Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do not solder O2 sensor wires!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
What is your automotive backround? Because it has been mentioned in this thread numerous times that it is unacceptable 1. By the manufacturer and 2. By most manufacturers to solder the wires. Without a doubt in my mind your solder connection has a better chance of failing then a crimp connector that Porsche specifies. And it's not anything your doing it's the fact that the wire becomes brittle at the edges of the solder repair, not to mention as was posted earlier you could block your reference air.

Mark
I starled playing with my dad's cheap solder gun when I was 8 years old. I was formally trained in soldering electronics(micro voltage controllers, circuit boards, custom electic motors , etc) when I was 14. I am now 35.

Why would wire become brittle at the edge of the solder? I said a "good" solder connection which means not overheating the wire, using the correct solder, and proper insulation based on what is being soldered. I would not solder near the O2 sensor itself but soldering near the plug will cause less issues that what the actual plug connection would.

Of course if you don't properly prep the wire and then quickly clump some solder on a wire and wrap it with electrical tabe, it will fail. I have seen many bad solder jobs fail and many good and bad crimp connections fail. I have yet to see a proper solder job fail.

I'm not posting to argue about the reference air claim, but I will wholey argue that a crimp connection is never as strong as a proper solder connection.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:56 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw... the new Bosch O2 sensor w/ the factory plug-in is like $90 at amazon.com...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do not solder O2 sensor wires!!!