Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another day at the Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:45 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
describing it is a problem since you can measure the angle from either side! You want the pipe to be at less than 90 degrees from the turbo side of the crossover.
lol...yeah I thought you'd say that. That's why I 'tried' to qualify the question by mentioning the direction of flow...but then if there's some reversion or backpressure I guess that is a bit open to interpretation.

Sounds like this car would be a blast on the road. Not sure that he should change a thing just yet.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I still feel that a driver that learned without ABS can drive better than a driver that relies on ABS. Some people believe that the proper way to drive an ABS track car is to just push the brake pedal down as hard as possible and allow the ABS to sort it out, I believe that this makes for an uneven transition to trail braking.
I agree!

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Abs is the lazy man's way but it's also going to be faster the majority of times.
The real key here Patrick, is that there are always the micro picture and the macro picture... In a straight line, an ABS system fully engaged will be able to slow the car quicker than an experience driver modulating his/her pedal pressure at the threshold - that's the focused view of the single element.

But, in the broader environment of braking and going through a corner on a race track, there is a lot more at play - such as keeping the car balanced and managing weight transfer while you gradually transition the frictional loading of the tires from a longitudinal to a lateral direction. To maximize this, it sometimes takes very "delicate" or "sensitive" feeling from the brake pedal - and that feeling is something you will only receive if your foot is not mashed to the floor, but rather is applying just the right amount of pressure.

Think about this: with your eyes closed, you can feel the difference between sand paper and smooth paper, regardless of how hard you push your finger down. But, with your eyes closed, if you're asked to feel the difference between different grades of stationary paper, you'll have to touch each one gently to feel the fibers and texture.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I agree!

The real key here Patrick, is that there are always the micro picture and the macro picture... In a straight line, an ABS system fully engaged will be able to slow the car quicker than an experience driver modulating his/her pedal pressure at the threshold - that's the focused view of the single element.

But, in the broader environment of braking and going through a corner on a race track, there is a lot more at play - such as keeping the car balanced and managing weight transfer while you gradually transition the frictional loading of the tires from a longitudinal to a lateral direction. To maximize this, it sometimes takes very "delicate" or "sensitive" feeling from the brake pedal - and that feeling is something you will only receive if your foot is not mashed to the floor, but rather is applying just the right amount of pressure.

Think about this: with your eyes closed, you can feel the difference between sand paper and smooth paper, regardless of how hard you push your finger down. But, with your eyes closed, if you're asked to feel the difference between different grades of stationary paper, you'll have to touch each one gently to feel the fibers and texture.
What is best for learning is a different topic. Purely in the effort of going as quickly as possible around a track a good ABS system is preferred by "everyone" including pro drivers. But a Motorsport ABS is not the same as an old street system from the eighties though.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
36 grit kind of hurts if you press hard.......
Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Duke
What is best for learning is a different topic. Purely in the effort of going as quickly as possible around a track a good ABS system is preferred by "everyone" including pro drivers. But a Motorsport ABS is not the same as an old street system from the eighties though.
True - but 'pro' drivers would also like traction control, stability control and active suspension. I am too old school to let a computer drive my car! the only reason that I will finally consider ABS is to save on expensive tires.

I drive a 30 year old platform because that is what I enjoy. If ultimate lap time were the goal I would be driving something else.

Take pride in driving well!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

True - but 'pro' drivers would also like traction control, stability control and active suspension. I am too old school to let a computer drive my car! the only reason that I will finally consider ABS is to save on expensive tires.

I drive a 30 year old platform because that is what I enjoy. If ultimate lap time were the goal I would be driving something else.

Take pride in driving well!
I totally understand, but now when I'm competing for ultimate lap times I want all the "cheating" I can get away with. That's why you don't see much of the 30 year old platform left on my car
Oh and I have a motorsport adjustable traction control that will go in together with the ABS
Old 09-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

can't you start a 'vintage' class?

BTW - I am talking about the car not the driver.....
Old 09-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Lol. Well you could enter with a mildly modified 951 in the middle classes but I got this damn hook up to beat the fastest cars with something that resembles an old car from the eighties. The good thing is that makes me an underdog
Old 09-17-2013, 05:16 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I can enter that class on both grounds.

I understand the points of anti abs. At this stage I won't have it on my car yet so I'll just have to learn the hard way. btw Van, I simply refuse to do it with my eyes shut though!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

btw Van, I simply refuse to do it with my eyes shut though!
You're missing out!

Seriously, though, can you visualize the track with your eyes closed, and imagine you're driving a lap, moving your hands and feet as you would, and, at the end of the imaginary lap, have it be the same as your actual lap time?

When you can, you're ready to drive with your eye's closed! (But it's a really good exercise to work on...)
Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

"When you can grasp the pebble from my hand, it is time for you to leave Grasshopper"
Old 09-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

"When you can grasp the pebble from my hand, it is time for you to leave Grasshopper"
and then die from autoerotic self asphyxiation in Bangkok?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:48 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, great dyno results!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice results!