Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 01:49 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by schip43
Well I've been out of the "smog inspection game for a long time! And really you'd need to check with a BAR,station to ask questions. But in general, you can't put a truck engine in a car. The engine in use has to be "certified" for use in cars in America. And the said motor has to retain all the OEM emissions control hooked up and functional.

And I do believe for the first test, it has to go to BAR and be certified and they'll put a sticker of acceptance on it. So that would not be the time to play around with Standalone Engine Management and such. I think AEM is the only Carb certified standalone and I've head those were crap, but I don't know??

So as long as you do your research first, you'll be fine.Or you know move to Dayton NV, as long as your not burning oil ... they don't give a crap.
I just read in a Road & Track article that "in California, you don't have to have your car checked for emissions if it's from 1976 or earlier." (https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...licious-video/)

So, maybe a possibility for CA guys who want an 07K-swapped Porsche is to find a 1976 924 and use that. Could be sweet with GTS flares and front bodywork!
Old 07-09-2019, 01:54 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
I just read in a Road & Track article that "in California, you don't have to have your car checked for emissions if it's from 1976 or earlier." (https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...licious-video/)

So, maybe a possibility for CA guys who want an 07K-swapped Porsche is to find a 1976 924 and use that. Could be sweet with GTS flares and front bodywork!
Note: Only 924S is a direct bolt in for the swap kit. We haven’t been able to get our hands on a regular 924 to figure out what changes would need to be made to the engine mounts.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:37 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Today I shipped out (6) M6 button head screws to everyone who purchased a valve cover and breather box. Basically, one of the low profile 1.8T coils that we recommend using (VW part number 06A-905-115-D) was interfering with one of the breather box socket head cap screws. So, replace your breather box bolts with these button head screws and you should be good to go. More explanation in Mike's last video: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...l#post15939638

Also, as described in the same video, it will be a good idea to save the rubber/silicone boots off of your stock 07K coils to install them on the 1.8T coils so they seal properly in the billet valve cover. They just need to be trimmed down a bit with a razor knife, as shown below:

Last edited by vt951; 07-09-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:03 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinton
Note: Only 924S is a direct bolt in for the swap kit. We haven’t been able to get our hands on a regular 924 to figure out what changes would need to be made to the engine mounts.
Yeah, for a regular 924, I think either the 944 crossmember could be mounted (with some fab work), or custom engine mounts could be fab’d to bolt directly to the 924 frame.

Last edited by vt951; 07-09-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Fwiw 1976 cars still get smog in ca.

Has to be 75 or older to not need smog check, and even those technically have to retain any original emissions control devices.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:38 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Fwiw 1976 cars still get smog in ca.

Has to be 75 or older to not need smog check, and even those technically have to retain any original emissions control devices.
Well, so much for that idea...
Old 07-09-2019, 11:58 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Any pics of the rear coolant fitting and thermostat housing? Those sound interesting.

Any progress on the TTRS turbo adaptor?

Craig
Old 07-10-2019, 12:06 AM
Cjar
Instructor

What’s everyone have in mind for radiator and intercooler?

Radiators seem like it would make sense to have hot in on upper right and cold out lower left. Opposite of stock of course. Looks like custom radiators are reasonably priced from Griffin or Wizard.

Intercooler - I know some of you have 951’s, but for those of us with early 944’s under the header panel isn’t a great option. Looks like the test intake manifold on Hinton’s car points the t-body out quite a bit... something specific in mind? Or custom from someone like Wagner?

Craig
Old 07-10-2019, 12:50 AM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by Cjar

Radiators seem like it would make sense to have hot in on upper right and cold out lower left. Opposite of stock of course. Looks like custom radiators are reasonably priced from Griffin or Wizard.

Intercooler - I know some of you have 951’s, but for those of us with early 944’s under the header panel isn’t a great option. Looks like the test intake manifold on Hinton’s car points the t-body out quite a bit... something specific in mind? Or custom from someone like Wagner?

Craig
Im using the stock radiator for now, Alan is using a Wizard 3”. I’ll be running my cold air intake out of the factory snorkel hole in the drivers inner fender. Alan is using a front mount intercooler in lieu of the 951.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:51 AM
hinton
Racer

Progress

Old 07-10-2019, 08:40 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Any pics of the rear coolant fitting and thermostat housing? Those sound interesting.

Any progress on the TTRS turbo adaptor?

Craig
Sorry, no pics yet. I’ll post them when I get them.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:57 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Craig
I was looking at it last night and it seemed to me that having both on the left / driver side would work best. Its pretty easy and cheap to get an aluminum 951 radiator modified by a radiator shop like that. It’s possible that we may even offer a dual pass radiator as a product. Once we get the cooling system figured out on our cars, we’ll decide on that.

As for the intake manifold and intercooler... here was my thinking:
1. 951 guys can run a factory (or upgraded) intercooler under the header panel by putting about a 30 or 45 degree elbow on the TB inlet.
2. Those who want to run a front mount intercooler will have a straight shot towards the open spot behind the headlight bucket to get the piping around and in front of the radiator.
3. Running NA, like Mike said, the TB point right towards the factory snorkel hole.
4. For people who want to run a 968 turbo RS style hood vent, I think the TB points out far enough that the intake plumbing won’t be in the way.
5. For longitudinal Audi applications, I’m hoping that angling the TB out gives them a chance at not running straight into their core support or radiator.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:45 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Here are some pics of my current baffle and trap door design. I'm still working on the oil pickup design, so the top opening in the baffles will probably change when it's all said and done.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:31 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Are the trap doors going to be welded onto the inside of the baffle box, or rivet/bolted? Also with either option will the hinge have enough clearance to rotate without getting stuck by rubbing on the inside of the box?
Other than that, looks good. Id put that in my car in a heartbeat.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:12 PM
Cjar
Instructor

I was looking at it last night and it seemed to me that having both on the left / driver side would work best. Its pretty easy and cheap to get an aluminum 951 radiator modified by a radiator shop like that. It’s possible that we may even offer a dual pass radiator as a product. Once we get the cooling system figured out on our cars, we’ll decide on that.
Alan, are you planning to run the hot coolant from the back of the head under the intake manifold forward to the radiator?

As for the intake manifold and intercooler... here was my thinking:
1. 951 guys can run a factory (or upgraded) intercooler under the header panel by putting about a 30 or 45 degree elbow on the TB inlet.
2. Those who want to run a front mount intercooler will have a straight shot towards the open spot behind the headlight bucket to get the piping around and in front of the radiator.
3. Running NA, like Mike said, the TB point right towards the factory snorkel hole.
4. For people who want to run a 968 turbo RS style hood vent, I think the TB points out far enough that the intake plumbing won’t be in the way.
5. For longitudinal Audi applications, I’m hoping that angling the TB out gives them a chance at not running straight into their core support or radiator.
I was thinking of the front mount option for my car, maybe I can figure out how big the core/end tanks can be and estimate the piping run this weekend. Maybe I can come up with a decent intercooler design that we can leverage as a group. How many of you guys are looking at the front mount option?

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread