Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:28 PM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
Awesome progress, especially considering you’re working 80 hrs per week (which is crazy on its own).
Hasn't been easy, but the swap isn't going to pay for itself haha. Porsche engine swap + college student isn't exactly the best financial equation out there. Thankfully things have been slowing down at work and I've had a little more time to put in on the car. Would've been much easier if I was just doing the engine, but once I got started I knew I had to go full track build Those bellhousings look great! Very much looking forward to test fitting the 07K in my car and seeing how it looks in person.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:59 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Oil pan update

We’re close to getting the first modified upper pan welded up. I had to make a revision to my design to get the sheet metal to follow the machined casting better so the weld will be neater and easier, so I’m waiting on that piece. I think it will be welded within a week or so. The paper template in this pic shows the revised design.

The lower sump design is coming along. Hoping to get that released to make the parts for a prototype soon. I’m currently trying to tweak it to get a little more capacity. As it is now, the sump holds about 4.8 qts. I’d say when you add in the filter, oil lines, and oil cooler, we will want to put in about 5.5 to 6 qts. There’s a -10 AN turbo oil return built in on the psgr side, and drain plug on the driver side. I plan to use (4) 2.5” trap doors arranged in a diamond shaped baffle around the pickup.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:01 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EastEnd944
Porsche engine swap + college student isn't exactly the best financial equation out there.
Man, I hear you there loud and clear!!

Those clutch-bowls look sweet by the way, Alan! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Edit: @vt951 Wow! That pan design looks great. The baffles will probably be welded right to the upper sump with a one way hinge type design, correct?

Last edited by senior_squishy; 07-02-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:54 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Man, I hear you there loud and clear!!

Those clutch-bowls look sweet by the way, Alan! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Edit: @vt951 Wow! That pan design looks great. The baffles will probably be welded right to the upper sump with a one way hinge type design, correct?
Thanks, Spencer. I think the baffles will be welded to the lower pan, but yes I'm designing it to use one-way hinges (trap doors) made by Improved Racing: http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pa...pack-p-38.html. They have stops built in so the trap doors can't flip all the way open and stay there.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:03 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

They have stops built in so the trap doors can't flip all the way open and stay there.
Ooooo puuurrdy So, what sort of up-keep would we be looking at for these... is there any chance they might gum-up over time and it just being a matter of checking every few oil changes, or are they pretty low maintenance?

Edit: Also, if the trap doors will keep the oil towards the center of the pan near the pickup, and the drain plug is on the side, how will all the oil get out?
Old 07-02-2019, 12:38 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Ooooo puuurrdy So, what sort of up-keep would we be looking at for these... is there any chance they might gum-up over time and it just being a matter of checking every few oil changes, or are they pretty low maintenance?

Edit: Also, if the trap doors will keep the oil towards the center of the pan near the pickup, and the drain plug is on the side, how will all the oil get out?
Good question! Maybe the trap doors don’t really make that tight of a seal, so after a few minutes of draining the pan, oil would seep around them? I guess if they do seal tightly, worst case you end up hanging on to a little bit of your old oil when you change it.

I’ve never heard of any upkeep needed for trap doors. But if you drain the oil and there’s thick sludge in there, you should pull the lower pan off and clean it out. Also, figure out why there’s sludge in the first place! Hopefully sludge won’t be an issue on these motors like I’ve heard the 1.8t motors have.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:28 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Good question! ... worst case you end up hanging on to a little bit of your old oil when you change it....

I’ve never heard of any upkeep needed for trap doors.
Hey thanks! I try to think critically once in a while if it's important. I'm okay with a little bit of mixing, but you're probably right, it will likely be fine. Maybe jack up the passenger side a bit if I'm feeling proactive 😅
Old 07-02-2019, 01:39 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Hey thanks! I try to think critically once in a while if it's important. I'm okay with a little bit of mixing, but you're probably right, it will likely be fine. Maybe jack up the passenger side a bit if I'm feeling proactive 😅
It may also be possible to stick a straw or something like that into the oil drain hole and poke the trap doors open on that side. I’ll see if I can line things up to do that if possible.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:54 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It's good to see so much progress!!

I can't remember if it was posted earlier in this thread or not but I just stumbled on a youtube channel of a guy that swapped an AAN turbo in his 924. The sounds are glorious and it has me so excited to get an 07k into my car!

Here is the channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGN...oL3iBKgC-35S2A
Old 07-02-2019, 11:15 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Looks great!! Will the stock dipstick still work? Any plans for the provision of the stock oil level/temp sender?

Typically on trap door pans the drain plug is straight up from the bottom in the pickup tube cavity, or side drain plugs will have a small (1/2” dia) void under the baffles so the oil can drain. It’s not too much as to defeat the baffles.

Craig
Old 07-03-2019, 12:00 AM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 351 Likes on 232 Posts

....like the baffles are going to seal so thoroughly as to prevent oil from draining past...
Old 07-03-2019, 09:36 AM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Would the stock intake fit? I know it sucks fron performance perspective.

My racing league would require stock intake, but I can port it if possible.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:48 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cjar
Looks great!! Will the stock dipstick still work? Any plans for the provision of the stock oil level/temp sender?

Typically on trap door pans the drain plug is straight up from the bottom in the pickup tube cavity, or side drain plugs will have a small (1/2” dia) void under the baffles so the oil can drain. It’s not too much as to defeat the baffles.

Craig
Thanks, Craig. Yes, stock dipstick should work. That's why I have that weird zig zag shape on the flange (it snakes around the dipstick and the cross member).

I had though of putting the drain plug in the pickup tube cavity, but I don't like how low it would be with the plug sticking down below the pan. I have the pan about as low as possible to get as much capacity as I can. I'll look into the idea of a small void/notch in the baffle. It may work out to naturally have a little void at the corner of the diamond shaped sheet metal anyway.

Are you talking about the stock 944 oil level sensor? I don't remember seeing one on my 07k pan. Or an oil temp sensor, for that matter.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:55 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbogrill
Would the stock intake fit? I know it sucks fron performance perspective.

My racing league would require stock intake, but I can port it if possible.
If you're willing to cut a huge hole in your firewall and eliminate the HVAC blower assembly, it may be possible to run the stock intake. Not sure how it would hold up to any boost, though.

What racing league? I'm hoping to run a car in WRL and/or Champcar with my cast intake, although I'm not overly concerned about penalty laps for performance mods.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 AM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

If you're willing to cut a huge hole in your firewall and eliminate the HVAC blower assembly, it may be possible to run the stock intake. Not sure how it would hold up to any boost, though.

What racing league? I'm hoping to run a car in WRL and/or Champcar with my cast intake, although I'm not overly concerned about penalty laps for performance mods.
No problemfor WRL. But you MIGHT have to take a 50pt hit for the intake in chump. In that case you would have to use a 924s otherwise its laps.

BUT in chump they say you can use an aftermarket intake if stock doesn't fit, question is what does fit mean? People have gotten away with it when the intake points the wrong way and would require routing intake inside cockpit.
sounds like this would be ok!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread