Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not even want to guess how many hours you have invested in CAD design so far . I have been thinking about little things like the water outlet on the back of the cylinder head . I know space is going to be a premium on the back of the head and I have been thinking of ways to make it work out . I`m plenty capable of building one off parts , but we need a solution that is cost effective . I can come up with a simple fabbed outlet from the scrap barrel at work . My thinking is , a rough idea in physical form might help with a final product .
Old 12-01-2018, 09:52 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Speaking as someone halfway through fabbing an intake manifold from scratch, I think I'll buy the next one...

I applaud your time and efforts, it looks like it's coming together very well. Tucking the turbo inlet right over the mount is a clean solution, I like it...

I wonder if Mike will honor my Ferguson discount
Old 12-01-2018, 10:20 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Speaking as someone halfway through fabbing an intake manifold from scratch, I think I'll buy the next one...

I applaud your time and efforts, it looks like it's coming together very well. Tucking the turbo inlet right over the mount is a clean solution, I like it...

I wonder if Mike will honor my Ferguson discount
hahaha! I’m not there anymore!
Old 12-01-2018, 11:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinton

hahaha! I’m not there anymore!
me neither
Old 12-02-2018, 12:58 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JWebber
I would not even want to guess how many hours you have invested in CAD design so far . I have been thinking about little things like the water outlet on the back of the cylinder head . I know space is going to be a premium on the back of the head and I have been thinking of ways to make it work out . I`m plenty capable of building one off parts , but we need a solution that is cost effective . I can come up with a simple fabbed outlet from the scrap barrel at work . My thinking is , a rough idea in physical form might help with a final product .
yes please... that is going to be tight. I thought for a while that the OE plastic fitting might go in, but no such luck. I can give you whatever dimensions you need relative to the firewall, just pm me.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:02 PM
JWebber
Racer

Originally Posted by vt951

yes please... that is going to be tight. I thought for a while that the OE plastic fitting might go in, but no such luck. I can give you whatever dimensions you need relative to the firewall, just pm me.
10-4 . I spent the day getting all the mechanical stuff done on my A4 so I can put it back on the road once the hood and bumpers are painted this week . The old daily Passat is being sold to pay for the bellhousing , hopefully I`ll get enough back on taxes to buy the clutch and flywheel parts . So many things to juggle .
Old 12-03-2018, 08:09 PM
JWebber
Racer

I did a little checking today after work on throttle bodies . The older MK3 VR6 drive by cable versions from 96` through 98` have the same bolt pattern as the 07k one . I have already found a pinout to wire it in for anybody that was going the standalone route . Included is a pic of the pinout for reference .

Old 12-03-2018, 09:54 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Here are some progress updates...

My redesigned driver side engine mount which fits on iAbed’s oil adapter block (not welded or powder coated yet, obviously)

The iAbed oil adapter block comes with everything shown, except the oil pressure sensor, which I pulled from the stock 07K oil adapter on my engine.

It even has an oil pressure regulator built in.

The iAbed 1.8t power steering pump mount and pulley. This is a special version of the bracket to for 944’s. It had to be spaced further out to clear the 944 rack. You have to rotate the hose fitting on the pump up about 45 degrees so it doesn’t run into the crossmember. I spun mine by sticking a socket in the hole and applying some torque.

This is the passenger side engine mount. It's not much different than last time... I just modified the design slightly to eliminate the need for fixturing during assembly/welding.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:02 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I’m very relieved that everything is fitting together so well, because I have 10 sets of iAbed’s parts here and 20 sets of engine mount pieces!

I’m going to contact everyone who has expressed interest in the Base Kit to get email addresses so I can send PayPal invoices. If that doesn’t work for anyone, let me know and we’ll work out a different payment method.

Only 10 kits are available in this batch (and 2 of those are spoken for between Mike and myself). So, I’ll contact everyone in the order that they expressed interest. Anyone that said they want in on the Base Kit up until now will get one at the original price, (but just maybe not from this batch.). In other words, don’t worry... we will make more if we need to.

Last edited by vt951; 04-11-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Too late now but curious about the engine mount grabbing towards the "back" of the block rather than a more central/forward point for "balance"?
Old 12-03-2018, 10:55 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Too late now but curious about the engine mount grabbing towards the "back" of the block rather than a more central/forward point for "balance"?
The front half of the engine has the accessory bracket (and accessories hanging on it) as well as water pump. No room and no good holes to mount to. This bracket's strength is designed to exceed the loading I expect in race use. In other words, bouncing hard over curbs, max engine torque, or max engine braking, all with a safety factor on top. I ran FEA with multiple load cases and found it to be strong enough.

Here is a result with a 3G vertical bump case, for instance. Under full engine torque, the forces on this bracket are actually lower, because on the driver's side the engine torque is pulling the engine away from it's mount (so counter to gravitational force). Loads are higher on the passenger side bracket.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:15 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

One last teaser. Here is my "backup plan" bellhousing design. I think it might be plan A now, actually. It's lighter and will probably be less expensive than the Quick Time one. The only downside is it will not be SFI rated. But, it will be plenty strong...

Old 12-03-2018, 11:21 PM
JWebber
Racer

I’ve lived dangerous most of my life 😆 . SFI is nice but I can live without it myself . Got a guy coming to get my daily driver ( since I had people back out on other things ) so funds will be ready the end of the week for me . I still have the 944 and my tow pig to get around in .
Old 12-03-2018, 11:30 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
...it will be plenty strong...
As long as I can keep my legs if a clutch disk decides to break somehow, (which under normal driving circumstances shouldn't happen, right?) I'm fine with that!

Last edited by senior_squishy; 12-04-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:42 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

My concern wasn't about the mount bracket itself but rather the engine block, though maybe silly to question the stiffness of a monolithic chunk of cast steel...
With the torque tube and "rear mounts" the engine is cantilevered out in space, where originally there was a giant front (transverse) mount carrying the front of the weight.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread