VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 10:05 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
Here are some updates:

As I mentioned a couple days ago, bellhousings are complete and powder coated. I am pulling together all the other parts that will be shipped with them. I just got the pilot bearing adapters yesterday, and need to inspect and test fit them to make sure they are correct. I should have the pilot bearings and hardware in a few days. I’m planning to ship them late next week. If you’ve put down a group buy deposit, but haven’t placed your order on boostbrothersgarage.com, we are finally ready to go.

Our first cast aluminum intake manifold is complete and on its way to me. Overall I’d say it looks pretty good for a prototype, but there are some things they need to fix before doing a production run. It’s been a long time coming, but we are getting close!

Looks great! How did you pick the runner length?

Looks short!
Old 07-17-2019, 10:09 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should have got my upper pan today . It also looks like I need to get busy and get my money in to finish paying for my bellhousing too .
Old 07-17-2019, 10:58 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by turbogrill
Looks great! How did you pick the runner length?

Looks short!
Mostly, it was due to packaging it in the engine bay relative to the brake booster.

Plus, this engine has a lot of potential for high rpm power that some guys will want to explore. From what I understand, turbo applications won’t be as sensitive to the runner length. But NA guys who want to rev it to 9k will probably benefit from the short runners. This will be at the expense of some low rpm torque, but hopefully since 944’s are lighter than Jettas, it will still putt around town just fine.

Can’t please everyone, but hopefully it works well for most.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:58 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JWebber
You should have got my upper pan today . It also looks like I need to get busy and get my money in to finish paying for my bellhousing too .
Yup, got it, thanks!
Old 07-17-2019, 11:06 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Mostly, it was due to packaging it in the engine bay relative to the brake booster.

Plus, this engine has a lot of potential for high rpm power that some guys will want to explore. From what I understand, turbo applications won’t be as sensitive to the runner length. But NA guys who want to rev it to 9k will probably benefit from the short runners. This will be at the expense of some low rpm torque, but hopefully since 944’s are lighter than Jettas, it will still putt around town just fine.

Can’t please everyone, but hopefully it works well for most.
I like the sound of that!

How many engine has this swap and how many are running or soon running?

This would be a awesome swap for an enduro race car, 200whp NA is where you want to be with 20 gallons and 2500lbs.
If the swap survives an enduro it's a good quality stamp.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:57 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are some updates:

Our first cast aluminum intake manifold is complete and on its way to me.
Sooooo.... Does this mean bringing it to 944 fest could actually happen?!? 😆

I think it looks GREAT. Very exciting. Well done Alan.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:35 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I like the sound of that!

How many engine has this swap and how many are running or soon running?

This would be a awesome swap for an enduro race car, 200whp NA is where you want to be with 20 gallons and 2500lbs.
If the swap survives an enduro it's a good quality stamp.
None are running yet, but we are potentially within a month of having Mike's car running NA on a dyno at Performance Electronics (makers of the ECU and wire harness).

I agree with you about the enduro race car idea; I'm building one now. I also think there is good potential to run a 944 competitively in stage rally competition in the sub-2.5L NA 2wd class.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:36 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Sooooo.... Does this mean bringing it to 944 fest could actually happen?!? 😆

I think it looks GREAT. Very exciting. Well done Alan.
I'm planning to bring my car with this manifold on it, but not running yet. After the Fest, the manifold will probably go on Mike's car for dyno runs.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:43 PM
turbogrill
Racer

I'm building one now.
Something that will see WRL or Champcar?
Old 07-18-2019, 02:15 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I also think there is good potential to run a 944 competitively in stage rally competition in the sub-2.5L NA 2wd class.
Way ahead of you on that one!

My wife and I have been competing in the 2 wheel modified class in our local RallyX while we slowly prep the car for stage rally. We are shooting to have it ready for a stage rally in August of next year. The current engine has been holding strong despite my lack of mechanical sympathy, but I can't wait to get the 07k in. Primarily I want it for reliability reasons but after watching so many Audi Group B videos I can't wait to make the 5 cylinder noises as I rip up some dirt roads!

Main mods so far have just been stripping it, swapping an LSD trans, and some rally gravel tires. I'm currently giving the car a rather interesting facelift, but here is a picture of it from one of our previous events while it still had the beat up factory body panels:

Old 07-18-2019, 02:23 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Something that will see WRL or Champcar?
Yes, one of those (or both). After competing in Lemons and Chumpcar a long time ago in an NA 944 (Dragon Somethin'), I got tired of engines failing almost every race (and the associated expense). The handling and braking of the 944 were way ahead of most other cars, and I think an 07K could be the ticket to make it really competitive from an endurance standpoint.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:16 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Sweet! When are you going to show the facelifted version?

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
Way ahead of you on that one!

My wife and I have been competing in the 2 wheel modified class in our local RallyX while we slowly prep the car for stage rally. We are shooting to have it ready for a stage rally in August of next year. The current engine has been holding strong despite my lack of mechanical sympathy, but I can't wait to get the 07k in. Primarily I want it for reliability reasons but after watching so many Audi Group B videos I can't wait to make the 5 cylinder noises as I rip up some dirt roads!

Main mods so far have just been stripping it, swapping an LSD trans, and some rally gravel tires. I'm currently giving the car a rather interesting facelift, but here is a picture of it from one of our previous events while it still had the beat up factory body panels:

Old 07-18-2019, 04:18 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't really mind spilling the beans on what the plan is but I have a lot of work ahead of me to make it happen. The next race is in November so I have time but that race includes a night race so at a minimum I have to get the headlights mounted. If I have time I would like to build a light pod as well.

Anyway, here's the plan. About a year back I got a great deal on some 968 fiberglass fenders and hood that are built to house 993 headlights. I picked up a used factory bumper and the 993 headlights from ebay. I'm finally getting around to putting it all on now. The hood bolts right up to the hinges so that is already on but I'm going to have to get creative on mounting the fenders, bumper, and headlights. I also have Broadfoot GT2 flares although I'm not sure they are going to work. I feel like the tire would crash into them if I hit a big rock or, down the line, land a jump hard. Flares aren't really a priority until I get to upgrading the suspension though and the track widens. Overall I think it's going to look pretty cool on a rally build! Especially with a light pod on the front of the hood.

Unfortunately there tends to be a lot of home improvement projects that get in the way of working on the car but I'll definitely post a pic once I get it all together!
Old 07-18-2019, 04:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Re failing engines, oiling/ bearing issues or something else?

Yes, one of those (or both). After competing in Lemons and Chumpcar a long time ago in an NA 944 (Dragon Somethin'), I got tired of engines failing almost every race (and the associated expense). The handling and braking of the 944 were way ahead of most other cars, and I think an 07K could be the ticket to make it really competitive from an endurance standpoint.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Re failing engines, oiling/ bearing issues or something else?
Well, the first failure was oiling but it doesn’t count because it was done intentionally by Lemons (people’s curse). But after that, we did have one (or maybe two?) engine throw a rod through the side of the block without warning. We also had an assortment of problems with overheating and head gasket failures, AFM glitches, alternator not charging, throwing belts, and I think more that I’m not remembering. Anyway, this is a can of worms that I probably shouldn’t have opened, so I’ll leave it at that.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread