Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Explain it like I'm 5: Fabspeed exhaust question and winter project.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Explain it like I'm 5: Fabspeed exhaust question and winter project.

OK guys, it's Christmas time so I'm about to buy myself a bunch of presents and I'll have the time off to put them on. I'd really like for this to go as smoothly as possible to maximize my time with family and friends since I'm about to come home from my current trip to Russia.

I have an '86 951, thus I should have the 3-bolt flange. As Joe from Fabspeed said in this thread I shouldn't need to cut anything to fit on the new exhaust.

I've never opened up the exhaust on this car and I'm wondering, very specifically, how the wastegate tie-in fits up to the main exhaust system. What I picture in my head is the pipe from the wastegate is straight and there is some sort of "ferrel" like gasket around it and when the flanges are tightened it works just like a ferrel to squish into the exhaust and seal up THAT pipe. The other side is obviously flanged.

Anyone have some pictures or some straight-foward explanation they'd like to chuck out there? I'm buying this thing this week and I'd like to go ahead and get it before I talk myself out of it.

For an FYI: I'm planning on also getting the following

M-tune (Josh, you won't be getting my DME for a little while)
LR dual port wastegate w/ manual boost controler.
LR pod+ Boost gauge and wideband (AEM 304100)

Which should also will be done in parallel with the Venturi delete, and some other odds and ends. Plenty of pictures will be taken, curse words may be spoken, but before and after's of the exhaust (or anything else someone wants ) will be taken. I'll try to finish up a tutorial I've been working on for the LR fuel rail too.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the low miles you might be OK but I seemed to be cursed when it comes to DP studs. I break one every time.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Originally Posted by Dougs951
With the low miles you might be OK but I seemed to be cursed when it comes to DP studs. I break one every time.
The turbo was "replaced" by the PO an the downpipe is actually pretty clean from what I could tell the last time I was under there. I have a lot of PB blaster too... and patience, since I now have a spare vehicle.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:32 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Are you doing cat back or are you replacing the cat with a test pipe? The tie in should be a slip fit from down stream of the waste gate. The Fabspeed system uses 2 flanges, one free floating the other is not which is part of the tail pipe system. The free floating one goes on the waste gate pipe and is used mash the gasket. The system is not tied in directly to allow for movement of the system.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:50 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure to update to the 87-up flange for the wastegate tie in. Trust me it will be less likely to leak.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Originally Posted by rlm328
Are you doing cat back or are you replacing the cat with a test pipe? The tie in should be a slip fit from down stream of the waste gate. The Fabspeed system uses 2 flanges, one free floating the other is not which is part of the tail pipe system. The free floating one goes on the waste gate pipe and is used mash the gasket. The system is not tied in directly to allow for movement of the system.
I'm buying from the turbo-back but the downpipe from the turbo will be swapped out at a later time since I will have to pull the turbo (or so I've heard). I will attempt to do it while its in the car at least. Worth a shot.

Also, thank you, you've answered my question. Ordering tomorrow.

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Make sure to update to the 87-up flange for the wastegate tie in. Trust me it will be less likely to leak.
That's on the agenda. Thanks though, I didn't specifically say what all from fabspeed I would be buying.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:16 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangonesailor
I have a lot of PB blaster too... and patience, since I now have a spare vehicle.
Yes - PB blaster. And an impact gun. I have better luck removing rusty nuts with an impact than I do standard hand wrenches. With regular wrenches I seem to wind up just breaking studs.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:28 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I would have Fabspeed provide the flange that mates with the one that is on their exhaust system. That way no confusion. If they have gasket I would have them supply that also. May cost a bit more but you are assured that it all matches up.

Have fun putting the new system on. Be sure to kiss the skin on your knuckles good bye.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

You should be able to reach the DP bolts with a strong assortment of extentions.

Ramius665 and I put a test pipe on his 951 in 20 minutes!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

The integration of reddit and Rennlist, ELI5. At last.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Originally Posted by doabarrelroll
The integration of reddit and Rennlist, ELI5. At last.
I completely forgot the acronym, but still didn't want to use it since I'm sure too many people here have never heard of it.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The infamous Haynes manuals have the best ELI5 ever printed in a 'shop manual'. On every job that might be the least bit difficult the Hayes manual used to say something like "this is a very technical procedure - please take your car to the dealer". I can't quote it exactly because my Haynes manual was used to soak up oil spills long ago!

I like the idea of a new acronym - ELI75. enough said.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

BTW - your description of the wastegate tie into the main exhaust is pretty accurate. I can guarantee that the 'ferrule' type seal will have to be replaced. They almost all fall apart when the pipe is removed.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris White
The infamous Haynes manuals have the best ELI5 ever printed in a 'shop manual'. On every job that might be the least bit difficult the Hayes manual used to say something like "this is a very technical procedure - please take your car to the dealer". I can't quote it exactly because my Haynes manual was used to soak up oil spills long ago!

I like the idea of a new acronym - ELI75. enough said.
When I had my LTD and went to drop the transmission the procedure to do so in the Haynes was pretty accurate, but as you said it noted "Disassembly should be done by the dealer." My Chilton's gave me a decent tear-down explanation so I was able to use it for the pump seal.

Also, the ferrule theory was a guesstimation. I'll order a new seal too.

Now, an afterthought: Has anyone asked FABSPEED if they'd pre-install an o2 bung? Hopefully they'll do that to give me some more free time.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Im sure they would. Give em a call.

Quick Reply: Explain it like I'm 5: Fabspeed exhaust question and winter project.