Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Clutch Master Firewall Reinforcement (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/790190-clutch-master-firewall-reinforcement.html)

vt951 12-10-2013 10:04 AM

Clutch Master Firewall Reinforcement **INSTALLED PICS PAGE 3**

3 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd post this up in case any of you high HP 951 guys with heavy clutches need one. I designed this for my v8 swap as a preventative measure (don't have any cracks yet, but I've heard it's just a matter of time).

If you haven't heard of the firewall cracking problem, here's my understanding... some cars (mostly ones with heavier clutches fitted) have developed cracks in the firewall around the clutch master cylinder due to the extra force exerted. I've seen a whole lot of crazy looking solutions to this that look only marginally effective. I wanted something cleaner looking and more of a bolt-on than weld-in.

Anyone who's interested in trying one, let me know. I am waiting on the fabricator's quotes right now. Figured I'd start with just a couple first to test fit them in a couple cars I'm working on. They will be laser cut from 13 gauge steel, press broken, welded seams, and then powder coated. I'm guessing they will cost about $150 each in quantity? **UPDATE** Price is $99 + shipping **

The basic idea is that it goes between the firewall and the MC, and the other end wedges up against the very sturdy strut tower. Optionally, a couple holes could be drilled to bolt it to the strut tower or through the wheel well. **UPDATE: After test fitting the prototypes, I do not believe that any drilling into the strut tower or wheel well will be necessary. The bracket feels very secure in its position against the strut tower. I plan to install it with just a layer of silicone between the bracket and the strut tower to prevent any marring of the surface from vibration during driving.**

Techno Duck 12-10-2013 10:11 AM

Alan, count me in for one. Firewall reinforcement is on my list of things to do.

Which clutch are you running on your LS swap? I have the Spec Stage 2, hope its not too heavy!

vt951 12-10-2013 10:21 AM

Cool, thanks! Will keep you posted.

Same here, Spec stage 2. It's a lot heavier than the stock 951 clutch, but I still think it's the best choice. Make sure you're using a bigger MC (like a Tilton 7/8") or it may not release completely.

V2Rocket 12-10-2013 10:22 AM

could you make the full firewall reinforcement plate?

Techno Duck 12-10-2013 10:27 AM

A Honda Civic clutch is heavier than the stock 951 clutch! :)

Im using Wilwood part # 260-6088 which is .7" bore with a 1.4" stroke. We figured the smaller bore should make the pedal feel lighter. My friend and i bench tested it with my clutch on his LS3 and it seemed to have plenty of travel to release the clutch fully. Did not get a chance to test it before i left, still had to get the NPT to AN fitting for the quick disconnect hose.

vt951 12-10-2013 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944 (Post 10966460)

I could, but I am not convinced that it does much good. I know a lot of people use them (including me until recently). They are already made by others and sold by various v8 guys. Probably a good idea if you're running manual brakes, but with hydroboost, the brake MC shouldn't really be seeing any more force than the stock vacuum assisted brakes.

I think the firewall cracking problem has more to do with the heavier clutches and fast clutch actuation that we all do during races and DE's. And I think a bracket like this one does a better job at supporting the clutch MC than a flat plate on the firewall.

You gonna buy those headlight brackets I sent you? ;)

theedge 12-10-2013 10:39 AM

I will probably be in for one too. How does it mount to the strut tower? You said wedge but is that sufficient strength and "grip" wise?

Only suggestion is that (and it might already have one, cant tell from the angle of the shot) it needs at least one drain hole or itll be a bucket for brake fluid.

theedge 12-10-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944 (Post 10966460)

Theres several of those available but the issue with them from my reading is they dont seem to keep the clutch master at the same angle as stock, so it wears out faster. I could be completely wrong but thats what I have read.

I was going to look at making a reinforcement plate that goes on the inside of the firewall somehow since my dash is currently out and ill likely take some of the wiring out and the steering column out for other work.

V2Rocket 12-10-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 10966498)
You gonna buy those headlight brackets I sent you? ;)

holy cow, i had completely forgotten about those. i will have to look for them and send them back

Lemming 12-10-2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by theedge (Post 10966507)
Theres several of those available but the issue with them from my reading is they dont seem to keep the clutch master at the same angle as stock, so it wears out faster. I could be completely wrong but thats what I have read.

You are correct, I killed two master cylinders very quickly, finally got the angle right on the 3rd and no problems since.

reno808 12-10-2013 11:18 AM

Would this if you have a LS swap?

vt951 12-10-2013 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by theedge (Post 10966503)
I will probably be in for one too. How does it mount to the strut tower? You said wedge but is that sufficient strength and "grip" wise?

Only suggestion is that (and it might already have one, cant tell from the angle of the shot) it needs at least one drain hole or itll be a bucket for brake fluid.

I'm going to test fit it without any fastening to the strut tower. There are a few options there... one is to coat the surface that pushes against the strut tower with something that has some grip to it, like a rubber bed liner coating. Another option, which I think will definitely work but requires more work, is to drill a couple holes through the bracket and into either the strut tower or the fender well, and through bolt it.

As for catching brake/clutch fluid, there is a drain hole in the design. Good catch, though.

vt951 12-10-2013 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by theedge (Post 10966507)

I was going to look at making a reinforcement plate that goes on the inside of the firewall somehow since my dash is currently out and ill likely take some of the wiring out and the steering column out for other work.

Yes, forgot to mention that about the angle. My bracket retains the stock MC angle for this reason exactly.

When I used one of those big flat firewall reinforcement plates, the clutch pedal effort was not consistent, like it was binding or something. I figured it was probably due to the angle, but won't know for sure until I install this new one that keeps the proper angle.

vt951 12-10-2013 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by reno808 (Post 10966600)
Would this if you have a LS swap?

Hey Reno... not sure if this is what you're asking, but yes this bracket works with an LS swap just as well as 4 cyl 944/951. It really depends on what MC you're using though. I know it fits with a Tilton 75 series (which I use) and the stock 944/951 MC. Not sure about Wilwood, etc. If someone can send me a part number for a typical Wilwood MC that LS swap guys use, I'll look into that.

Lemming 12-10-2013 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 10966661)
If someone can send me a part number for a typical Wilwood MC that LS swap guys use, I'll look into that.

This is what I'm running for my clutch master.

http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinde...emno=260-10373

reno808 12-11-2013 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 10966661)
Hey Reno... not sure if this is what you're asking, but yes this bracket works with an LS swap just as well as 4 cyl 944/951. It really depends on what MC you're using though. I know it fits with a Tilton 75 series (which I use) and the stock 944/951 MC. Not sure about Wilwood, etc. If someone can send me a part number for a typical Wilwood MC that LS swap guys use, I'll look into that.

Perfecto

PorscheDoc 12-11-2013 02:57 PM

Hey Alan,

Sounds like a nice idea. I am braced to the fender using an L bracket, but doubling up might not be such a bad idea. I'm in for one. I might forget about the post, so please PM me when they are ready!

vt951 12-12-2013 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc (Post 10969875)
Hey Alan,

Sounds like a nice idea. I am braced to the fender using an L bracket, but doubling up might not be such a bad idea. I'm in for one. I might forget about the post, so please PM me when they are ready!

Doc, sounds good. I'll keep you posted.

dmcampbell 12-14-2013 09:18 AM

Alan: Did you get the unit pricing? I have an interest. Thanks, Mike

arthropraxis 12-14-2013 10:19 AM

Good idea. A threaded adjuster bar between the strut tower and firewall would account for differences between chassis from prior wrecks or differences in cars. IIRC, Koklen made one that attached to the strut mounting bolts on top of the strut tower.

vt951 12-14-2013 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by dmcampbell (Post 10977067)
Alan: Did you get the unit pricing? I have an interest. Thanks, Mike

They will be in the neighborhood of $100 each; more or less depending on the qty I order. So far it looks like only about 3 or 4 interested? I guess I probably need to market them more to the v8 guys.

theedge 12-14-2013 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 10978317)
They will be in the neighborhood of $100 each; more or less depending on the qty I order. So far it looks like only about 3 or 4 interested? I guess I probably need to market them more to the v8 guys.

I said maybe before, put me down for one for certain.

Market them to anyone with a heavy clutch, like a KEP Stage 2.

Paul Waterloo 12-14-2013 08:08 PM

I would most likely be interested in one for my 968....I would think it would fit.....

DirkSx1 12-17-2013 06:01 AM

Add me to the list as well.

vt951 12-17-2013 10:56 PM

Now we're talking! Thanks for all the interest! I'm still waiting on the prototypes to be made. Hopefully will have them soon and then will post pics.

vt951 12-17-2013 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo (Post 10978389)
I would most likely be interested in one for my 968....I would think it would fit.....

I think so. If you don't mind being the guinea pig... Try it out and if it doesn't fit you can return for a full refund.

Rich Sandor 12-18-2013 01:40 AM

Brilliant Idea!

I had a stiff clutch on my 968, and it was causing the firewall to flex, until is started to CRACK! The flexing was making it harder and harder to change gears, and eventually the crack created an opening from the engine bay right to my left foot!!

I had to take everything out and weld a triangle in and fill the crack.. what a HUGE pain in the posterior!!

I HIGHLY recommend a bracket like this to anyone with a stiffer than OEM clutch!

David Floyd 12-18-2013 12:43 PM

Add me to the list

Paul Waterloo 12-18-2013 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 10985781)
I think so. If you don't mind being the guinea pig... Try it out and if it doesn't fit you can return for a full refund.

Sounds like a plan....

SamGrant951 12-18-2013 03:12 PM

Id like one.

vt951 12-18-2013 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by SamGrant951 (Post 10987178)
Id like one.

You got it Sammy. Make it rain trick...

vt951 12-18-2013 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 10986055)
Brilliant Idea!

I had a stiff clutch on my 968, and it was causing the firewall to flex, until is started to CRACK! The flexing was making it harder and harder to change gears, and eventually the crack created an opening from the engine bay right to my left foot!!

I had to take everything out and weld a triangle in and fill the crack.. what a HUGE pain in the posterior!!

I HIGHLY recommend a bracket like this to anyone with a stiffer than OEM clutch!

Thanks Rich. I'll paypal you shortly. :-)

alxdgr8 12-19-2013 03:16 AM

I'd be interested

marcoturbo 12-19-2013 03:44 AM

Me too !

Carlsbergas 12-19-2013 07:36 AM

Any easy way to find out if its cracked?

Thom 12-19-2013 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Carlsbergas (Post 10988827)
Any easy way to find out if its cracked?

Ask a friend to push the pedal while you look at the firewall around the master cylinder...

Carlsbergas 12-19-2013 07:52 AM

Ok. Thanks!

nozrider 12-20-2013 02:17 AM

I'll take one when they are ready!

dmcampbell 12-21-2013 05:00 PM

Me too. Thanks, Mike

sm 12-30-2013 10:13 AM

Nice product. Couple of questions:

- will the brace scratch up the shock tower? Can you make a provision so the brace mounts to the 4 bolts on top of the shock tower, thus preventing the brace from rubbing directly against the shock tower?

- will adjustment to the clutch pedal linkage be necessary once the brace is installed? I'm assuming the clutch master is removed, the brace installed, and then the clutch master reinstalled?

Thanks

vt951 12-31-2013 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by sm (Post 11011762)
Nice product. Couple of questions:

- will the brace scratch up the shock tower? Can you make a provision so the brace mounts to the 4 bolts on top of the shock tower, thus preventing the brace from rubbing directly against the shock tower?

I am still waiting on the prototype brackets to be completed, so I can't really answer whether it will scratch the shock tower. My plan is to put a protective coating in between the bracket and the shock tower to prevent that, but I need to do a little experimentation with different coatings and how they may or may not affect fitment on various cars, once I get the prototypes.

Bolting to the top of the shock tower was my original concept. The problem is you end up needing a much more complicated assembly of brackets to do that, and in the end I don't think it's as effective structurally because you need so many bends in the metal. It has been done (if you search here and 944 v8 swap forums you will find lots of different versions of this concept), but I just prefer the simple approach.

Originally Posted by sm (Post 11011762)
- will adjustment to the clutch pedal linkage be necessary once the brace is installed? I'm assuming the clutch master is removed, the brace installed, and then the clutch master reinstalled?

Thanks

I don't really think linkage adjustment will be necessary. You are correct that my bracket installs behind the MC, but it is only 0.090" thick. I don't think that takes the clutch pedal linkage out of it's range of travel, but it will put the pedal a bit further from you. I doubt it will be a very noticeable difference, but maybe I'm ham-footed. :-)

Also, as for MC removal, I am hoping that the MC will be able to remain connected to the pedal linkage and hydraulic lines during installation. Hopefully, just remove the 2 nuts, push the clutch pedal in to force the MC out from the firewall, and slide my bracket in behind in, then put the MC back. Won't know for sure until I get the prototypes, but that's the plan.

Thanks for you questions and interest.

vt951 01-21-2014 02:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OK, finally got the prototype brackets made and test fit on a couple cars. Fitment is excellent. I made a couple of minor tweaks to the design to make installation easier. On cars with the vacuum brake booster, it will need to be removed or at least pulled out of the firewall and slid over about an inch in order to install this bracket. V8 cars don't have the vacuum booster, so it should be very easy to install for them.

Here are some pics of the prototypes. Note that the production units will be professionally welded and powder coated, so they will look at bit nicer. The first 2 pics show a bracket installed with the OE 944 clutch master. The vacuum booster is not shown for clarity, but I did test fit it. The last few pics show the same bracket (before welded or painted) with a Tilton 7/8" clutch master installed.

PM me if you would like one... price is $99 + shipping, in hopes that most everyone who expressed interest will follow through with an order (I need to order a batch of 20 to get the cost down enough to make this worth my while).

Thanks!

Dougs951S 01-21-2014 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A part a good friend of mine made off a pattern provided by another lister. It had to be slightly modified from the original design. Also a warning to everyone running very stiff Pressure plates, make sure when you install a firewall flex plate that you verify the angle of the clevis rod doesnt change too drastically do the the added thickness, the change in the angle of the applied forced can easily snap the clevis rod. Some modification to the rod may be required to return its angle against the master cylinder piston closer to stock.

Attachment 1362983

vt951 01-21-2014 04:07 PM

Hey Doug,

Yeah, I had something like that plate in my v8 swap car for a couple years. It throws off the angle of the master cylinder relative to the pedal linkage. That's exactly why I designed the bracket shown above... see previous posts discussing the pros and cons of firewall plates in detail.

Originally Posted by Dougs951S (Post 11069381)
A part a good friend of mine made off a pattern provided by another lister. It had to be slightly modified from the original design. Also a warning to everyone running very stiff Pressure plates, make sure when you install a firewall flex plate that you verify the angle of the clevis rod doesnt change too drastically do the the added thickness, the change in the angle of the applied forced can easily snap the clevis rod. Some modification to the rod may be required to return its angle against the master cylinder piston closer to stock.

https://i.imgur.com/m01G2SV.jpg

theedge 01-22-2014 02:38 AM

Just a thought, would it not be better to mount it behind the cylinder?

Firewall | Clutch Master | Brace | Nut

If my memory serves, there is a gasket between the clutch master and the firewall and it looks like with the bracket between the firewall and the clutch master there is a gap now?

vt951 01-22-2014 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by theedge (Post 11070906)
Just a thought, would it not be better to mount it behind the cylinder?

Firewall | Clutch Master | Brace | Nut

If my memory serves, there is a gasket between the clutch master and the firewall and it looks like with the bracket between the firewall and the clutch master there is a gap now?

Maybe possible, but it wouldn't be usable for various types of cylinders (at least not the way I'm picturing your idea).

princetonprep17 02-08-2014 01:29 PM

Did you ever confirm if this would work for a 968?

vt951 02-09-2014 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by princetonprep17 (Post 11116629)
Did you ever confirm if this would work for a 968?

I have not confirmed that. Isn't the 968 firewall and strut tower Sheetmetal identical to 944?

monteolsen1 02-20-2014 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 11118718)
I have not confirmed that. Isn't the 968 firewall and strut tower Sheetmetal identical to 944?

Any news on availability? I have a serious flex in my firewall and would be very interested in trying this. Thanks.

monteolsen1 02-20-2014 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Techno Duck (Post 10966431)
Alan, count me in for one. Firewall reinforcement is on my list of things to do. Which clutch are you running on your LS swap? I have the Spec Stage 2, hope its not too heavy!

Me, too.

vt951 02-20-2014 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by monteolsen1 (Post 11149491)
Any news on availability? I have a serious flex in my firewall and would be very interested in trying this. Thanks.

I am taking orders now. I received the first batch of 10 brackets, but unfortunately they were made incorrectly (wrong design revision). So, I'm waiting for the fabricator to re-make them. Should be about a week until I get them, then need to get them powder coated.

8 of the 10 are already spoken for, so if you want one of the first batch, pm me and I'll send you my paypal info.

Thanks,
Alan

Paul Waterloo 03-09-2014 11:10 AM

Alan-

When do you expect that they will be ready?

Thanks!

Paul

dmcampbell 03-09-2014 11:28 AM

I still would like one. Mike

Chris White 03-10-2014 08:44 AM

I'll take one if you have any left. Looks like a nice design and its worth a try!

vt951 03-10-2014 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo (Post 11197816)
Alan-

When do you expect that they will be ready?

Thanks!

Paul

Paul,

I've sent a couple updates via email, but I think yours may have bounced back. I think I have an "audipages" email address for you, and that isn't working with my yahoo email for some reason. Anyway, the update is that the first batch was made incorrectly, I received a new batch that was made right, and now they are being powder coated. Should have been done by now, I know. The next batch I do will be pre-made before I collect any payments! You guys have all been extremely patient, and I really appreciate that.

vt951 03-10-2014 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by dmcampbell (Post 11197851)
I still would like one. Mike

Originally Posted by Chris White (Post 11200150)
I'll take one if you have any left. Looks like a nice design and its worth a try!

I have two left in the first batch. They should be done with powder coating any day now. I'll keep you posted, but you guys are first in line when they are done. Don't want to take any more payments ahead of time on these, since they have taken so long to put together the first batch.

vt951 03-11-2014 10:09 AM

Powdercoated!

1 Attachment(s)
Finally... will be boxing them up tonight and shipping out tomorrow! Thanks again everyone for your patience.

vt951 03-13-2014 10:23 AM

All 10 of the first batch have been shipped out. If you need any installation help, please don't hesitate to email or pm me. Since these brackets are designed to work in a variety of applications (V8, Turbo, and NA cars, as well as various clutch master cylinders) I have not been able to put together detailed instructions yet.

Paul Waterloo 03-15-2014 08:10 PM

I received mine today....thanks Alan! I'm going to do a timing belt service in April, I will consider installing it then....need to inspect my existing condition first. Need to look at what needs to be done....plus I need to do a close inspection of the brakes and change the fluid for a track day in May so the timing will most likely be perfect.

David Floyd 03-15-2014 08:39 PM

Received today...nice piece
Thanks

Dare 03-16-2014 12:40 PM

Hey Alan, if/when you do a second run, please put me on the list for one.

blitz951 03-17-2014 02:52 PM

Add ,me to the list too.

vt951 03-17-2014 05:14 PM

dmcampbell, Dare, and blitz951... thanks for your interest. I'd like to see how things go with the first batch installs and feedback. I don't foresee any problems, but you just don't know with a new design until it's out in the field...

With that said, can you guys all wait a little while? I'm thinking maybe a couple months.

blitz951 03-17-2014 11:46 PM

No problem just let me know when your ready.
Thanks

Dare 03-18-2014 12:26 AM

No worries. Sounds like a good idea.

toyhole 04-28-2014 10:40 PM

Clutch master cylinder reinforcement plate

hi. How do I order one of these clutch reinforcements from you?
Thanks,
Bill

vt951 04-29-2014 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by toyhole (Post 11328533)
hi. How do I order one of these clutch reinforcements from you?
Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

I was hoping to get some feedback from the first run after people had time to install them. No feedback yet... I did, however, get a chance to install one myself on a 951 with a vacuum brake booster on it. It fit really well on that car. The only downside is that it is impossible to install with the brake booster in place. So, it will add a good bit of time to the install on cars that still have vacuum brake booster.

On v8 cars (which typically go to hydroboost or manual / dual master cylinder setups) there is a lot more room to install the bracket, so it is fairly painless. On my car with an LS1 and BMW hydroboost, for instance, it literally can be installed in 10 minutes.

All that being said, if you and at least a few others are still interested in having me make another batch, I am willing to go ahead. Can't wait for feedback forever! I'll put out messages to those who expressed interest, and then get them made. Once they're made and ready to ship, I'll contact you for payment. My guess is it will take a few weeks to get them made and ready to ship. It will be $105 shipped, and I accept paypal if that works for you. Let me know if you still want one.

Thanks,
Alan

vt951 05-31-2014 03:08 PM

Finally have 4 people interested in these brackets, so I'm going to get a batch of 10 made now!

PM me if you're interested and I'll put you down for one. I'll wait on taking payments until they are ready to ship. It will probably be a few weeks due to the lead times for laser cutting, welding, and powder coating.

Baptizo 05-31-2014 03:51 PM

I'm thinking of doing a LSx swap in my '86 but have tons more of research to do first (it's been a couple of years since I've had any interest in my 951 and it has sat for two years in the garage). I'd like to get one of these, regardless, since I'm upgrading my clutch.

PM inbound.

URG8RB8 05-31-2014 09:10 PM

I am interested in one too. Thanks!

Cyril 06-01-2014 06:21 PM

Nice design!
Do you plan to make one in aluminum?
I'll take one anyway.
Thanks!

Cyril 06-01-2014 07:22 PM

Alan, you can add another one for Alain here in Montreal.
I will take car of the payment and shipping for both of us.
I will use a US address.
Thanks

vt951 06-02-2014 04:05 PM

Wow, nice... Lot's of interest all of the sudden. I put in the order for the laser cutter for a batch of 10. Looks like all 10 are spoken for, but let me know if you would like to be put on the standby list in case some drop out (or I can make another batch, of course).

Dare
blitz951
toyhole
admiralkhole
Baptizo
shane rizzo
URG8RB8
Cyril (x2)
whiggins

Standby:
ModdedEverything951S

vt951 06-02-2014 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cyril (Post 11409484)
Nice design!
Do you plan to make one in aluminum?
I'll take one anyway.
Thanks!

Wasn't planning on aluminum, but I'm open to the idea if there is a real benefit. Curious; what is your reasoning? Weight, corrosion resistance, ...?

vt951 06-03-2014 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 11411636)
Wow, nice... Lot's of interest all of the sudden. I put in the order for the laser cutter for a batch of 10. Looks like 9 of them may already be spoken for:

Dare
blitz951
toyhole
admiralkhole
Baptizo
shane rizzo
URG8RB8
Cyril (x2)

Adding whiggins to the list makes 10.

Darwantae951 06-03-2014 05:48 PM

I'd like to pick one up.

Cyril 06-03-2014 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 11411644)
Wasn't planning on aluminum, but I'm open to the idea if there is a real benefit. Curious; what is your reasoning? Weight, corrosion resistance, ...?

Weight!

vt951 06-07-2014 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S (Post 11414778)
I'd like to pick one up.

Cool, I put you on the list. Assuming at least 1 person drops out (likely), you should get one.

vt951 06-24-2014 02:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Guys, I received the batch of 10 brackets this morning from the fabricator. Next is powder coating. Should be ready to ship them early next week. I'll send PM's to the first 10 who already expressed interest to collect payment, and as folks drop out of line I'll contact everyone else in order.

Thanks,
Alan

Baptizo 06-24-2014 03:07 PM

Payment sent, thanks!!!

Cyril 06-24-2014 04:37 PM

Money sent, as agreed, for 2 brackets.
Thanks!

admiralkhole 06-24-2014 04:44 PM

Paypal sent! Thanks, I appreciate it.

blitz951 06-25-2014 02:45 AM

Money sent.

jannes 07-05-2014 11:21 AM

Any chance you could post measurements or even designs for this?

I think I'd prefer having the plate on the outside of the clutch housing instead of in between. I've made a (simpler) bracket before that does that and that worked fine.

Thanks

vt951 07-06-2014 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by jannes (Post 11487488)
Any chance you could post measurements or even designs for this?

I think I'd prefer having the plate on the outside of the clutch housing instead of in between. I've made a (simpler) bracket before that does that and that worked fine.

Thanks

Jannes, yes I can share some dimensions with you. Let me know what you need. If you have access to 3D CAD program, I could send a model that you can get dimensions from. I'm not going to send out my bracket design (too much time invested in getting it right), but I'll send the plane of the MC mount, locations of mounting studs, and plane of the strut tower face. Anything else, just let me know.

admiralkhole 07-06-2014 12:06 PM

Any ideas when these will be sent out? Thanks!

URG8RB8 07-06-2014 03:22 PM

Mine shipped all ready!

Cyril 07-06-2014 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by URG8RB8 (Post 11489585)
Mine shipped all ready!

Me too! :-)
Thx Alan!

dmcampbell 07-06-2014 03:43 PM

I'll take one. Thanks, Mike

URG8RB8 07-06-2014 03:53 PM

Yes, thanks Alan!

admiralkhole 07-06-2014 05:30 PM

Well hopefully mine is in the mail too =)

jannes 07-07-2014 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 11489118)
Jannes, yes I can share some dimensions with you. Let me know what you need. If you have access to 3D CAD program, I could send a model that you can get dimensions from. I'm not going to send out my bracket design (too much time invested in getting it right), but I'll send the plane of the MC mount, locations of mounting studs, and plane of the strut tower face. Anything else, just let me know.

It would be awesome if you could send me a CAD / 3D file. I'll try to PM you my email address.

I have one 931 project car with a torn firewall, but we still need to take it apart to have a good look. Only then could we hope to make measurements ourselves. Do you know if your bracket also fits 924 / 931 ? It really looks like the best solutions I've seen so far.

My 968 daily driver does not seem to have this problem, but I would like something preventative. In that car I don't feel like taking everything (intake, brakebooster etc.) off though. So a simplet bracket that goes over the cilinder instead of in between would be preferable.

Thanks

admiralkhole 07-07-2014 02:56 PM

Just arrived! Thank you sir!

Edit: Just installed, great fit and finish. Very happy! Maybe I won't rip my clutch master off the firewall this time ;)

vt951 07-07-2014 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by admiralkhole (Post 11491751)
Just arrived! Thank you sir!

Edit: Just installed, great fit and finish. Very happy! Maybe I won't rip my clutch master off the firewall this time ;)

Awesome, glad you like it.

vt951 07-07-2014 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by jannes (Post 11490896)
It would be awesome if you could send me a CAD / 3D file. I'll try to PM you my email address.

I have one 931 project car with a torn firewall, but we still need to take it apart to have a good look. Only then could we hope to make measurements ourselves. Do you know if your bracket also fits 924 / 931 ? It really looks like the best solutions I've seen so far.

My 968 daily driver does not seem to have this problem, but I would like something preventative. In that car I don't feel like taking everything (intake, brakebooster etc.) off though. So a simplet bracket that goes over the cilinder instead of in between would be preferable.

Thanks

Got your email, and I'll work up a CAD model to send you.

jannes 07-08-2014 07:15 AM

Thank you Alan! I was able to convert the file and open it. Very cool!

I was mostly looking for the distance from the firewall to the suspension tower and the angles involved. Are those still intact in the image you sent even though you left the middle parts out?

vt951 07-08-2014 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by jannes (Post 11493534)
Thank you Alan! I was able to convert the file and open it. Very cool!

I was mostly looking for the distance from the firewall to the suspension tower and the angles involved. Are those still intact in the image you sent even though you left the middle parts out?

Yes, those distances and angles are exactly what my bracket uses. So if you make your bracket fit those surfaces "line to line" it should be good. Just watch out for the vacuum brake booster!

Baptizo 07-08-2014 01:29 PM

I got mine in the mail yesterday, and it is a very nicely done custom part - thanks!

951kaos 08-11-2014 12:34 PM

Do you have any left over? If not do you plan on another production run? If so could you please add me to the waiting list.

RajDatta 09-05-2014 10:36 AM

I would be interested in one as well. Can you please let us know the availability.

azbanks 09-05-2014 12:13 PM

Can I get one that is not powder coated? I have a bunch of parts I am taking to the powder coater and I'd include this so it matches the rest on my parts.

reno808 09-05-2014 12:40 PM

i will be interested as well

Darwantae951 09-09-2014 12:57 PM

I'm still interested as well.

vt951 09-10-2014 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by azbanks (Post 11626935)
Can I get one that is not powder coated? I have a bunch of parts I am taking to the powder coater and I'd include this so it matches the rest on my parts.

Hey, sorry I haven't replied in a while. My job has been really crazy lately, so I haven't been on RL. Anyway, yes I can send yours pre-powder coat, and will knock $10 off as well.

The next batch is delayed due to the fabricator laser cutter machine going down. I will update here when I know more.

azbanks 09-10-2014 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 11637719)
Hey, sorry I haven't replied in a while. My job has been really crazy lately, so I haven't been on RL. Anyway, yes I can send yours pre-powder coat, and will knock $10 off as well.

The next batch is delayed due to the fabricator laser cutter machine going down. I will update here when I know more.

Great, thanks. :cheers:

vt951 09-29-2014 05:18 PM

Guys,

I found another shop to make these brackets. Sorry to keep you all waiting so long, but I was hoping that my usual shop would get their laser cutter back up and running by now and it hasn't happened yet.

For those who are still interested, what do you think of using stainless steel in lieu of powder coated regular steel? I know azbanks wants his uncoated, so as long as noone objects, I'll get this batch made out of 304 SS. They will be stronger than regular "hot-rolled" steel, and you can still paint them if you would like to match them to your engine bay.

Thanks!

royj 09-29-2014 06:40 PM

I'd be interested

vt951 09-29-2014 11:54 PM

I went ahead with the 304 SS.

RajDatta 10-01-2014 01:23 AM

Please put me down for 1.

admiralkhole 10-01-2014 09:33 AM

Just checking in after I've had mine for a while....

I still love it. No torn firewall like my old car. Well made, holding up great. Awesome investment. A must have piece for anyone running a heavy duty clutch setup.

I'm running a spec stage 2+ clutch setup, 6 puck on one side full face on the other....10.5" disc. Stiff pressure plate. Happily putting on worry free miles!

Thanks again.

mclarenno9 10-01-2014 02:14 PM

I am interested as well.

Darwantae951 10-02-2014 03:11 PM

I'm interested!

951Porschiste 10-04-2014 12:17 PM

I'm also interested!!

Count me in for one.

Pauerman 10-04-2014 04:57 PM

Also interested please.

vt951 10-20-2014 08:49 PM

Guys, I'm going nuts here. I just received 10 of the brackets from a new supplier, and they are not quite right. They used thicker gauge metal (stainless steel), and they MIG welded them rather than TIG. The main problem is, the dimensions and angles are a little off from my design. They may very well work, but I can't guarantee them. And the MIG welds are not corrosion resistant like a stainless wire TIG weld would be.

So, I hate to keep people waiting, but I'm going to have to go back to my original supplier (their laser cutter is back up and running now).

In the meantime, I'm going to offer the 10 brackets I have sitting here for half price and (as usual) a full refund if it doesn't work for you. So $50 plus shipping for these 10 only. Pm me if you're interested in one of these and I'll provide my PayPal address.

Sorry again to everyone who has waited for so long.

azbanks 10-21-2014 03:20 AM

Can you show any side by side pics of the originals vs the new ones? How far off from spec are the new ones?

I'm not worried about corrosion since I'm going to powder coat it and I live in Arizona. The only salt we get around here is on our margaritas. :cheers:

vt951 10-21-2014 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by azbanks (Post 11739864)
Can you show any side by side pics of the originals vs the new ones? How far off from spec are the new ones?

I'm not worried about corrosion since I'm going to powder coat it and I live in Arizona. The only salt we get around here is on our margaritas. :cheers:

I don't have any of the original ones in stock, so unfortunately I can't take any side-by-side pics, but I can take some pics of the new ones and post them here tonight. Dimensionally, I'd say they are up to 0.030" too long in the critical areas. The angles are a little off as well, maybe up to 1 degree. I had a guy test fit one and he said it was a little bit too long, but probably could be lightly tapped into place. Better yet, if you're willing to take a little extra time, I'm sure you could grind down some of the bracket to get it to fit perfectly. The brackets are made of metal that is thicker anyway, so grinding a little bit away shouldn't be a problem.

chudson 11-12-2014 03:59 PM

PM sent a couple of days ago. I may have interest in a few of the thicker "not quite right" units

Anyone heard from vt951 recently?

Rob 3 11-12-2014 10:26 PM

I'm interested in one of the brackets from your original supplier.

vt951 11-13-2014 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by chudson (Post 11798223)
PM sent a couple of days ago. I may have interest in a few of the thicker "not quite right" units

Anyone heard from vt951 recently?

Hey, sorry I've not been very responsive lately. My day job has been extremely busy. I still have most of the thicker brackets, so selling you a few of them is no problem. I'll pm you my PayPal address.

vt951 11-13-2014 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rob 3 (Post 11799304)
I'm interested in one of the brackets from your original supplier.

Still working on that. Apparently these things are pretty difficult to make right.

vt951 01-21-2015 10:07 AM

They're back!

1 Attachment(s)
OK guys, I know it has been a very long time and I apologize for that. But, I finally have the proper brackets made and available to sell again.

There is a plus side to the long wait... I went ahead and got 20 of them this time. I will pass on the savings of making 20 at a time... these are $89 plus shipping instead of $99.

If anyone is still interested in buying one, please send me a PM.

royj 01-21-2015 05:01 PM

Pm send for me!

royj 02-02-2015 01:00 PM

Product received this day and of very beautiful invoice.

Thanks Alan!

sm 02-02-2015 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 11014346)
I am still waiting on the prototype brackets to be completed, so I can't really answer whether it will scratch the shock tower. My plan is to put a protective coating in between the bracket and the shock tower to prevent that, but I need to do a little experimentation with different coatings and how they may or may not affect fitment on various cars, once I get the prototypes.

Bolting to the top of the shock tower was my original concept. The problem is you end up needing a much more complicated assembly of brackets to do that, and in the end I don't think it's as effective structurally because you need so many bends in the metal. It has been done (if you search here and 944 v8 swap forums you will find lots of different versions of this concept), but I just prefer the simple approach.

I don't really think linkage adjustment will be necessary. You are correct that my bracket installs behind the MC, but it is only 0.090" thick. I don't think that takes the clutch pedal linkage out of it's range of travel, but it will put the pedal a bit further from you. I doubt it will be a very noticeable difference, but maybe I'm ham-footed. :-)

Also, as for MC removal, I am hoping that the MC will be able to remain connected to the pedal linkage and hydraulic lines during installation. Hopefully, just remove the 2 nuts, push the clutch pedal in to force the MC out from the firewall, and slide my bracket in behind in, then put the MC back. Won't know for sure until I get the prototypes, but that's the plan.

Thanks for you questions and interest.

Hi. Has anyone confirmed fitment on a 968? Also, what type of coating is on the surface that will contact the strut tower (of the final design)? And the angle of the MC is still retained correct? Thanks for the nice product.

vt951 02-03-2015 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by sm (Post 12006753)
Hi. Has anyone confirmed fitment on a 968? Also, what type of coating is on the surface that will contact the strut tower (of the final design)? And the angle of the MC is still retained correct? Thanks for the nice product.

I am pretty sure that a few have been installed on 968's and I haven't heard any issues.

If you want to prevent scratches to your paint on your strut tower, the coating I would use is just a clear silicone caulk. Just a small dab will lubricate the strut tower surface as the bracket slides in. When the silicone sets up, it will also keep it from moving at all when you're driving (over bumps, etc.).

nozrider 02-05-2015 03:48 AM

Interested in purchasing a firewall bracket. Please tell me how to arrange payment and shipping.

vt951 02-05-2015 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by nozrider (Post 12014820)
Interested in purchasing a firewall bracket. Please tell me how to arrange payment and shipping.

Please send me a pm, or email me at alan_arkus AT yahoo DOT com. Let me know your location (US state or country) and I'll let you know the total to PayPal. Thanks.

whiggins 02-13-2015 10:38 AM

I got mine and will be installing on a 968. This is nicer than the first one!

Thanks for a great idea and product.

vt951 02-13-2015 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by whiggins (Post 12036790)
I got mine and will be installing on a 968. This is nicer than the first one!

Thanks for a great idea and product.

Thanks, I have a better powder coating guy now...

facboy 02-14-2015 12:22 AM

Does anyone know if this is a problem on RHD 951s?

Charlie 03-25-2015 03:54 PM

Alan, please check your pm's. I want to buy a brace. Thanks

Charlie

linzman 04-08-2015 01:26 PM

Need one too. PM sent.

Hi, PM SENT. I need one of these too. Thanks

linzman 05-25-2015 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sm (Post 12006753)
Hi. Has anyone confirmed fitment on a 968?

It will fit, but if you have the original brake booster, it will need to be modified a bit, as the brace won't fit under the booster.. Makes install a bit more than 10 minutes too, but still works very well. Here's a pic of the brace sitting on my fender showing how much had to be removed to make it work. Still would do it again.

JBC1 06-06-2015 09:21 AM

I'd like one. I'll PM you.

vt951 06-07-2015 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by JBC1 (Post 12338879)
I'd like one. I'll PM you.

Hi, I saw a visitor message from you, if you could send me a private message or maybe another visitor message with your email address, I'll send you the PayPal info. I'm not able to send you a PM for some reason. Thanks

mclarenno9 06-10-2015 07:31 AM

Has anyone installed one of these from the most recent batch into a car with the stock brake booster?

vt951 06-11-2015 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by linzman (Post 12308507)
It will fit, but if you have the original brake booster, it will need to be modified a bit, as the brace won't fit under the booster.. Makes install a bit more than 10 minutes too, but still works very well. Here's a pic of the brace sitting on my fender showing how much had to be removed to make it work. Still would do it again.

Wow, that 968 booster must be a lot bigger than the 944 version. This is the first I've heard of that. Glad it worked out in the end for you.

mclarenno9 06-13-2015 05:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Are there two different diameter brake boosters for the 944? My car is non-ABS and has an ATE booster. I am having a very tough time getting the brace to clear. FWIW the booster is about 9.5" OD. :confused:

vt951 06-16-2015 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mclarenno9 (Post 12357082)
Are there two different diameter brake boosters for the 944? My car is non-ABS and has an ATE booster. I am having a very tough time getting the brace to clear. FWIW the booster is about 9.5" OD. :confused:

I did a little bit of searching and found that there were two manufacturers of 944 brake boosters, Ate and Girling. I know that I designed the part around an Ate booster, and have test fit on a few cars with that booster. I'm really amazed that you would have that much interference. I know it was a close fit, so I could understand if due to slight variations in body sheet metal, that you may have to trim my bracket slightly,but that picture shows much more than a trim. Sorry you're have such a hard time; please let me know if you figure out a resolution on the booster size question.

Dare 06-16-2015 10:52 AM

I had the same issue on my non-ABS '86 turbo. Definitely an ATE booster. No idea why the clearance would be any different.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...dc00c4e5b9.jpg

vt951 06-16-2015 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dare (Post 12363550)
I had the same issue on my non-ABS '86 turbo. Definitely an ATE booster. No idea why the clearance would be any different.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...dc00c4e5b9.jpg

Wow. I will look into this more. Sorry for the trouble guys... I intended for this to be a bolt on part with no modifications needed, but apparently that is not the case, at least on some cars or with some boosters.

Dare 06-17-2015 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 12363908)
Wow. I will look into this more. Sorry for the trouble guys... I intended for this to be a bolt on part with no modifications needed, but apparently that is not the case, at least on some cars or with some boosters.

Let me know if I can help by taking some measurements or something.

mclarenno9 06-18-2015 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the final result. It's obviously lost a ton of its stiffness but in compression (which it mostly is) I think it's still stiff enough to do the job.

If my brake booster was ~1" less in diameter it would have probably fit without issue. I replaced the booster since I was in there, and compared new vs. old (ATE, non-ABS), and they were identical in size. In Dare's pic, it looks like his interference was about an inch forward of mine (?).

I don't see a way to actually run a bracket in a straight shot to the strut tower with the size of the booster being what it is (at least on my car). It would need to run down at a decent angle to clear. :confused:

Dare 06-19-2015 02:27 AM

I wonder if its a difference in the seam that runs around the circumference of the booster. You can sort of see in this picture that if the seem weren't there the brace would have fit with its original dimensions.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bdbf270b2d.jpg

Charlie 06-19-2015 11:09 AM

On my booster the seam appears to be more toward the firewall. Your seam appears to be where the the threads are on the clutch cylinder and mine is behind the threads. Assuming the clutch cylinders are the same length then your seam is more toward the front of the car than mine.

vt951 06-24-2015 08:48 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Just another data point... I found some of the original test fitment pics for the first batch of brackets on two cars: the red one is my ls1 car, the dirty white one is a chump car I'm building. It was close, but it did fit on both of my cars with an OE 944 vacuum booster. The OD of this booster (which I still have on the shelf) is a little over 9.5".

aerolithe 09-10-2016 01:31 PM

Just bought a 968 and would like to know if that will fit without modification I don,t know which booster I got
Thanks
Marc

vt951 09-11-2016 12:20 PM

Sorry, but I really don't know. I don't intend to sell these brackets for use on cars that have vacuum boosters (too many fitment issues). Pretty much any car with a v8 swap should fit fine, though.

Originally Posted by aerolithe (Post 13593022)
Just bought a 968 and would like to know if that will fit without modification I don,t know which booster I got
Thanks
Marc

FRporscheman 09-17-2016 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by aerolithe (Post 13593022)
Thanks
Marc

EDIT
Sorry, I misunderstood the topic, I don't know if it will fit or not.

john_d_golden 10-31-2016 02:35 PM

944S2 Master Cylinder Firewall Reinforcement

Hello,
My mechanic replaced my clutch and I asked him to check the MC for softness. He tells my the firewall is cracked/moving with the MC. Found your bracket online and guess I need to put one on. Do you have available and how to purchase? Thanks,
John from LaPlata, MD

vt951 11-07-2016 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by john_d_golden (Post 13713920)
Hello,
My mechanic replaced my clutch and I asked him to check the MC for softness. He tells my the firewall is cracked/moving with the MC. Found your bracket online and guess I need to put one on. Do you have available and how to purchase? Thanks,
John from LaPlata, MD

John,

I do not have any more in stock. I'm planning to make a new version that will not have the interference issues detailed on the previous page and will be easier to install. The current design still should work great for anyone who has a v8 (or v6) swap and removed the vacuum booster, but I'm assuming you still have the Porsche engine in there.

I'll post here when I have a new design ready.

Alan

john_d_golden 11-08-2016 12:16 PM

No worries. Thanks. I got one from someone in MA who bought one from you earlier and didn't use it. Came brand new to me. Saved lots of time and frustration by reviewing this thread because yes, the brake booster on my 1990 944 S2 was certainly in the way. I used the grinder to make room on the brace to go around the booster and it went on without too much difficulty. Then the real fun started in trying massage it place. By nudging the brake booster a little to the centerline of the car I was able to get the bracket to slide around the edge of the strut tower and lock in place. The bolt holes were a little too wide on mine so I used a hammer to slightly pinch together the u-shaped slot where the MC sits against the firewall. Viola! Then I spent the better part of two hours trying to get the nuts seated back on the two MC bolts. With the bracket in place, the bolts barely reached through the MC holes and didn't leave enough threads exposed to get the nut to purchase. More applied pressure to the MC housing toward the firewall and got the inner nut to catch. I used a universal joint socket adapter and filled the socket with paper and used electrical tape to make sure the nut hit the bolt first and didn't slide back into the socket and didn't fall out. Lost two somewhere down the rabbit hole. Once the inner bolt seated, I used leverage on the MC away from the center of the car to get the outer bolt to poke through. That one went on in seconds. Two year clutch problem solved. Thanks.

vt951 11-09-2016 02:41 PM

John, what an adventure! Glad it worked out for you, though.

V2Rocket 01-24-2017 08:13 PM

Hi, do you have any more anticipated production of these?
I might need to do clutch cylinders sometime soon and this is a good "while you're in there".

Maybe one that you could send me, and I could forget it for 3 years and send it back?
:)

blitz951 01-24-2017 09:32 PM

What are you do for the extra space? should be a couple of mm space between the master o-ring and the firewall with the bracket in place.

snb13 01-24-2017 09:42 PM

944online has some, I believe.

MAGK944 01-24-2017 10:00 PM

How does this compare to the one <only944> sells?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8d9c6ddc3.jpeg

snb13 01-24-2017 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by MAGK944
How does this compare to the one <only944> sells?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8d9c6ddc3.jpeg

Oops...I meant only944. 😱

V2Rocket 01-25-2017 11:43 AM

Just by looks the "plate" just reinforces the firewall to stop/lessen flexing.
Whereas the "brace" would entirely prevent the firewall behind the MC from flexing making sure all the "pedal motion" is being put to use actuating the clutch.

I would think the brace is a better solution and the plate is a "repair part" for an already cracked/weakened wall.

Moparboy72 02-01-2017 10:47 PM

Alan,

PM sent.

Dougs951S 05-27-2017 04:03 PM

Are these still available? Just picked up an LT4 swapped car and would like one of these for piece of mind.

V2Rocket 05-27-2017 07:53 PM

...wat

Dougs951S 05-27-2017 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by V2Rocket (Post 14215669)
...wat

You know me Spencer...the 951 is still lurking in the garage, nearing completion. She just has an angry, cammed out 8 cylinder playmate now!:thumbsup:

I guess I should make a thread about the car?

edit: The NA is still in my driveway too..seems I left the NA and 951 alone for a weekend and they multiplied..

I'm a crazy cat lady, but with 944's.

vt951 05-28-2017 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dougs951S (Post 14215327)
Are these still available? Just picked up an LT4 swapped car and would like one of these for piece of mind.

Yes, I have one left. Sending you a pm...

Dougs951S 05-28-2017 11:17 PM

Payment sent, thanks Alan!

Humboldtgrin 05-29-2017 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 14217575)
Yes, I have one left. Sending you a pm...

You should make more. I had to modify mine a little but well worth any trouble with the fitment issues. Much better then a firewall plate!

951Dreams 05-29-2017 03:59 AM

If you can get the fitment issues sorted, have you approached any of the big 4 online sellers about carrying these for you? Pull a Josh and have someone else worry about distribution and support?

Dougs951S 05-29-2017 12:39 PM

Am I correct in my understanding that the slight fitment issues relate to the turbo cars only? Seems the V8 guys have reported no trouble?

Red944ls1 06-03-2017 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 10966419)
Thought I'd post this up in case any of you high HP 951 guys with heavy clutches need one. I designed this for my v8 swap as a preventative measure (don't have any cracks yet, but I've heard it's just a matter of time).

If you haven't heard of the firewall cracking problem, here's my understanding... some cars (mostly ones with heavier clutches fitted) have developed cracks in the firewall around the clutch master cylinder due to the extra force exerted. I've seen a whole lot of crazy looking solutions to this that look only marginally effective. I wanted something cleaner looking and more of a bolt-on than weld-in.

Anyone who's interested in trying one, let me know. I am waiting on the fabricator's quotes right now. Figured I'd start with just a couple first to test fit them in a couple cars I'm working on. They will be laser cut from 13 gauge steel, press broken, welded seams, and then powder coated. I'm guessing they will cost about $150 each in quantity? **UPDATE** Price is $99 + shipping **

The basic idea is that it goes between the firewall and the MC, and the other end wedges up against the very sturdy strut tower. Optionally, a couple holes could be drilled to bolt it to the strut tower or through the wheel well. **UPDATE: After test fitting the prototypes, I do not believe that any drilling into the strut tower or wheel well will be necessary. The bracket feels very secure in its position against the strut tower. I plan to install it with just a layer of silicone between the bracket and the strut tower to prevent any marring of the surface from vibration during driving.**

where can I get one of these?

Thanks

V2Rocket 10-09-2017 07:27 PM

anybody have one of these braces available and ready to ship ASAP?

951and944S 10-10-2017 11:42 AM

LOL, dude, drill a shallow divot in the end of the master cylinder as a locator, make up a small bracket that bolts to anything solid like the side of the strut tower with a threaded adjustment bolt & lock nuts and rounded tip to fit in your master divot.

Duck soup.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/medi...er_brace-4.jpg

T

V2Rocket 10-10-2017 12:09 PM

T this thread is about a CLUTCH master brace and there's a hydraulic line coming out in that spot...

I am familiar with that type of brake MC brace, I have one for my Subaru... :)

951and944S 10-10-2017 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by V2Rocket (Post 14527311)
T this thread is about a CLUTCH master brace and there's a hydraulic line coming out in that spot...

I am familiar with that type of brake MC brace, I have one for my Subaru... :)

If you're holding the master cylinder, you're holding the firewall....;)

You'd have to have a pretty split firewall for this to not help the clutch too.

I'm down though...., made a custom one off doubling plate for clutch master on a 968 once.

Just take it all apart, it'll be obvious what you need to do once you are looking at it head on.

T

V2Rocket 10-10-2017 12:22 PM

I see what you're saying...funny as I had thought about making that type of brace for my 944 too.

I just noticed the other day that my clutch MC moves visibly when the pedal is pushed, and I'm going to be swapping it out in a few days so "while I'm in there"...

951and944S 10-10-2017 12:37 PM

By the way -

Originally Posted by V2Rocket (Post 14527342)
T this thread is about a CLUTCH master brace and there's a hydraulic line coming out in that spot..

I don't have time to read....just post...:p

Originally Posted by V2Rocket (Post 14527342)
I see what you're saying...funny as I had thought about making that type of brace for my 944 too.

I just noticed the other day that my clutch MC moves visibly when the pedal is pushed, and I'm going to be swapping it out in a few days so "while I'm in there"...

IIRC, there's a gasket there, I just made a rough 1/8" sheet using that, extended rough on the left side where I could tailor fit it to the inner wheel house and welded it to there and firewall.

It's scary how much the FW flexes if you get somebody to just go mash hard on the brakes (like in a race condition) even when the FW is perfectly intact with zero issues.

T

Dave W. 10-11-2017 12:58 AM

What a coincidence, I just finished installing the Only944 Firewall brace on my car yesterday.
https://www.only944.com/partscatalog...firewallbrace/
My firewall cracked a couple months ago. The telltale sign was the clutch engagement point kept moving lower and lower, it got to the point where it was difficult to shift. I've been using the same clutch for 2 years and it always engaged right off the floor. Now that the firewall brace is installed the engagement point has come up higher. It's firm enough for me to adjust the engagement point where I want it, plus I can adjust the resting position a little lower for better pedal feel. Yes the brake pedal feels firmer, too.
The instructions for the firewall brace are good, but here's a few tips- I replaced some of the hardware in the kit with flanged bolts to spread the load over a larger surface area. I also upgraded the stock brake booster mounting nuts to flange head nuts with fender washers, again, to spread the load over a larger area. Also, it can be difficult to install some of the bolts under the dash, especially when a bolt needs to have two washers stacked on it, so use something sticky like Teflon paste and glue the washers to the bolt. Then they won't fall off.
I'm very happy to have my car back on the road!

richardk 11-15-2017 05:27 PM

vt951, Have a 93 968 and i have a firewall crack below the clutch master cylinder. I Sure hope you have some left. I defiantly would like to buy one! What do i need to do?

vt951 11-16-2017 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by richardk (Post 14606740)
vt951, Have a 93 968 and i have a firewall crack below the clutch master cylinder. I Sure hope you have some left. I defiantly would like to buy one! What do i need to do?

Would you like to test a new version I'm working on for cars that have the vacuum brake booster and OE clutch master cylinder? I don't have them made yet, so it will be a little while.

V2Rocket 11-16-2017 11:08 AM

^^interested...any ETA?

Dave951 11-16-2017 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 14608105)
Would you like to test a new version I'm working on for cars that have the vacuum brake booster and OE clutch master cylinder? I don't have them made yet, so it will be a little while.

I'm interested as well.

richardk 11-16-2017 12:34 PM

Absolutely, I am interested. Can you give an ETA as V2Rocket asked? Thanks for your effort in creating the Brace!

vt951 11-17-2017 09:43 AM

I hope to have them ready to ship around the end of the year.

Speeddemon944 11-25-2017 11:14 PM

Put me down for 1 please!!

vt951 12-23-2017 06:59 PM

New Design for Cars with Vacuum Brake Booster

Here's what I'm working on to improve fitment around the stock brake booster and (hopefully) allow installation without removing the booster. Next I'm going to build a prototype and test the fitment and installation. Hoping to have a batch made soon!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...50ed497d12.png
And here's a comparison of the new one to the "V8" version:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0b1bb375af.png

Dave951 12-23-2017 09:20 PM

Awesome being able to potentially install the brace without removing the booster.

vt951 01-19-2018 07:49 PM

Finally got the new prototype in and the fitment is great. I am ready to have a batch of these made, but I’d like to gauge interest so I know how many to order. Please pm me and I’ll provide payment details.

Also, I’m considering having them made out of stainless steel, with TIG welded seams. They might be slightly more expensive, though (guessing about $105). Any feedback would be appreciated.

i initially tried test fitting on a car that had the brake booster, and although it does appear to be possible to get it in there without removing the booster, there is just too much other stuff in the way (wire harness, evap hoses, a/c lines, brake lines, etc.). So I think the brake booster will be the easiest thing to remove in order to install this brace, unless you have a race car with most of that stuff deleted.

Thanks guys for your continued interest in this, and for your patience!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...998f8c759.jpeg

mharmon944 01-19-2018 07:54 PM

I'll take one in stainless.

Dave951 01-19-2018 08:13 PM

Sending you a PM. Think I rather have black painted steel vs SS.

vt951 01-20-2018 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dave951 (Post 14742324)
Sending you a PM. Think I rather have black painted steel vs SS.

I suppose the SS version could be painted black; let’s see what the consensus is.

PaulD_944S2 01-20-2018 09:27 PM

PM sent, black or SS ok with me.

vt951 01-21-2018 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by mharmon944 (Post 14742276)
I'll take one in stainless.

Sorry, looks like the first batch will be black powder coated steel rather than stainless. Let me know if you're still interested; I'll send you a pm with payment details.

gruhsy 01-22-2018 11:28 AM

What is the hose clamp attached to in the middle of your photo.....strange looking clutch slave cylinder....to the left of the blue AN fitting??

vt951 01-22-2018 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by gruhsy (Post 14747140)
What is the hose clamp attached to in the middle of your photo.....strange looking clutch slave cylinder....to the left of the blue AN fitting??

That’s a Tilton master cylinder. The hose clamp holds a part that connects a hose to the brake fluid reservoir. It’s v8 swap stuff.

TurboCab 01-27-2018 01:44 PM

Hi. Has been a long time since my last visit to Rennlist forums. Nevertheless I want to share my experience and repair process with the dreaded firewall cracks. My car is a Porsche 968 Turbo. I have installed a Specs clutch kit with fairly aggressive pressure plate. Unfortunately I dint pay attention to the stories of firewall cracks until it happened to me. I was looking for an effective and elegant solution to solve the problem once and for all and in the end this what I did:

1. The cracks were welded. In my case there two cracks, one that runs across the joint between the firewall and fender wall and another that runs to the Steering wheel column.
2. Welding's were cleaned and painted with a good quality primer and paint.
3. I purchased the Only944 firewall plate and installed it. I used longer bolts in some areas to be able to install a locknuts to prevent loosening of the bolts with time. This required some modification to the Brake booster base.
4. To ensure that there is no flex or at least a minimum flex of the firewall I fabricated an L shaped bracket and welded it to the Firewall plate and fenderwall.
5. Weldings were cleaned and painted at the top and under the fenderwall.

To this time it is worked flawlessly and is barely noticeable. It was a fairly complex and time consuming process but I want to be sure I will never look back at this problem again.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bc01adf911.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0924ad8e07.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f31b1f7dd1.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0ff89f6a21.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...df908748e6.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0344b5ba0d.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1528384d2b.jpg

crazyz007 01-29-2018 12:56 AM

I am in for one. Let me know how and when to pay.

ealoken 01-29-2018 03:33 AM

Still avaliable ? I need one.

vt951 01-30-2018 10:20 AM

So far, 6 people have pre-ordered (thank you!). And it looks like possibly crazyz007 and ealoken will be in. So, I'm about to place an order for either 10 or 20 of them with the metal fabricator... I'm leaning toward ordering 20 since there is a setup fee for each batch, but don't want to sit on an extra 10 if nobody needs them, so... Anyone else need one of these?

royj 02-05-2018 07:58 PM

I may be interested in the new model, but I would like it in stainless steel, is it possible?

vt951 02-06-2018 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by royj (Post 14779777)
I may be interested in the new model, but I would like it in stainless steel, is it possible?

Sorry, not at this time. If there is enough interest, I can have a batch of stainless ones made sometime. For now, I have 12 more black powder coated ones available. I'll post a pic soon.

gruhsy 02-06-2018 10:39 AM

I would be down for 2 in stainless when you are ready.

vt951 02-08-2018 04:55 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c43769b7d.jpeg

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 14781177)
Sorry, not at this time. If there is enough interest, I can have a batch of stainless ones made sometime. For now, I have 12 more black powder coated ones available. I'll post a pic soon.

just picked them up. here’s what they look looks like in black powder coat:

Dave951 02-15-2018 07:36 PM

Got mine in the mail today, real nice looking piece. Looking forward to putting it together with a new master when the garage warms up a bit.

MM951 02-16-2018 09:45 AM

Cool product - I'll take one too

richardk 02-16-2018 04:13 PM

Got mine yesterday. Looks Fantastic installed today with new master clutch cylinder, DID NOT have to take of the brake booster off to install on my 968. I did have to file a little bit off the bolt hole on Left side "hole farthest from brake booster" to make the turn and fit.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f19418bacb.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b6461ca648.jpg

vt951 02-17-2018 03:14 PM

Thanks, that’s great to hear you got it in without removing the booster.

davelister 03-06-2018 06:18 PM

Can I get one too ? I would like to order one.

Luis de Prat 03-08-2018 12:54 PM

Hello, I'm interested in one as well for a stock '90 944S2. Thanks!

Dave951 06-27-2018 04:51 PM

Finally installed mine today. Like RichardK I also had to use a round file to slightly increase the bracket hole on the furthest from the brake booster side for my 87 951. Lengthwise fit was great against the strut tower and I was able to keep the booster in place. As a note the bracket is about 2.5mm thick so just add that additional length to the normal 147mm (LHD drive) + 3mm (firewall thickness) to get the ideal clevis/stop nut location.

kev951 06-28-2018 04:06 PM

Count me in!

You have a black finish and a stainless finish?
Kev

Bill 06-28-2018 05:43 PM

I would like one. Let me know how to pay.

NCLA951 06-28-2018 09:15 PM

Are these still available?

vt951 06-29-2018 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by kev951 (Post 15109377)
Count me in!

You have a black finish and a stainless finish?
Kev

The new design that I have in stock now is only black powder coat.

NCLA951 06-29-2018 12:03 PM

How can I buy one? Engine is out now is great time to install it.

Thanks!

kev951 06-29-2018 01:11 PM

Great!, where and how do I pay?

vt951 06-29-2018 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by kev951 (Post 15111206)
Great!, where and how do I pay?

pm’s sent to Bill, NCLA, and Kev. Thanks guys.

Timothy Parker 07-09-2018 08:24 PM

I would like to purchase a bracket

Bill 07-10-2018 02:12 AM

Got the bracket. Looks great, nice design. Can’t wait to install. Thanks!

vt951 07-10-2018 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Timothy Parker (Post 15131142)
I would like to purchase a bracket

Timothy,

I'm down to my last one in stock. Since this was your first post on RL, rather than using pm, please send an email to alan_arkus@yahoo.com and I'll send you the payment info.

Thanks,
Alan

vt951 07-10-2018 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 15131748)
Got the bracket. Looks great, nice design. Can’t wait to install. Thanks!

Thanks, Bill. Glad you like it!

kev951 07-12-2018 02:41 PM

super nice, thanks soo much!

steven74 07-13-2018 01:37 AM

Pm sent for support if still available or eta of new ones.

vt951 07-13-2018 07:34 AM

Steven, pm replied.

I am getting another run of these made. I might get some of them in stainless steel, in addition to the standard black powder coat. So far, I only have one person requesting stainless, though. Does anyone else prefer stainless?

Humboldtgrin 07-13-2018 12:33 PM

If you make them they will sell. Yes we all want stainless as an option. Just because you don’t get an instant response from everyone doesn’t mean they won’t sell. You got a good product going on and they will sell. I plan on buying at least three more in the future. Make a run of 20 stainless and 20 regular and maybe even 10 assorted Porsche exterior colors to match the engine bays? People like options, the more options the more clientele you draw. I’ll let you know when I can afford the next one. Just keep up the good work.

vt951 07-13-2018 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin (Post 15139186)
If you make them they will sell. Yes we all want stainless as an option. Just because you don’t get an instant response from everyone doesn’t mean they won’t sell. You got a good product going on and they will sell. I plan on buying at least three more in the future. Make a run of 20 stainless and 20 regular and maybe even 10 assorted Porsche exterior colors to match the engine bays? People like options, the more options the more clientele you draw. I’ll let you know when I can afford the next one. Just keep up the good work.

Sage advice, thanks. :-) Ok you convinced me to get a run of stainless made in addition to the black ones.

vt951 08-14-2018 03:35 PM

Good news for everyone who's been asking for the stainless steel version... I have 9 of them in stock now. I also have 8 of the black powder coated ones. Stainless steel are $119 plus shipping, black are $99 plus shipping. Please pm me if interested.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8b38407b6.jpeg

PaulD_944S2 08-14-2018 04:42 PM

Alan, PM sent about SS reinforcements.
Which SS material was used?

vt951 08-14-2018 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2 (Post 15215747)
Alan, PM sent about SS reinforcements.
Which SS material was used?

Paul, pm replied.

They are made from 304.

Humboldtgrin 08-14-2018 11:20 PM

Make that 8 SS units. I don’t think these will last long at all.

User 41221 08-15-2018 02:02 PM

I'll take one, black please. :) I am going to paint mine body color. PM me and I'll shoot you a paypal.

porschevert 06-07-2019 04:41 PM

FIREWALL SUPPORT PURCHASE

Originally Posted by vt951 (Post 10966419)

I'D LIKE TO BUY SEVERAL OF YOUR FIREWALL SUPPORTS. I NEED ONE FOR A CUSTOMER AND I HAVE THREE TRACK CARS, ONE HAS AN LS AND ANOTHER IS GETTING ONE SOON. I ALSO HAVE TWO CUSTOMERS WANTING US TO CONVERT THEIR 951'S TO LS POWER. MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS porschevert@hotmail.com THANKS, RAY

vt951 06-08-2019 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by porschevert (Post 15893094)
I'D LIKE TO BUY SEVERAL OF YOUR FIREWALL SUPPORTS. I NEED ONE FOR A CUSTOMER AND I HAVE THREE TRACK CARS, ONE HAS AN LS AND ANOTHER IS GETTING ONE SOON. I ALSO HAVE TWO CUSTOMERS WANTING US TO CONVERT THEIR 951'S TO LS POWER. MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS porschevert@hotmail.com THANKS, RAY

Email sent

odurandina 07-23-2019 11:27 PM

does anyone know where to start for the low hydraulic pressure issue for the Spec V8 clutches?

Humboldtgrin 07-24-2019 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by odurandina (Post 15994063)
does anyone know where to start for the low hydraulic pressure issue for the Spec V8 clutches?

Lart would totally know the answer to this question. He loves LS swapped 951’s. Did I write that right? My dyslexia gets the better of me sometimes.

odurandina 07-24-2019 03:52 AM

That's not really a bad idea at all. Lart, or LR, would have both been great choices to be the go-to V8 swap parts guys all along. No knock on [Kent Marr] (also a stand up character), who took over for Eric Hill when he decided he wanted nothing to do with being a fabricator & re-seller.

http://www.texasperformanceconcepts....ion-parts.html

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin (Post 15994228)
Lart would totally know the answer to this question. He loves LS swapped 951’s. Did I write that right? .

Luis has never performed any work on my LS 968.
In fact i've never met the dude. You have to believe....
He'll never cross over to the dark side. :icon107:

Luis de Prat 08-03-2019 05:55 PM

Hello all,

Just got around to fitting this brace and wanted to know the steps involved.

Any pointers would be appreciated. The car is a 1990 944S2.

Thanks!

tempest411 11-08-2019 11:32 PM

Does anyone know if these are these still being offered by the OP?

vt951 11-09-2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by tempest411 (Post 16219471)
Does anyone know if these are these still being offered by the OP?

Hi, thanks for your interest. Sorry for the slow reply to your pm. Yes, I do still offer these, but they are sold through a web site here:

https://www.boostbrothersgarage.com/...firewall-brace

kiato4 12-23-2019 08:09 PM

I finally got around to installing mine, I have to say it is a work of art.

Yogii 09-18-2022 10:30 PM

Is this something that should be done to a non-racecar but hard driven street car? As preventive maintenance?
That way, you can use stronger clutches if OEM become NLA.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice

kiato4 09-26-2022 06:50 AM

I was about to install one on a hard driven street car but I sold the car first. If anyone wants a new version for cheaper than what is online, please PM me. Mine is black powder coated (no longer available).

Thom 09-27-2022 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yogii (Post 18367132)
Is this something that should be done to a non-racecar but hard driven street car? As preventive maintenance?

Absolutely. At 240k miles my firewall was way past its best, especially after 60k miles with a rather stiff KEP2 pressure plate, and the firewall reinforcement has brought a like-new feel to the clutch I was not expecting.
This is IMO a must have for anyone who cannot proceed to fix their firewall other than with a drop-in part.

kiato4 09-25-2023 05:01 PM

I am selling one of these for a fraction of the new price if anyone wants one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/295948206842

ew968 02-23-2024 11:17 AM

clutch master firewall reinforcement available?

Hello, my name is Eckhard, i'm from germany. I am interested in buying this item: clutch master firewall reinforcement. I'm interested in buying 4/four items if them. Are the items available and can they be delivered and how can i place an order für these items? Price? Answers are welcome!

ew968 02-23-2024 11:23 AM

944 Clutch Firewall Brace

944 Clutch firewall brace offered at https://www.boostbrothersgarage.com/...firewall-brace are "SOLD OUT".
Will they be deliverable soon?

931guru 02-23-2024 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ew968 (Post 19295747)

944 Clutch Firewall Brace

944 Clutch firewall brace offered at https://www.boostbrothersgarage.com/...firewall-brace are "SOLD OUT".
Will they be deliverable soon?

Look here:

https://only944.com/partscatalog/only/firewallbrace/

ew968 02-24-2024 06:06 AM

firewall reinforcement

Originally Posted by 931guru (Post 19296503)

Hello 931guru, thanks for answering. Unfortunately i prefer the other version. https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...2-weldment.png Member VT951 wrote about this solution at the very beginning ogf this thread. This would be my first choice. If not deliverable, i would change to option two (https://only944.com/). Thx for your link, it is helpful anyway :)