Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 12:26 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
As long as I can keep my legs if a clutch disk decides to break somehow, (which under normal driving circumstances shouldn't hapoen, right?) I'm fine with that!
I think cold rolled steel plate should be better than cast aluminum (stock 944 BH) for absorbing a clutch... or flywheel...
Old 12-04-2018, 12:34 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
My concern wasn't about the mount bracket itself but rather the engine block, though maybe silly to question the stiffness of a monolithic chunk of cast steel...
With the torque tube and "rear mounts" the engine is cantilevered out in space, where originally there was a giant front (transverse) mount carrying the front of the weight.
OK, gotcha. Yeah I think the block would win a fight against my bracket. But, I can’t promise that... only physical testing will prove it out one way or another. I’m doing my best, but there are no guarantees expressed or implied at this point.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:24 AM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
My concern wasn't about the mount bracket itself but rather the engine block, though maybe silly to question the stiffness of a monolithic chunk of cast steel...
With the torque tube and "rear mounts" the engine is cantilevered out in space, where originally there was a giant front (transverse) mount carrying the front of the weight.
The factory transverse mount only bolts into the aluminum head and the upper portion of the aluminum accessory bracket . Also , Alan’s passenger side mount , it mounts a good bit further up the block toward the front of the engine .
Old 12-06-2018, 06:08 PM
JWebber
Racer

While I’m waiting for bits and pieces for engine swaps , I will be working on the stopping portion of the 944 build . My Cayenne calipers came in yesterday . Next is a set of late suspension to rebuild and then work out making the adapters to put it all together .
Old 12-07-2018, 04:10 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
One last teaser. Here is my "backup plan" bellhousing design. I think it might be plan A now, actually. It's lighter and will probably be less expensive than the Quick Time one. The only downside is it will not be SFI rated. But, it will be plenty strong...

How will this be fabricated Alan?

Old 12-07-2018, 04:28 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
How will this be fabricated, Alan?
Not Alan but I'll chime in here
Time, patience, and lots of grinding wheels!

Jk but looks like most of it can be cut out on a plasma table, except for the back part, which would be easier to make on a CNC machine (or lathe, if you're that ambitious), purely for accuracy needs. Then tack weld it all together. Check fitment. More welding. Deffinitely could be done at home, but as good as I am at arts & crafts, this is something I'd rather leave to some professionals.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:01 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
How will this be fabricated Alan?
Patrick,

Here's our current plan... The faceted bell shape will be made from 4 pieces of 1/8" cold rolled steel, laser cut into flat patterns, and then press broken into shape by a sheet metal fabrication company that I have been using for 10 years. The ring that bolts to the engine and the starter mounting plate will be 1/4" cold rolled steel, also laser cut. The pieces will be assembled on a jig that holds the engine plate precisely aligned to the output flange (which bolts to the front of the torque tube). The round part inside the bell will be cnc machined, and will have mounting holes for the torque tube bolts, alignment pins, and the clutch slave. That part will be aligned to the output flange on the jig using dowel pins. The entire assembly will be tacked together on the jig before removal. Then, it will be fully welded at all seams (mostly MIG) in a criss-cross pattern to minimize warpage. After it is fully welded and cooled down, the alignment will be checked on the fixture. Then the whole assembly will be powder coated.

We are planning to start by making one (mine) to test this process. If we find that the welding process causes too much misalignment, then we will have a post-machining process to true everything up before powder coating.

The fabrication and welding will be done by my brother in law, who is a master fabricator and has been a motorsports fabrication instructor at a technical college for over 20 years. I have the utmost confidence in the quality of his work. (He will also be doing the welding on my other parts, such as the engine mounts and oil pan).
Old 12-08-2018, 11:17 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the fabricated bellhousing goes ahead, might there be an option to have the exterior welds ground smooth before powder coating (for an upcharge to cover labor).

Also, would the three torque tube alignment pins be replaceable like they are on the original Porsche piece?

thanks! Great work as always.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:45 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Taymar
If the fabricated bellhousing goes ahead, might there be an option to have the exterior welds ground smooth before powder coating (for an upcharge to cover labor).

Also, would the three torque tube alignment pins be replaceable like they are on the original Porsche piece?

thanks! Great work as always.
No we will not be grinding the welds smooth. That weakens the joints, so not a good idea for a structural part such as this. Don't worry, the welds will look very good without grinding.

Yes, the alignment pins will be removable using a simple hydraulic press. The holes for the pins will be through holes, so you can push them out from the inside.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vt951
No we will not be grinding the welds smooth. That weakens the joints, so not a good idea for a structural part such as this. Don't worry, the welds will look very good without grinding.

Yes, the alignment pins will be removable using a simple hydraulic press. The holes for the pins will be through holes, so you can push them out from the inside.
Fantastic, thank you very much.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:46 PM
JWebber
Racer

Soooooo , who all else is covered in a foot of snow ?
Old 12-10-2018, 03:40 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JWebber
Soooooo , who all else is covered in a foot of snow ?
Not I, and I might even be able to get out into the garage for 5-10 minutes tonight... Having a newborn at home right now is killing my shop time!
Old 12-10-2018, 05:21 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hinton

Not I, and I might even be able to get out into the garage for 5-10 minutes tonight... Having a newborn at home right now is killing my shop time!
house renovation and 1 fot snow
Old 12-10-2018, 06:40 PM
JWebber
Racer

Originally Posted by hinton

I have no personal experience with that , but all my friends have kids and my brother . I am the blacksheep , LOL .I`ll be 46 end of next month .
Old 12-10-2018, 06:47 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JWebber
I have no personal experience with that , but all my friends have kids and my brother . I am the blacksheep , LOL .I`ll be 46 end of next month .
you are the smartest man on this thread.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread