Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rocker panel stone guard

Old 06-25-2013, 02:29 AM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rocker panel stone guard

I've noticed in pictures of other cars on here that many have removed the stone guard coating on the rocker panels. I prefer that look to the way my car looks with the textured slightly yellowed stone guard.

What is the best way to remove the stuff?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:22 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very carefully with heat gun and plastic putty knife or Bondo applicator. Worked for me anyway.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen many people talk about using an eraser wheel. I think something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BMU9CEM http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BMU9CEM

Also, I got a full set of new stone guards from another Rennlister aljolyn for a good price and with the clear you can protect the car without that yellow textured look.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-guards-4.html
Old 06-25-2013, 02:34 PM
dinodanny
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aglaes,
Are you talking about the textured coating on the rockers or the clear plastic stone guards next to the wheel wells?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good question, maybe I misread the OP's original question. I have never seen the textured coating turn yellow, but maybe this is what he is referring too. If so, he is in for a real treat if he wants to remove that and make it smooth.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 AM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I'm referring to the textured coating along the rocker panel under the doors. Maybe it's not so much yellow as it's just hazy looking. It's pretty obvious in some of the pictures I've seen of other cars that it's been removed and the paint underneath has been polished or it was repainted.

The previous owner of my car apparently re-did the stone guards around the wheel wells and just in front of the rear wheels. They are in great shape - but I am considering removing them as we'll.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:45 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

When prepping my car for paint, a plastic putty knife and a heatgun was all it took. Careful with the heat though as the paint can bubble. Didn't matter for me as it was all getting re-done but watch out.

I have been daily driving my car for close to 2 years with new paint without stoneguards (I bought them, just never put them on) or the rocker coating.

I drive on not-so-great roads almost all the time. Even the freeways around here aren't pretty. I have driven on dirt roads, gravel, pot-holed parking lots, behind trucks full of rocks, etc...

Still not even a chip. YMMV and it might be a longer-term benefit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rocker panel stone guard