Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 07:59 PM
993 Dream
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951

I think there will be enough room to route the coolant line(s) from the back of the engine around the driver side, under the intake manifold and brake booster.

As for the fitting in back, there’s a little over 60mm (almost 2-1/2”) from the mounting face of the fitting to the standing seam on the firewall. So, there should be plenty of room for a fitting. It might be tough to remove with the engine installed due to the long studs that it mounts on, but maybe that’s not necessary. We can just treat this fitting as a permanent piece of the engine that moves the coolant port to a more accessible location.

I agree there will be room. There shouldn't be an issue running a coolant line off the back of the motor under the intake manifold to the top of the radiator. If you plan to have heat in the car then the factory coolant flange and thermostat housing might work. The one piece that really needs to be changed IMO is the thermostat housing cover, which connects to the lower radiator hose. When swapped longitudinally it points toward the firewall meaning the hose has to turn 180 degrees. Ideally a new thermostat cover could be designed to replace the existing piece with a hose that points straight off the housing. Anyone with CAD software want to help us out?
Old 01-28-2019, 08:42 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think there will be enough room to route the coolant line(s) from the back of the engine around the driver side, under the intake manifold and brake booster.

As for the fitting in back, there’s a little over 60mm (almost 2-1/2”) from the mounting face of the fitting to the standing seam on the firewall. So, there should be plenty of room for a fitting. It might be tough to remove with the engine installed due to the long studs that it mounts on, but maybe that’s not necessary. We can just treat this fitting as a permanent piece of the engine that moves the coolant port to a more accessible location.

I need to get one of those flanges from CP-S here . I tried doing it at work with the material we have in stock to work with . With what they have made already , I can have a bolt-on solution in no time . I already have it worked out . I just went back and measured based on your measurement of 2 1/2" , should be good clearance . I plan on having a provision for the heater hose and two bungs to work with either factory sensors or aftermarket .

Last edited by JWebber; 01-28-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:10 PM
JWebber
Racer

On another note , How long before we will have a finished version of the intake ready for shipping ? I am currently looking around for another rolling shell to pick up so I can mock up everything and work out all the little things before I take my car apart .
Old 01-28-2019, 09:37 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JWebber
On another note , How long before we will have a finished version of the intake ready for shipping ? I am currently looking around for another rolling shell to pick up so I can mock up everything and work out all the little things before I take my car apart .
It could be a few months. The process is slow, and I haven't released it yet. Once I verify that the 96-98 VR6 throttle body fits, I can get it going.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:41 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
years ago TonyG witnessed the trans wiggling up and down over an inch each way during a run on an elevated dyno, his 6.whatever liter V8 was bending the torque tube just as you describe.

stock 944 BH has a fairly thick "pad" where the TT attaches so i think you're on the right track.
Yeah, I remember TonyG writing about that and thought it was amazing at the time.

I bumped up the thickness of center hub (flower petal shaped part) and gussets to 7 gauge (~3/16"). I also changed the clutch inspection port and slave service port to round holes instead of square. Looking good now:

Old 01-28-2019, 09:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Is that rear pointing coolant pipe just a pipe or does it have other built in functions?

Easy enough to fabricate a new part rather than billet-ize it.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

...If you plan to have heat in the car then the factory coolant flange and thermostat housing might work...
So.... for those of us in less temperate parts of the country who are looking to drive in...shall I dare say, less than warm temperatures.... how hard would it be to make like a "T" for the heater core from the coolant exit point? Would that be a custom aluminum job or do they make plastic "T's" for coolant hoses? I can get myself around in the world of minor fabrication, but simple is always better!
Old 01-29-2019, 08:57 AM
JWebber
Racer

If it was just a simple flange on the back of the head , it would be no problem at all . The way the 07k flange works is a little more involved . The tube coming out of the cylinder head goes through a seal in the timing chain cover . The coolant flange has a recess for that seal , then another step inside for the o-ring and it’s retainer . I’ll cut the factory plastic flange down a little and bring home a piece of tubing and take a couple pics of what I have in mind . Pics usually help with explaining things .
Old 01-29-2019, 11:05 AM
993 Dream
5th Gear

Is that rear pointing coolant pipe just a pipe or does it have other built in functions?
Yes its just a pipe, but it holds the thermostat in place. There is also an o-ring that seals the cover to the housing which makes fabricating a replacement cover more challenging.

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
So.... for those of us in less temperate parts of the country who are looking to drive in...shall I dare say, less than warm temperatures.... how hard would it be to make like a "T" for the heater core from the coolant exit point? Would that be a custom aluminum job or do they make plastic "T's" for coolant hoses? I can get myself around in the world of minor fabrication, but simple is always better!
Originally Posted by JWebber
If it was just a simple flange on the back of the head , it would be no problem at all . The way the 07k flange works is a little more involved . The tube coming out of the cylinder head goes through a seal in the timing chain cover . The coolant flange has a recess for that seal , then another step inside for the o-ring and it’s retainer . I’ll cut the factory plastic flange down a little and bring home a piece of tubing and take a couple pics of what I have in mind . Pics usually help with explaining things .
The picture below is what Webber is referring to on the back on the flange, and its one of the reasons I thought using the stock flange might be easier to use. I think there would be enough room against the firewall to run the factory option, but again, it depends on your plans around heat, etc. Hopefully my basic diagram at least explains the coolant flow.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:18 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Easy enough to fabricate a new part rather than billet-ize it.
If you're asking about the one that mounts over the thermostat on the side of the engine, I think it's just a pipe, but it also retains the thermostat. I think it would be really simple to machine from billet. iAbed could whip up the design and make them easily. I'll see if he's interested.

I think the one on the back of the engine is a little more complicated to machine because it needs to make a 90 degree bend, and potentially needs multiple branches coming off of it. Seems like more of a fabricated or cast part to me. iAbed sells cast parts that are really similar to what we need, but none are made to fit the 07K specifically.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:16 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Here’s one iAbed makes for the 1.8t. He said he can make an adapter for this to work on the 07K (thermostat housing for driver side of engine).

Old 01-29-2019, 10:34 PM
993 Dream
5th Gear

Here’s one iAbed makes for the 1.8t. He said he can make an adapter for this to work on the 07K (thermostat housing for driver side of engine).
That’s exactly what I was hoping would happen! Great news, that would make it really easy.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:02 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pictures are always good! I had a pretty good idea of what it looked like but this helps a lot. I could understand the need for a new low profile piece for the one on the back of the engine, but if I can get away with the stock one that would be.... Cool 😉 but what I don't understand is why the one on the drivers side has to be replaced if it isn't in the way of anything. Yeah it's pointing the wrong way but bending coolant hosing with some heat and convincing shouldn't be a problem, right?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:37 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 Dream
Yes its just a pipe, but it holds the thermostat in place. There is also an o-ring that seals the cover to the housing which makes fabricating a replacement cover more challenging.

The picture below is what Webber is referring to on the back on the flange, and its one of the reasons I thought using the stock flange might be easier to use. I think there would be enough room against the firewall to run the factory option, but again, it depends on your plans around heat, etc. Hopefully my basic diagram at least explains the coolant flow.

Nice pictures. I don't know how I missed them when I replied yesterday. I'll check again if the stock piece fits on the back of the engine. I really don't think so, because the fittings are angled rather than 90 degree. Even if the fitting can be installed, it forces the hoses right into the firewall.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:36 AM
993 Dream
5th Gear

Nice pictures. I don't know how I missed them when I replied yesterday. I'll check again if the stock piece fits on the back of the engine. I really don't think so, because the fittings are angled rather than 90 degree. Even if the fitting can be installed, it forces the hoses right into the firewall.
I think my post had to be approved by a moderator or something so it showed up well after the time stamp. Although it points toward the firewall I thought there might be room to fit a pipe if it sat parallel with the cylinder head, but its always hard to judge when you're just looking at the pictures. If there isn't enough room then it looks like we will have to go the custom route (either the Webber flange or modifying a cast 1.8t flange). At one point Issam told me he was working on a cast flange for the 07k but I haven't heard any updates. Might be work asking though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread