Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:54 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951

i haven’t sent anything to Matech yet. I want to give Quick Time a little more time.
Sounds good. Let us know what happens!!
Old 09-16-2018, 01:57 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Quick update...

- Still waiting on Quick Time for pricing. :-(
- Started fabrication of my engine mounts.
- I've been working on the oil pan. It still might be possible to modify the OE pan. I've sent out a second pan to my machine shop to work on that.
- Also working on the intake manifold design. I'm hoping to be able to modify the IE 07K intake with a custom plenum, as shown below. Waiting on IE for dimensions... but I might just have to order one to get what I need. I have the good fortune to know an F1 engine designer through work, and he has offered to give me some guidance on the manifold design. So that's awesome...
- Intake plenum may be made from carbon fiber, fabricated aluminum, or casting. I think carbon fiber will actually be the most cost effective since the tooling is cheaper than casting, and it would be much less labor intensive to make than fabricated aluminum.

Last edited by vt951; 09-16-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:40 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

So, I’ve been thinking more about the different intake manifold options from a cost standpoint:

- It looks like a modified IE manifold with a custom carbon fiber plenum would likely end up in the neighborhood of $1500 (including $799 paid to IE). I guess tooling for this might only be around $500, so that part is nice.

- I think fabricated sheet metal manifolds would also end up around $1500. No tooling cost, but we would need to make some jigs (which should be pretty cheap).

- A cast aluminum manifold would probably require about $7-10k in tooling. But then the cost per part would be lower. I would guess that if I sold them for around $1000 each, I might recoup the tooling investment after about 20 manifolds.

Not sure which way to go... any opinions?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't offer much from an engineering standpoint, but as an owner, longevity would be my main concern. Would there be any longer term issues with carbon fiber degrading or yellowing from heat, fuel vapor, vibration or a combination thereof?

​​​​personally, I'd feel slightly better about something that could be relatively easily repaired or modified if needed in the future. Just my 2c of course.
​​​

So, I’ve been thinking more about the different intake manifold options from a cost standpoint:

- It looks like a modified IE manifold with a custom carbon fiber plenum would likely end up in the neighborhood of $1500 (including $799 paid to IE). I guess tooling for this might only be around $500, so that part is nice.

- I think fabricated sheet metal manifolds would also end up around $1500. No tooling cost, but we would need to make some jigs (which should be pretty cheap).

- A cast aluminum manifold would probably require about $7-10k in tooling. But then the cost per part would be lower. I would guess that if I sold them for around $1000 each, I might recoup the tooling investment after about 20 manifolds.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:40 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

does anybody make a cnc/laser/waterjet intake flange?
fab'd tube and sheetmetal would be definitely easier/cost effective. especially if you make a jig and have someone crank out a batch all at once rather than per-order.
hell, RL user Ak951 is a pretty bad-*** TIG welder in TX who works for a fair price and likes new projects.

CF is "bling" but what does it get you? a few lbs?

cast is best looking but needs a big market to justify the cost.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:40 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Good point about carbon potentially degrading due to heat and fluids.

So I'll keep the sheet metal fabricated option on the table. My brother in law is also an excellent fabricator and tig welder, so he could make them. They are just very time consuming to make this way, and therefore end up being pretty expensive.

I would prefer to do the cast aluminum option if the tooling is not outrageous... I'm working on a design that I can send out to get quoted. It may be too much, but I at least want to give it a shot.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:05 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I realize your still collecting the dimensions, but would 3D printing be an option? The tech has come a long way recently. From what I understand there are also printers available now capable of printing metal in stainless steel and aluminum.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:29 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Again, nothing constructive to add to this other than I am amazed at the work you're putting into this. Bravo.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:33 PM
JRP944
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
I realize your still collecting the dimensions, but would 3D printing be an option? The tech has come a long way recently. From what I understand there are also printers available now capable of printing metal in stainless steel and aluminum.
You could definitely have it 3D printed in aluminum by someone like Xometry or Proto Labs, but it's going to be pretty expensive due to the size. Some machining would still be required for the injector bungs, etc.

You could also look into investment casting, since you can cast aluminum parts without tooling using wax molds. We use Invest Cast Inc. at work for prototyping parts since they usually come in at a pretty reasonable price. Just like with metal 3D printing, there is still some finish machining required.

Justin
Old 09-19-2018, 07:28 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM951
Again, nothing constructive to add to this other than I am amazed at the work you're putting into this. Bravo.
Thanks man, appreciate that. I can't wait to get it all made and running in my car.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:32 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Yeah I might use the 3D printer at work to mock it up for a test fit. Last time I looked 3D printed metal was still really expensive, though. Also I'm not completely sure how the strength compares to cast aluminum. Would it blow up under high boost?

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Old 09-19-2018, 07:33 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRP944
You could definitely have it 3D printed in aluminum by someone like Xometry or Proto Labs, but it's going to be pretty expensive due to the size. Some machining would still be required for the injector bungs, etc.

You could also look into investment casting, since you can cast aluminum parts without tooling using wax molds. We use Invest Cast Inc. at work for prototyping parts since they usually come in at a pretty reasonable price. Just like with metal 3D printing, there is still some finish machining required.

Justin
Cool, I'll look into those places, thanks.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:06 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Love what you guys are doing here. Wish I'd pursued same path.

We had a few partial intake systems printed up for trial fitting. Made me think it could cost a $h!t ton le$$ by doing it that way rather than cnc'ing it.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:22 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

photos can be deceiving but...
there's maybe 1" between the "runner/plenum plate" and the TB inlet. plenum plate looks symmetrical.

run a bandsaw down the middle, flip the plenum around, weld back together?

Old 09-20-2018, 04:50 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Love what you guys are doing here. Wish I'd pursued same path.

We had a few partial intake systems printed up for trial fitting. Made me think it could cost a $h!t ton le$$ by doing it that way rather than cnc'ing it.
Wow, that's a beauty. You aussie's spare no expense.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread