Id like one.
You got it Sammy. Make it rain trick...
Old 12-18-2013, 10:37 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Brilliant Idea!

I had a stiff clutch on my 968, and it was causing the firewall to flex, until is started to CRACK! The flexing was making it harder and harder to change gears, and eventually the crack created an opening from the engine bay right to my left foot!!

I had to take everything out and weld a triangle in and fill the crack.. what a HUGE pain in the posterior!!

I HIGHLY recommend a bracket like this to anyone with a stiffer than OEM clutch!
Thanks Rich. I'll paypal you shortly. :-)
Old 12-19-2013, 03:16 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd be interested
Old 12-19-2013, 03:44 AM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too !
Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Any easy way to find out if its cracked?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlsbergas
Any easy way to find out if its cracked?
Ask a friend to push the pedal while you look at the firewall around the master cylinder...
Old 12-19-2013, 07:52 AM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Ok. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:17 AM
nozrider
3rd Gear

I'll take one when they are ready!
Old 12-21-2013, 05:00 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Me too. Thanks, Mike
Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice product. Couple of questions:

- will the brace scratch up the shock tower? Can you make a provision so the brace mounts to the 4 bolts on top of the shock tower, thus preventing the brace from rubbing directly against the shock tower?

- will adjustment to the clutch pedal linkage be necessary once the brace is installed? I'm assuming the clutch master is removed, the brace installed, and then the clutch master reinstalled?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2013, 07:48 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sm
Nice product. Couple of questions:

- will the brace scratch up the shock tower? Can you make a provision so the brace mounts to the 4 bolts on top of the shock tower, thus preventing the brace from rubbing directly against the shock tower?
I am still waiting on the prototype brackets to be completed, so I can't really answer whether it will scratch the shock tower. My plan is to put a protective coating in between the bracket and the shock tower to prevent that, but I need to do a little experimentation with different coatings and how they may or may not affect fitment on various cars, once I get the prototypes.

Bolting to the top of the shock tower was my original concept. The problem is you end up needing a much more complicated assembly of brackets to do that, and in the end I don't think it's as effective structurally because you need so many bends in the metal. It has been done (if you search here and 944 v8 swap forums you will find lots of different versions of this concept), but I just prefer the simple approach.

Originally Posted by sm
- will adjustment to the clutch pedal linkage be necessary once the brace is installed? I'm assuming the clutch master is removed, the brace installed, and then the clutch master reinstalled?

Thanks
I don't really think linkage adjustment will be necessary. You are correct that my bracket installs behind the MC, but it is only 0.090" thick. I don't think that takes the clutch pedal linkage out of it's range of travel, but it will put the pedal a bit further from you. I doubt it will be a very noticeable difference, but maybe I'm ham-footed. :-)

Also, as for MC removal, I am hoping that the MC will be able to remain connected to the pedal linkage and hydraulic lines during installation. Hopefully, just remove the 2 nuts, push the clutch pedal in to force the MC out from the firewall, and slide my bracket in behind in, then put the MC back. Won't know for sure until I get the prototypes, but that's the plan.

Thanks for you questions and interest.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

OK, finally got the prototype brackets made and test fit on a couple cars. Fitment is excellent. I made a couple of minor tweaks to the design to make installation easier. On cars with the vacuum brake booster, it will need to be removed or at least pulled out of the firewall and slid over about an inch in order to install this bracket. V8 cars don't have the vacuum booster, so it should be very easy to install for them.

Here are some pics of the prototypes. Note that the production units will be professionally welded and powder coated, so they will look at bit nicer. The first 2 pics show a bracket installed with the OE 944 clutch master. The vacuum booster is not shown for clarity, but I did test fit it. The last few pics show the same bracket (before welded or painted) with a Tilton 7/8" clutch master installed.

PM me if you would like one... price is $99 + shipping, in hopes that most everyone who expressed interest will follow through with an order (I need to order a batch of 20 to get the cost down enough to make this worth my while).

Thanks!
Attached Images      
Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A part a good friend of mine made off a pattern provided by another lister. It had to be slightly modified from the original design. Also a warning to everyone running very stiff Pressure plates, make sure when you install a firewall flex plate that you verify the angle of the clevis rod doesnt change too drastically do the the added thickness, the change in the angle of the applied forced can easily snap the clevis rod. Some modification to the rod may be required to return its angle against the master cylinder piston closer to stock.

Name:  m01G2SV.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  51.6 KB
Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Hey Doug,

Yeah, I had something like that plate in my v8 swap car for a couple years. It throws off the angle of the master cylinder relative to the pedal linkage. That's exactly why I designed the bracket shown above... see previous posts discussing the pros and cons of firewall plates in detail.

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
A part a good friend of mine made off a pattern provided by another lister. It had to be slightly modified from the original design. Also a warning to everyone running very stiff Pressure plates, make sure when you install a firewall flex plate that you verify the angle of the clevis rod doesnt change too drastically do the the added thickness, the change in the angle of the applied forced can easily snap the clevis rod. Some modification to the rod may be required to return its angle against the master cylinder piston closer to stock.

The following users liked this post:
kipv (09-15-2019)
Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought, would it not be better to mount it behind the cylinder?

Firewall | Clutch Master | Brace | Nut

If my memory serves, there is a gasket between the clutch master and the firewall and it looks like with the bracket between the firewall and the clutch master there is a gap now?

Quick Reply: Clutch Master Firewall Reinforcement