Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:27 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
Yes please let us know his response. He has some really nice looking CNC machined parts and obviously good CAD design capability. I wonder if he would be interested in making the parts that Iroz isn't making anymore... If you get a response, maybe ask him if he'd be open to making any or all of these:

- Oil Adapter (to attach DS engine mount)
- 1.8T PS Pump Bracket
- Billet valve cover (would be cool to make it with PORSCHE on it, similar to the 944 cam housing)

+1 on the valve cover with PORSCHE on it 👌 I'd buy it.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:17 PM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the good news is that after inquiring with iAbed about making those parts they responded by informing me that they already make all of them (minus "PORSCHE" on the valve cover of course)
This is the email I received:

"We already make all those parts
Oil filter housing is 269
Valve cover is 440
Ps kit is 255"

An image of the oil adapter was sent within the email, however I am uncertain if it is the correct one as I have been unable to find any images of the Iroz version for attaching the engine mount. No other images were included.

This is the picture that was included within the email

iAbed Oil filter housing - $269
Old 10-15-2018, 06:24 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Well the oil adapter is definitely not the same part that Iroz was selling. Here's the Iroz one:

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the iABED version, but I doubt it will work with my engine mount brackets. I'll probably just have to reproduce the Iroz version. I also plan to incorporate an oil pressure relief valve into the adapter block, like the OE oil filter block has.

Here are some pics of my engine mount bracket bolted onto the Iroz adapter. These parts are just mocked up for test fit in the engine bay... they still need to be welded and powder coated.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:59 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I guess I shouldn't say the iABED one won't work... if you can get some dimensions and better pics of it from him, that would help me determine whether or not it could work. It might just require another adapter on his adapter (which isn't ideal, obviously). If you'd prefer, I can try to contact him directly; just let me know.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:00 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Funny, I was just about to post about Issam's adapter, my friend recently bought one. It incorporates the OE pressure relief valve.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:05 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Oh and Issam (iAbed) has also been working on an 07k swap into a 944.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:10 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Oh and Issam (iAbed) has also been working on an 07k swap into a 944.
Well I guess it would be good for me to get in touch with him. I wonder if he's going his own route completely, or planning to use my bellhousing, flywheel/clutch, intake manifold, oil pan, or engine mounts. I obviously don't know how far into the process he is, but I can tell you it was quite a challenge to get the engine (from valve cover to oil pan) to fit between the Porsche hood and cross member. I was fortunate to be able to use a portable CMM to get accurate CAD data on all of it, and still it was very tough to find the best position. If he's not worried about sticking through the hood, then things do get considerably easier...

Good to hear that he's incorporated the oil pressure relief valve into his adapter.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:41 AM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I guess it would be good for me to get in touch with him. I wonder if he's going his own route completely, or planning to use my bellhousing, flywheel/clutch, intake manifold, oil pan, or engine mounts. I obviously don't know how far into the process he is, but I can tell you it was quite a challenge to get the engine (from valve cover to oil pan) to fit between the Porsche hood and cross member. I was fortunate to be able to use a portable CMM to get accurate CAD data on all of it, and still it was very tough to find the best position. If he's not worried about sticking through the hood, then things do get considerably easier...

Good to hear that he's incorporated the oil pressure relief valve into his adapter.
I'd recommend you get in touch with him yourself, as there's no reason you should have to go through me to get the answers you're looking for. Especially since you're far more involved than I am, and am looking to do as much as you can. I'm attempting this swap on a student's budget, so as you can imagine I'm trying to avoid using a plethora of aftermarket parts.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:25 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by EastEnd944
I'd recommend you get in touch with him yourself, as there's no reason you should have to go through me to get the answers you're looking for. Especially since you're far more involved than I am, and am looking to do as much as you can. I'm attempting this swap on a student's budget, so as you can imagine I'm trying to avoid using a plethora of aftermarket parts.
+1 to being on a student budget; I hear you loud and clear. That's why we should really push for group discounts and get as many people on board as possible. Alan knows how much I've stressed affordability without compromising quality. I'm also interested though to see how far he has gotten with his swap.... Maybe we can convince him to post either on this thread or to make a sister thread that outlines a different approach if there is any.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:00 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

I messaged him with the info for the bellhousing group buy, sounds like he never contacted you about it.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:45 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
I messaged him with the info for the bellhousing group buy, sounds like he never contacted you about it.
No, unless I missed an email from him.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Issam Abed
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the iABED version, but I doubt it will work with my engine mount brackets.

Hi Everyone
From the looks of it you might have to modify the bracket to incorporate the upper right hole as my brackets uses the bottom as a counter bore.
That being said the alarming price is due to the oem check valve which is $79.16 from the dealer. Of course it you can source one yourself it would bring the part cost down.

loving the progress thus far!
Old 10-20-2018, 06:13 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Ok so I spoke with Issam. Great guy. He’s going to send me one of his oil adapters. I think I can make a few minor changes to my DS engine bracket design to work with it.

We are going to make arrangements to have his 07k parts available for purchase along with all of my parts in one central place, so it will be one-stop shopping. So this will be the oil adapter, PS pump kit, and billet valve cover, and potentially some additional engine related pieces that carry over from Audi applications that he specializes in.

Last edited by vt951; 10-20-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:30 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Here’s the PS engine mount bracket mocked up.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:11 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Here’s the PS engine mount bracket mocked up.

What kind of hardware should we plan on aquiring in adition to this bracket for the power steering? Is there a list somewhere I might have overlooked?

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread