Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What is this thing I circled? (vacuum diagram)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:31 PM
czentner
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is this thing I circled? (vacuum diagram)

Hi guys,

My question is, what is the name of the thing that I have circled in the below diagram? And does it matter which hose goes on what side of each nub?

I ask because I replaced my head gasket in the fall - I got the car back together and running but didn't have time to get the coolant filled before it snowed so into storage it went. I did notice that my boost gauge did not move off 1 bar when I started it up though. The two vacuum hoses I have circled were the only parts that when I was reassembling I didn't know which one went where. Would reversing the hoses cause the symptoms I'm describing?

Last edited by czentner; 04-11-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: fixed image link
Old 04-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a coolant temperature activated valve that allows the charcoal canister to vent fuel vapor at the correct time. I'm 99.9% sure hose orientation doesn't matter with that valve.

You may have a vacuum leak, use the following test to find leaks:
Old 04-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

No, that's not it. That is a thermo valve for your evaporative emission -- won't affect the boost gauge. Check the line going from the banjo bolt on the intake to the KLR -- cream colored tube if original. If it appears connected, check for nearby disconnected lines or leaks, such as on the fuel pressure regulator or fuel damper. Your boost gauge is showing the pressure in that cream colored line (assuming the KLR is ok).

Edit: my post crossed with Scott's. I was not disagreeing with him, but rather responding to the original post and saying that thermo valve is not the reason for the boost gauge to be stuck on 1.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:12 PM
czentner
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys! I'm going to try to get it on the road tomorrow, I'll take a closer look then.

Quick Reply: What is this thing I circled? (vacuum diagram)