Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 02:51 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I just kicked off tooling for the intake manifold. My wallet is a lot lighter now!

I added a mounting boss on top that will be used to mount a throttle cable bracket for everyone who wants to use the VR6 TB (or any cable driven TB). For those who prefer the 07K drive by wire TB (or the larger 997TT one), it makes a nice spot for a little logo placard. :-)

Old 02-28-2019, 05:04 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Prototype bellhousing pieces (finally!)

Old 02-28-2019, 05:24 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

crap that thing could be a jackstand for a Semi truck.

solid! looks cool.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:36 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks awesome!
Old 02-28-2019, 06:41 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

very cool Alan
Old 02-28-2019, 07:11 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
crap that thing could be a jackstand for a Semi truck.

solid! looks cool.
Yeah I bet it could! Maybe a whole other market I didn’t think of...
Old 02-28-2019, 07:54 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Looks awesome!
Originally Posted by SamGrant951
very cool Alan
Thanks! Everything fits together really well so far. This weekend, we’re planning to build a jig to accurately locate the engine face to the torque tube face. Then tack it together and test fit in the car with flywheel and starter.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:49 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like things are picking up a little speed . How long do you expect before production on the intake since the transfer of funds ?
Old 03-01-2019, 05:29 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JWebber
Looks like things are picking up a little speed . How long do you expect before production on the intake since the transfer of funds ?
I think I should have the prototype within a month. Then, if all is perfect, production can start soon thereafter. If there are casting issues or machining / fitment problems (which would not be a surprise at all) then we will need to do some design iteration or process iteration before production. So, I would estimate 6 to 10 weeks before a production run starts. Hopefully closer to 6...
Old 03-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Joseph350
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m interested in doing this swap in the future. I have a few questions about it, although I won’t be able to get anywhere near this project for a while (rebuilding a wrecked ‘83). First, can the 07k factory ecu be (relatively) easy to integrate with a stock engine? I would like to do a NA swap into a spare ‘83 I have at first and then go standalone turbo in another chassis. Along with that, will the ecu work with the cable TB from the VR6? As in, does it need an input from the drive by wire TB or does a TPS take care of that? And lastly I know this is a bit too soon to ask but is there a ballpark figure for final pricing of a complete swap kit?

thanks, I really admire all the work you guys are doing to make this swap widely available.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:04 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joseph350
I’m interested in doing this swap in the future. I have a few questions about it, although I won’t be able to get anywhere near this project for a while (rebuilding a wrecked ‘83). First, can the 07k factory ecu be (relatively) easy to integrate with a stock engine? I would like to do a NA swap into a spare ‘83 I have at first and then go standalone turbo in another chassis. Along with that, will the ecu work with the cable TB from the VR6? As in, does it need an input from the drive by wire TB or does a TPS take care of that? And lastly I know this is a bit too soon to ask but is there a ballpark figure for final pricing of a complete swap kit?

thanks, I really admire all the work you guys are doing to make this swap widely available.
Jeff,

A lot of your questions have been covered before in this thread, but it is getting to be pretty long, so I'll summarize:
1. It seems that the factory ecu could be used if the vehicle anti-theft / immobilizer function could be disabled. Special equipment is needed to do that to the ecu. I recommend going with a standalone system such as Performance Electronics that will include a brand new 944/07K wire harness.
2. I don't know if the VR6 TPS signal is compatible with the 07K ecu (but it will be compatible with the PE standalone). Seems like it could be possible to get it working with the factory ecu, but maybe some of our VW electrical experts will chime in? JWebber?
3. Final pricing has not been announced yet for the complete kit, but the target is around $4k total for bellhousing, intake manifold, oil pan, engine mounts, oil adapter block, valve cover, breather box, PS pump mount, as well as all hardware and gaskets to mount these parts. As with any swap, there will be additional items needed, but these are the core components that I plan to offer as a package or a la carte. If I were you, I'd budget for an additional $4k for additional items on top of my $4k kit cost to get a complete setup running... turbo, engine management, clutch, etc.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Joseph350
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
Jeff,

A lot of your questions have been covered before in this thread, but it is getting to be pretty long, so I'll summarize:
1. It seems that the factory ecu could be used if the vehicle anti-theft / immobilizer function could be disabled. Special equipment is needed to do that to the ecu. I recommend going with a standalone system such as Performance Electronics that will include a brand new 944/07K wire harness.
2. I don't know if the VR6 TPS signal is compatible with the 07K ecu (but it will be compatible with the PE standalone). Seems like it could be possible to get it working with the factory ecu, but maybe some of our VW electrical experts will chime in? JWebber?
3. Final pricing has not been announced yet for the complete kit, but the target is around $4k total for bellhousing, intake manifold, oil pan, engine mounts, oil adapter block, valve cover, breather box, PS pump mount, as well as all hardware and gaskets to mount these parts. As with any swap, there will be additional items needed, but these are the core components that I plan to offer as a package or a la carte. If I were you, I'd budget for an additional $4k for additional items on top of my $4k kit cost to get a complete setup running... turbo, engine management, clutch, etc.

Thanks for your interest.
Thanks, if the stock ecu will require work to become functional I would rather go the extra mile and go standalone. I think i could get the swap done within a future budget staying NA which was the plan. Thanks for the info I haven’t been able to read through all the 60 something pages of this thread lol.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:25 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can`t add anymore . The factory ECU has to be " cracked " so to speak to get around the Immo or anti theft system . The cost to do that will range anywhere from $200 to $500 from most shops that are equipped to handle the ME13.5 code . Add a tune to that and you are looking at the cost of a decent standalone system . I wanted to go the low cost route and do the NA thing with the factory ECU ,,,, but I can`t justify spending that kind of money just to make it run and no way for me to retune it once the turbo comes into play .
Old 03-06-2019, 08:25 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joseph350

Thanks, if the stock ecu will require work to become functional I would rather go the extra mile and go standalone. I think i could get the swap done within a future budget staying NA which was the plan. Thanks for the info I haven’t been able to read through all the 60 something pages of this thread lol.
Yeah it’s a lot to read. Starting out NA will definitely save some $ up front and I don’t think much is really lost or wasted. It may even be possible to use the stock 07k exhaust manifold. The collector flange will need to be changed as it interferes with the 944 body a little bit, but it seems doable.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:29 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951

Yeah it’s a lot to read. Starting out NA will definitely save some $ up front and I don’t think much is really lost or wasted. It may even be possible to use the stock 07k exhaust manifold. The collector flange will need to be changed as it interferes with the 944 body a little bit, but it seems doable.
That's my plan. I chopped the pipe right after the flange when I pulled the engine out of the donor car, and I'll be fabricating some sort of adaption, so when I get around to dropping it into engine bay I'll report on what needs to be changed. But that won't be until around May.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread