Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 02:39 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JWebber
Seems like the weather is going south here real quick . Calling for anywhere from 6 to 12 inches of snow here . Guess I will be moving the engine and stand from the porch to the laundry room . Yes ,,,, I`m single and can do that
im so jealous......
Old 01-11-2019, 09:26 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like the weather is going south here real quick . Calling for anywhere from 6 to 12 inches of snow here . Guess I will be moving the engine and stand from the porch to the laundry room . Yes ,,,, I`m single and can do that
Hey man, I'm right there with ya. We got around 10 inches through the last two days.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 PM
Barry Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wtf... I’m in the Woodinville/Snohomish area and have a shop where I’d be VERY interested in putting a car on the road with this setup, and I do have a donor available. Found this thread by accident when looking up ECU options for a 993tt... down the rabbit hole!
Alex, I’ll be PMing you since you’re also a Washingtonian.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:10 AM
thekojent
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry Johnson
Wtf... I’m in the Woodinville/Snohomish area and have a shop where I’d be VERY interested in putting a car on the road with this setup, and I do have a donor available. Found this thread by accident when looking up ECU options for a 993tt... down the rabbit hole!
Almost in the same boat here, found this thread last week while researching things to put a spare 07k into. Recently rebuilt my 09 VW rabbit after a crash, using a donor car for most of the parts left me with a spare 07k. This is a pretty tempting build...might have to go look for a donor 944 myself.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry Johnson
Originally Posted by thekojent
Almost in the same boat here, found this thread last week while researching things to put a spare 07k into. Recently rebuilt my 09 VW rabbit after a crash, using a donor car for most of the parts left me with a spare 07k. This is a pretty tempting build...might have to go look for a donor 944 myself.
Good timing. If you guys are interested, I plan to have another batch of these parts made in a month or two, as well as the bellhousings around the same time.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:12 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So Alan , any new news on the oil pan or bellhousing ? Those two items are the last before an engine can be put into the car . I know you been busy with the first part of this and we finally made it through the holidays . Just wanted to ask and help keep this thread near the top of the page .
Old 01-14-2019, 04:20 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

So Alan , any new news on the oil pan or bellhousing ? Those two items are the last before an engine can be put into the car . I know you been busy with the first part of this and we finally made it through the holidays . Just wanted to ask and help keep this thread near the top of the page .
Bellhousing design is done, but I am currently working on double checking all of my measurements before getting the prototype pieces machined. I have been extremely busy working on my new house and getting all of the Base Kits completed and ready to ship, so that's slowed progress on the bellhousing a bit. If all goes well with the prototype, I think we could start shipping them in 6-8 weeks. I know the bellhousings have been painfully slow to get done, and I regret putting all my eggs in the Quick Time basket for so long. Unfortunately, it just didn't pan out with them. On the plus side, the ones we will be making will be considerably lighter and less expensive than the Quick Time version.

Oil pans, as I mentioned last week, I am working with iAbed on a design. Nothing to show yet. Issam may want to share more details if he gets on here.

Last edited by vt951; 04-11-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Here are some pics of the valve covers from iAbed. They are very nicely made. Note there will be breather boxes with -10 AN port for catch can. Waiting on breather boxes now, but I think they shipped yesterday.

Note that in the pic with it installed, I do not have the correct hardware. I just received these yesterday so need to order the right bolts.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:38 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Everyone who has a car with the engine pulled out, I could use your help... I'd like to get a couple measurements from everyone's car to see how far the driveshaft sticks out from the torque tube. There will be a little variability in this because of how it connects through a coupler to the trans. I'm hoping to set my bellhousing depth to best fit the range of measurements.

Thanks for your help!

Dimension "A" is the length from the torque tube mounting face to the end of the splined portion of the driveshaft.
Dimension "B" is the length from the torque tube mounting face to the tip of the driveshaft that sticks into the pilot bearing.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:31 PM
Brockoli
Intermediate

I'm planning a 1.8T swap but have been following this thread. Just measured my early 944 torque tube stick out last week:

A = 5-27/32" or 5.84" (I didn't measure this dimension directly. I did measure the tip length up to the splined section. The tip length was 3/4")
B = 6-19/32" or 6.59"

I should also mention the torque tube was not connected to a transmission when I measured this. I know that the driveshaft can move a bit inside the bearings so my dimensions may change once connected to the transmission.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:36 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I only just recently bought an engine hoist, and have less than a week until school starts back up again, so I wouldn't be able to get you a measurement until this spring. Sorry, Alan.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:44 PM
Taymar
Racer

Alan, I apologize for what is likely an eye-roll inducing question here - if this adds confusion I can delete the image. Or if it helps I can modify the image and remove the 'options'.
Went out and took a quick look at the torque tube and noticed that the ends of the splines appear to be both radiused and chamfered. The end of the pilot bearing holder also has a chamfer. I figured if I measure this from the wrong points, My measurements could be off by as much as 2mm or so so wanted to check please:

On the picture below, please could you clarify which of the X, Y, or Z measuring points you'd like used, and also the E vs. F? (I assume F but wanted to confirm).

X = point at which the splines stop being a uniform height and start to radius down
Y = point where the base of the spline grooves end
Z = 'stepped face' of the chamfered splined section/where the chamfer stops.

E = end of the uniform thickness pilot bearing section
F = absolute end face of the pilot bearing section

thank you

Old 01-17-2019, 02:51 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

:-) Y and F are the 2 points I'm looking for. Just for ease of measurement... Thanks for clarifying, though.

Is your driveshaft still coupled to your trans, I hope?

Thanks,
Alan

Originally Posted by Taymar
Alan, I apologize for what is likely an eye-roll inducing question here - if this adds confusion I can delete the image. Or if it helps I can modify the image and remove the 'options'.
Went out and took a quick look at the torque tube and noticed that the ends of the splines appear to be both radiused and chamfered. The end of the pilot bearing holder also has a chamfer. I figured if I measure this from the wrong points, My measurements could be off by as much as 2mm or so so wanted to check please:

On the picture below, please could you clarify which of the X, Y, or Z measuring points you'd like used, and also the E vs. F? (I assume F but wanted to confirm).

X = point at which the splines stop being a uniform height and start to radius down
Y = point where the base of the spline grooves end
Z = 'stepped face' of the chamfered splined section/where the chamfer stops.

E = end of the uniform thickness pilot bearing section
F = absolute end face of the pilot bearing section

thank you

Old 01-17-2019, 02:53 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brockoli
I'm planning a 1.8T swap but have been following this thread. Just measured my early 944 torque tube stick out last week:

A = 5-27/32" or 5.84" (I didn't measure this dimension directly. I did measure the tip length up to the splined section. The tip length was 3/4")
B = 6-19/32" or 6.59"

I should also mention the torque tube was not connected to a transmission when I measured this. I know that the driveshaft can move a bit inside the bearings so my dimensions may change once connected to the transmission.
I'm thinking your driveshaft probably moved forward a bit since it's not connected to the trans... my measurements are significantly shorter than yours. Thanks anyway, though.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:37 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vt951
:-) Y and F are the 2 points I'm looking for. Just for ease of measurement... Thanks for clarifying, though.

Is your driveshaft still coupled to your trans, I hope?

Thanks,
Alan
Actually, maybe it's more like Z and F that I need. I'm mainly trying to find the location of the tip that fits into the pilot bearing, relative to the TT mounting face.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread