Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 08:59 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm more interested in this "modern ABS" being planned. I know the 968 font hub's & spindles have the reluctor ring & stuff on them, but theres got to be a better solution, right?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:32 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
I'm more interested in this "modern ABS" being planned. I know the 968 font hub's & spindles have the reluctor ring & stuff on them, but theres got to be a better solution, right?
TonyG and a few others have retrofitted the 986 Boxster ABS system IIRC. I think there's some amount of documentation of it on here somewhere
Old 03-15-2019, 07:48 AM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hinton

what suspension are you running? I like the stance
Believe it or not ,, stock 86’ right now with either 20mm or 25mm spacers . I’ll be doing away with the spacers when I replace all the suspension with fresh late offset in the coming weeks .
Old 03-15-2019, 07:57 AM
JWebber
Racer

I made sure to buy late offset turbo components that had the ABS sensors and tone rings . I have a complete harness from a B5 chassis VW / Audi platform . Compact unit with integrated ECU . It is can enabled so it can be used with a standalone ECU for part of traction control input . Still working out all the little details at this time .
Old 03-15-2019, 09:37 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

On the topic of the pilot bearing adapter... Has anyone heard from SPEC about those custom flywheels that have the adapter built in?
SPEC is not doing it yet. I think they want to see some volume before they commit to a new design and an additional part number. I think the pilot bearing adapters will be pretty inexpensive, though. I’m getting them quoted in a batch of 20 now.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:32 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Looks great!
Probably want to fully weld one too to make sure things don't warp and the pilot bearing alignment is still good since that alignment is critical.
Originally Posted by hinton

Alan made a jig and everything will get fully welded on that. We will obviously confirm fitment again, but this should keep everything in line
Alex, absolutely... before any bellhousings are shipped, they will be inspected to confirm alignment after welding. Basically, if it comes off the jig after welding and springs or cools to a different shape... no bueno. The guy who's doing the welding is highly skilled and meticulous. It may take a few scrapped bellhousings to nail the welding process, but once he gets it, it should be very repeatable. I think we will use the welding fixture also as a go no-go gauge. In other words, if the bellhousing can be re-installed onto the fixture after the welds have cooled, then it should be good to go.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this potentially another 07k swap? I *think* it is a 07k at the end but not 100% positive. Can anyone confirm? Do you folks know these guys?
Engine pic at 8:42.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:47 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ish_944
Is this potentially another 07k swap? I *think* it is a 07k at the end but not 100% positive. Can anyone confirm? Do you folks know these guys?

video
Yup
Old 03-15-2019, 09:17 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Here’s Mike’s latest 07k vid. I am definitely NOT the white haired guy. :-)

Old 03-15-2019, 09:23 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ish_944

video
Cool video. Mike reached out to them to see if we can be of any assistance. I hadn’t realized before that ECS is in Ohio as well.

Last edited by vt951; 03-16-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:42 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

ive been thinking about a jacked up offroady 944 for years, more lately, and seeing that video might get expensive for me...
Old 03-16-2019, 10:31 AM
db9146
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like a lot of serious work Alan. Way to go!!!! Looks great! Can't wait to see and hear how the welding and final check of the bellhousing goes.

Last edited by db9146; 03-16-2019 at 10:33 AM. Reason: add to comment.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:43 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JWebber
I made sure to buy late offset turbo components that had the ABS sensors and tone rings . I have a complete harness from a B5 chassis VW / Audi platform . Compact unit with integrated ECU . It is can enabled so it can be used with a standalone ECU for part of traction control input . Still working out all the little details at this time .
There are a variety of systems encompassed by the VAG ABS units. The B5 era featured changeover from EDL-only to EDL and ESP. (Electronic Diff Lock, Electronic Stability Control). The harness is different between non-ESP and ESP cars. The ABS units and pump system are also different. In all cases I think the ABS system regulates brake bias.

If it is a non-ESP car, the traction control system is the EDL software, which mimics a locking diff using wheel speed signals and applying brakes to one side. The EDL system won't limit total wheelspin, only relative wheelspin L/R.

An ESP car has EDL but also has an ESP system which will brake one wheel as seen fit to attempt to neutralize the car's behavior if a certain threshold is met of the yaw sensor, accelerometer, steering angle sensor, requested throttle, wheel speed, etc. The ESP system will also limit total wheelspin.

The traction control system itself is primarily designed for slippery conditions and does not function above 50mph/30kmh.

For the FWD cars there is another system called ASR, which to my knowledge is just EDL. It's function is limited to a lower vehicle speed I think.

It's worth noting that the software coding is written for a car that has a roughly 60/40 F/R weight bias and either FWD or AWD, depending on the application. It probably won't work well in a car with different dynamics.

It's important to note that traction control and stability control are NOT the same thing. Traction control is very often mistakenly used to refer to stability control, even at the manufacturer level.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 03-17-2019 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:02 PM
JWebber
Racer

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
There are a variety of systems encompassed by the VAG ABS units. The B5 era featured changeover from EDL-only to EDL and ESP. (Electronic Diff Lock, Electronic Stability Control). The harness is different between non-ESP and ESP cars. The ABS units and pump system are also different.

If it is a non-ESP car, the traction control system is the EDL software, which mimics a locking diff using wheel speed signals and applying brakes to one side.

An ESP car has EDL but also has an ESP system which will brake one wheel as seen fit to attempt to neutralize the car's behavior if a certain threshold is met of the yaw sensor, accelerometer, steering angle sensor. The ESP system will also limit wheelspin in a low-grip situation.

The traction control system itself is primarily designed for slippery conditions and does not function above 50mph/30kmh.

For the FWD cars there is another system called ASR, which to my knowledge is just EDL. It's function is limited to a lower vehicle speed I think.

It's worth noting that the software coding is written for a car that has a roughly 60/40 F/R weight bias and either FWD or AWD, depending on the application. It probably won't work well in a car with different dynamics.
I know I have a little work to do once everything is installed . I am currently messing around with VCDS to see if I can make the necessary changes . I know a couple people that do custom coding , I just want to see if I can do it on my own first before reaching out to them . As you also said , the weight bias will need to be accounted for . I need to get the car corner weighed so that I have numbers to go off of .
Old 03-16-2019, 07:05 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by db9146
That looks like a lot of serious work Alan. Way to go!!!! Looks great! Can't wait to see and hear how the welding and final check of the bellhousing goes.
Thanks! We’re currently machining the mounting plate for the clutch release bearing. I should hopefully have it done tomorrow. I also have the clutch hydraulic line and fittings on order to connect to the factory master cylinder. I want to test with that first to see if it has enough displacement for the Solstice slave.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread