Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 02:34 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
Hey man, thank you so much for reporting this to Mike. I would have had no idea it was going on. I can see in my RL sent messages who he was fishing, but he must have deleted all the replies from my Inbox. I changed my RL password, so hopefully he is cut off. Would be great if we could track him down somehow. Is there a good way to find out who Starsrockers@yahoo.com is?
Alan,
Sent you an Email but it looks like @JWebber has what we would need to investigate. Maybe we can collaborate and get to the bottom of it, but only if y'all are up for it.

In other news, the pre-loaded ECU that @hinton mentioned sounds pretty sweet, so long as it's affordable and possibly modifiable if in the future I decide to go boosted from NA
Old 12-28-2018, 08:43 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Alan,
Sent you an Email but it looks like @JWebber has what we would need to investigate. Maybe we can collaborate and get to the bottom of it, but only if y'all are up for it.

In other news, the pre-loaded ECU that @hinton mentioned sounds pretty sweet, so long as it's affordable and possibly modifiable if in the future I decide to go boosted from NA
I don't care to expend any more energy on the low life. Unless... if he got someone to pay, then I think we go all out to find him.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:04 AM
Chiwawa444
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the hacker's emails this morning, and was immediately thrown off by the multiple email addresses used. I messaged on RL trying to figure out what the heck was going on, and every response made me more skeptical, mostly because his grammar was horrible That, and "Alan" was spelled "Allen" sometimes... The email that he wanted me to send Paypal funds to looked like an auto-generated gmail "Ll5ydp2lk@gmail.com". Hopefully no one sent any money...
Old 12-30-2018, 10:03 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chiwawa444
I saw the hacker's emails this morning, and was immediately thrown off by the multiple email addresses used. I messaged on RL trying to figure out what the heck was going on, and every response made me more skeptical, mostly because his grammar was horrible That, and "Alan" was spelled "Allen" sometimes... The email that he wanted me to send Paypal funds to looked like an auto-generated gmail "Ll5ydp2lk@gmail.com". Hopefully no one sent any money...
Everyone I've heard from said they thought it was fishy and didn't pay. I haven't heard from all 10 people yet, but I think odds are good that nobody paid him.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:01 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Everyone I've heard from said they thought it was fishy and didn't pay. I haven't heard from all 10 people yet, but I think odds are good that nobody paid him.
I didn't receive any PM's from the scammer.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:59 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I got a pm from the guy requesting the money but luckily I was busy entertaining family for the holidays and didn't see it until after I got the email warning that it was a scam.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:22 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Hey guys, I just sent PayPal invoices out for first batch of Base Kits. If you expected to receive an invoice and did not, please let me know asap. Thanks everyone for your patience through the process of designing and building these kits.

I have a few people on wait list for this kit. I plan to start making a second batch of 10 as soon as the first batch is fulfilled/shipped. So, if anyone else would like to get in on it, let me know. The price will be a slightly higher for the second batch, except for Danny8774, autosea, and MM951 (for whom I will keep the original price, as promised). The reason for the price increase is that in the first batch, there was no profit. Once everything is tallied after this first kit, I will update the price on our web store at BoostBrothersGarage.com.

Last edited by vt951; 04-11-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:39 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I am also just finishing up drawings for the new bellhousing design, and expect to have a prototype within a couple weeks. I will keep everyone posted here on that progress. The pricing from Quick Time was much higher than expected (over double). So, I think this new design will make more sense for 99% of us. My target price is $700, but we will have to see the total parts and labor cost when the prototype is done. Anyone who wants an SFI certified bell may want to pursue further with Quick Time... they have the design and could go into production with it.

The intake manifold design is complete and I'm waiting for the foundry to get me final quote and terms. It will be a significant investment for the tooling, so I am curious how many people might want one if the price were around $800. I have not mentioned it before, but I've designed the manifold to have two throttle body options... stock 07K, or 997TT. I believe the 07K TB will be plenty large for most everyone, but iAbed suggested offering the 997TT version for higher horsepower cars. I'm thinking up to 500 hp will be fine with the 07K one, so I'm personally starting with that.

Lastly, iAbed and I are working together on an oil pan design. I don't want to steal his thunder; maybe he'll post some details here later.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:23 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Alan, do you have any measurements of the 944 hood clearance? Say maybe some reference point of the crossmember or chassis to the underside of the hood? I'd like to check my 968 to make sure I don't have less clearance, or if I do see if it would cause any issues with the valve cover or intake.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:04 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Alan, do you have any measurements of the 944 hood clearance? Say maybe some reference point of the crossmember or chassis to the underside of the hood? I'd like to check my 968 to make sure I don't have less clearance, or if I do see if it would cause any issues with the valve cover or intake.
Measure from the underside of the crossmember, front edge, center of car.... up to a point on the underside of the hood that is about 6 inches forward of the front of the crossmember. If you have about 24.5" it should clear the valve cover with a little wiggle room. Intake manifold is lower and should not be an issue.

This of course assumes that the bottom of the 968 crossmember is in the same location as a 944. Also, I'm not sure if the 968 has hood insulation, but if so that would need to be removed in a small area.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:25 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The intake manifold design is complete and I'm waiting for the foundry to get me final quote and terms. It will be a significant investment for the tooling, so I am curious how many people might want one if the price were around $800. I have not mentioned it before, but I've designed the manifold to have two throttle body options... stock 07K, or 997TT. I believe the 07K TB will be plenty large for most everyone, but iAbed suggested offering the 997TT version for higher horsepower cars. I'm thinking up to 500 hp will be fine with the 07K one, so I'm personally starting with that.
To clarify - would the manifold be available in two distinct versions, or is it universal for both throttle bodies? I'd be in for one.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:51 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Seeing as how there's not many other options to fit with the brake booster, I'd say I'm in for a manifold. Price is fine, custom work is what it is.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:47 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Taymar
To clarify - would the manifold be available in two distinct versions, or is it universal for both throttle bodies? I'd be in for one.
Two versions... The throttle body hole pattern would be drilled prior to shipment. You would pick one or the other. If you pick the 07K TB option and later want to fit the 997TT TB, there is an adapter available from iAbed.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:17 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Measure from the underside of the crossmember, front edge, center of car.... up to a point on the underside of the hood that is about 6 inches forward of the front of the crossmember. If you have about 24.5" it should clear the valve cover with a little wiggle room. Intake manifold is lower and should not be an issue.

This of course assumes that the bottom of the 968 crossmember is in the same location as a 944. Also, I'm not sure if the 968 has hood insulation, but if so that would need to be removed in a small area.
Thanks, I assume the crossmember is in the same location since suspension geometry is the same. I've currently got a 944 crossmember installed. I'll make some measurements and report back.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:18 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Also interested in the non-SFI bellhousing and intake manifold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread