is helpful; light is very important to me coming from a recent background with the 928. If I can take a standard chassis from a N/A car and use that as a platform it would be very good. I'd rather not start with a car that has power seats and windows that I'll need to strip anyway.

If you want to just start a project and finish with a light fast nimble car...buy that one you linked to or start with an '86 and 'do your thing'. Check Cyril's thread for some very nice workmanship.
Will do. Thanks.

These cars can be built to go pretty damn fast. There are plenty of people in the U.S. who will tell you to just install a V8 and avoid the heartache on trying to improve upon what is in reality a tractor engine. It's up to you to decide how 'pure' you want your car to be. I'm still running an 8v i4 Porsche motor and it's proving to be reasonably fast in the company of notable Porsche machinery. :-)
I'd like to stay pure. In fact what I'd really like to do is build a replica 951 Cup car; that's the approach I took with the 916. I'm not interested in trying to get the absolute fastest machine on the track and I'd never consider putting anything but a Porsche engine and drivetrain in it. I'd like to build something with the same specs Porsche used for the Cup just to completely understand what they did and to have the experience of driving that car.

Regards,

Last edited by Pfc. Parts; 05-18-2014 at 03:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris White might be a good guy to get a hold of, seeing how he's built all kinds of 3.0+L engines, 8 and 16v. He would be my first person I'd want to ask based on his first hand experience as a professional engine builder.

Quick Reply: Building a Turbo S2