Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Clutch Master Firewall Reinforcement (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/790190-clutch-master-firewall-reinforcement.html)

john_d_golden 10-31-2016 02:35 PM

944S2 Master Cylinder Firewall Reinforcement

Hello,
My mechanic replaced my clutch and I asked him to check the MC for softness. He tells my the firewall is cracked/moving with the MC. Found your bracket online and guess I need to put one on. Do you have available and how to purchase? Thanks,
John from LaPlata, MD

vt951 11-07-2016 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by john_d_golden (Post 13713920)
Hello,
My mechanic replaced my clutch and I asked him to check the MC for softness. He tells my the firewall is cracked/moving with the MC. Found your bracket online and guess I need to put one on. Do you have available and how to purchase? Thanks,
John from LaPlata, MD

John,

I do not have any more in stock. I'm planning to make a new version that will not have the interference issues detailed on the previous page and will be easier to install. The current design still should work great for anyone who has a v8 (or v6) swap and removed the vacuum booster, but I'm assuming you still have the Porsche engine in there.

I'll post here when I have a new design ready.

Alan

john_d_golden 11-08-2016 12:16 PM

No worries. Thanks. I got one from someone in MA who bought one from you earlier and didn't use it. Came brand new to me. Saved lots of time and frustration by reviewing this thread because yes, the brake booster on my 1990 944 S2 was certainly in the way. I used the grinder to make room on the brace to go around the booster and it went on without too much difficulty. Then the real fun started in trying massage it place. By nudging the brake booster a little to the centerline of the car I was able to get the bracket to slide around the edge of the strut tower and lock in place. The bolt holes were a little too wide on mine so I used a hammer to slightly pinch together the u-shaped slot where the MC sits against the firewall. Viola! Then I spent the better part of two hours trying to get the nuts seated back on the two MC bolts. With the bracket in place, the bolts barely reached through the MC holes and didn't leave enough threads exposed to get the nut to purchase. More applied pressure to the MC housing toward the firewall and got the inner nut to catch. I used a universal joint socket adapter and filled the socket with paper and used electrical tape to make sure the nut hit the bolt first and didn't slide back into the socket and didn't fall out. Lost two somewhere down the rabbit hole. Once the inner bolt seated, I used leverage on the MC away from the center of the car to get the outer bolt to poke through. That one went on in seconds. Two year clutch problem solved. Thanks.

vt951 11-09-2016 02:41 PM

John, what an adventure! Glad it worked out for you, though.

V2Rocket 01-24-2017 08:13 PM

Hi, do you have any more anticipated production of these?
I might need to do clutch cylinders sometime soon and this is a good "while you're in there".

Maybe one that you could send me, and I could forget it for 3 years and send it back?
:)

blitz951 01-24-2017 09:32 PM

What are you do for the extra space? should be a couple of mm space between the master o-ring and the firewall with the bracket in place.

snb13 01-24-2017 09:42 PM

944online has some, I believe.

MAGK944 01-24-2017 10:00 PM

How does this compare to the one <only944> sells?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8d9c6ddc3.jpeg

snb13 01-24-2017 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by MAGK944
How does this compare to the one <only944> sells?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8d9c6ddc3.jpeg

Oops...I meant only944. 😱

V2Rocket 01-25-2017 11:43 AM

Just by looks the "plate" just reinforces the firewall to stop/lessen flexing.
Whereas the "brace" would entirely prevent the firewall behind the MC from flexing making sure all the "pedal motion" is being put to use actuating the clutch.

I would think the brace is a better solution and the plate is a "repair part" for an already cracked/weakened wall.

Moparboy72 02-01-2017 10:47 PM

Alan,

PM sent.

Dougs951S 05-27-2017 04:03 PM

Are these still available? Just picked up an LT4 swapped car and would like one of these for piece of mind.

V2Rocket 05-27-2017 07:53 PM

...wat

Dougs951S 05-27-2017 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by V2Rocket (Post 14215669)
...wat

You know me Spencer...the 951 is still lurking in the garage, nearing completion. She just has an angry, cammed out 8 cylinder playmate now!:thumbsup:

I guess I should make a thread about the car?

edit: The NA is still in my driveway too..seems I left the NA and 951 alone for a weekend and they multiplied..

I'm a crazy cat lady, but with 944's.

vt951 05-28-2017 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dougs951S (Post 14215327)
Are these still available? Just picked up an LT4 swapped car and would like one of these for piece of mind.

Yes, I have one left. Sending you a pm...