Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tial Wastegate adapters

Old 09-28-2014, 12:55 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
I've seen some Tial 38's with threads, and yes you did the right thing to drill them out. That's what everyone has done on the past adapters when SFR and Pauer were making them.
Should/could the flanges be drilled instead?
Old 09-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Should/could the flanges be drilled instead?
The flanges on the wastegate need to be drilled. Not the adapter plates. All the mounting bolts thread into the adapter plates.

Roger
Old 09-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Default Success!

Got it all bolted in and went for a test drive. Runs great. Running in dual port mode makes the MBC much less sensitive than it was operating in single port mode. Dialed in about 13.5 psi for now. It definitely makes boost a little quicker. Naturally, I want to "test it" a bit more.

I will add, it was a bit tedious getting all the bolt holes to line up between the adapter plates and my exhaust flanges. I don't think this has anything to do with the adapters, but it does help to reinforce that every car is going to be a bit different. It sounds like some people were able to pretty easily bolt everything up. Not in my case. This may also have been affected by a cat delete modification that had been done to the car at some point in its life, which may have altered the geometry of the exhaust slightly.

It's good to be boosted again.

Roger
Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Originally Posted by Mach 5
The flanges on the wastegate need to be drilled. Not the adapter plates. All the mounting bolts thread into the adapter plates.

Roger
Should have clarified... drill the flanges to be metric. That way if I wanted to sell the tial later (which is more expensive than the flanges), it hasn't been altered. Glad to hear you have it working.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:14 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Should have clarified... drill the flanges to be metric. That way if I wanted to sell the tial later (which is more expensive than the flanges), it hasn't been altered. Glad to hear you have it working.
Not sure why the designed decided to do SAE on the adapter plates. I made mine metric and the same size as the Tial. Even still, I drilled mine out. Might be able to get it to seal well enough with both the WG and plates still threaded, but maybe not.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Not sure why the designed decided to do SAE on the adapter plates. I made mine metric and the same size as the Tial. Even still, I drilled mine out. Might be able to get it to seal well enough with both the WG and plates still threaded, but maybe not.
Yes, I don't think you could get it to seal right if both the wastegate flanges and the adapter plates were threaded. You really need the bolts to pass through the flanges on the wastegate and thread into the adapter plates, pulling the wastegate against the adapter plates.

I do want to reiterate that these adapter plates worked great. It was really the threads on the wastegate flanges that caught me off guard, not having seen this discussed before. All is well now.

Roger
Old 09-30-2014, 03:19 PM
bumflick
Racer

Fejjj, stupid questions.

I bought a set of these from you a while back and am just getting around to the install. Great quality by the way - very straight and true. Ans so shiny!

I ran out to home depot and picked up a few 5/16 bolts and was all set to assemble but got a bit confused by the gaskets - does it matter which way they are oriented? It seems that one side has a bit of a convex shape in the ring around the opening, and I was unsure if the raised side should be facing the Tial or the plate.

Also, any recommendations for the assembly? Is Loctite a good idea?
Old 09-30-2014, 05:02 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bumflick
Fejjj, stupid questions.

I bought a set of these from you a while back and am just getting around to the install. Great quality by the way - very straight and true. Ans so shiny!

I ran out to home depot and picked up a few 5/16 bolts and was all set to assemble but got a bit confused by the gaskets - does it matter which way they are oriented? It seems that one side has a bit of a convex shape in the ring around the opening, and I was unsure if the raised side should be facing the Tial or the plate.

Hi,

I don't think it matters which way the gaskets go but I could be wrong as my mechanic installed it for me when he installed the 3" exhaust.

I used safety wire but I think most people just tighten them and then check them after 5-700 miles.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:20 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello Fejjj,

Any more sets avail ?
Old 11-03-2014, 11:38 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Originally Posted by bumflick
Fejjj, stupid questions.

This is a good question - the stainless gaskets have a raised ring. Should the ring face the tial or the adapter plate (or does it make no difference)?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:14 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

I have a few sets left if anyone is looking for these.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:46 PM
huskeric
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by fejjj
I have a few sets left if anyone is looking for these.
Will these work with the Tial 46? If so, i'll take a set.

rick
Old 01-29-2015, 02:20 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by huskeric
Will these work with the Tial 46? If so, i'll take a set.

rick
No, Tial flange needs to be tig'ed on and OEM cut off.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:27 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pole position
No, Tial flange needs to be tig'ed on and OEM cut off.
Who wants these for their Tial 38 upgrade?
Old 04-15-2015, 10:48 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Anyone need these for their Tial 38 install?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tial Wastegate adapters