Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 06:51 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JWebber
Soooooo , who all else is covered in a foot of snow ?
Surprisingly enough, Maine is lacking in the snow department. We had about a foot a couple weeks ago, but a good amount of it melted from the rain, so now it's just patchy and really friggen cold!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:20 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The snow has not really held me up any . Just waiting on some front spindles to get here so I can start working on the adapters for the 17z calipers up front . I have been working on a rough version of a water outlet for the back of the 07k head , more to come on that as I get it all worked out . I`m going to be recording a lot of what goes on in the shop for a future youtube channel . Between 6 project vehicles , I should be able to keep things interesting .
Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

The snow has not really held me up any . Just waiting on some front spindles to get here so I can start working on the adapters for the 17z calipers up front . I have been working on a rough version of a water outlet for the back of the 07k head , more to come on that as I get it all worked out . I`m going to be recording a lot of what goes on in the shop for a future youtube channel . Between 6 project vehicles , I should be able to keep things interesting .
awesome! If you need any tips on the channel, let me know, I’ve had a lot of trial by fire...
Old 12-12-2018, 08:54 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks like Custom Parts Service in Sweden is getting into the 07k game. They've got billet chain guides, billet intake flange, oil filter block, and a coolant flange. Hasn't looked closely enough to determine if it's for the back of the engine or for a waterpump delete.

http://cp-service.se/
@cp_service on Instagram

Old 12-12-2018, 08:59 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks like they've designed a dry sump pan too

Old 12-12-2018, 09:46 PM
JWebber
Racer

I wonder what they are charging for that coolant outlet ? It is for the back of the cylinder head ,, All those steps inside give it away . If the price is not too bad on it , I could mod it for use in the 944 chassis pretty quick .
Old 12-12-2018, 09:47 PM
JWebber
Racer

Originally Posted by hinton

awesome! If you need any tips on the channel, let me know, I’ve had a lot of trial by fire...
Thanks Mike , I need all the help I can get .
Old 12-13-2018, 06:49 AM
JWebber
Racer

I got an email back from CP-S this morning . The water outlet is intended to be for making custom parts ,, the outlet end is machined for fittings to be welded on to it . That will be perfect for what I have in mind . Just waiting to hear back .
Old 12-13-2018, 02:35 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I got an email back from CP-S this morning . The water outlet is intended to be for making custom parts, the outlet end is machined for fittings to be welded on to it . That will be perfect for what I have in mind . Just waiting to hear back .
Maybe I missed something, but what exactly is this water outlet/coolant flange used for, and is it going to be essential for the guys who intend on just cruising between streetlights,,(I.E, me lol)?
Old 12-13-2018, 03:08 PM
JWebber
Racer

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Maybe I missed something, but what exactly is this water outlet/coolant flange used for, and is it going to be essential for the guys who intend on just cruising between streetlights,,(I.E, me lol)?
There is not going to be enough room on the back of the cylinder head for the factory plastic water outlet . There are a couple steps in the back of the flange for the seal , retainer and to clear the timing cover seal , yes there is a lot going on under that flange . If one of the flanges from CP-S is cheap enough , I’ll pick up one or two and come up with a solution hopefully . Once I have something made , send it to Alan for test fitting .
Old 12-13-2018, 03:16 PM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone had any luck finding any guides or service manuals for the 07K online? I've searched for hours and can't seem to come up with anything. I was hoping to do the head gasket without needing to buy something like the Bently service manual, but I can barely find a single thread on how to do simple maintenance to the engine. Obviously there are many things that can be done without a manual, but I haven't been able to find information on changing the timing chain and can't find anything deeper than changing the valve cover gasket. I'd like to make sure I'm doing things right, and would especially like to have torque specs. The fact that so many of these were produced gave me the impression there would be a plethora of information available, but from what I can tell there isn't much. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:37 PM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EastEnd944
Has anyone had any luck finding any guides or service manuals for the 07K online? I've searched for hours and can't seem to come up with anything. I was hoping to do the head gasket without needing to buy something like the Bently service manual, but I can barely find a single thread on how to do simple maintenance to the engine. Obviously there are many things that can be done without a manual, but I haven't been able to find information on changing the timing chain and can't find anything deeper than changing the valve cover gasket. I'd like to make sure I'm doing things right, and would especially like to have torque specs. The fact that so many of these were produced gave me the impression there would be a plethora of information available, but from what I can tell there isn't much. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?
Well after posting this I was able to find this write up on doing the timing chain https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...in-Replacement So it looks like I have been searching in the wrong places. Still hoping to find a service manual PDF somewhere though.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:25 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve been really busy working on our new house, but got a chance to go and work with my brother in law this past weekend on welding the motor mount brackets. Here are some pics of that. I also test fitted then afterwards with the flywheel and pilot bearing adapter and they are right on.

Last edited by vt951; 12-20-2018 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:37 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
I’ve been really busy working on our new house, but got a chance to go and work with my brother in law this past weekend on welding the motor mount brackets. Here are some pics of that. I also test fitted then afterwards with the flywheel and pilot bearing adapter and they are right on.

thats what I’m talking about! Now where is my roll bar? Haha!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:19 PM
JWebber
Racer

I like seeing progress , I`ll say it again . I`m working on the Brake upgrade right now . Still waiting to get a price back from CP-S for the coolant flange . The holidays are messing me all up ,, had a set of late turbo spindles supposed to be delivered on Saturday ,,,, didn`t happen . Didn`t make it today for some reason either . I`m still shopping around for a set of late front control arms and a set of late rear swingarms with hubs and stub axles that have the ABS mount and ring .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread