Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My porsche 944 S2 16 valve turbo project

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 PM
BisimotoSales
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on the fantastic results! Thank you for sharing.

- Julio A.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 05-15-2013, 02:54 PM
turbotim3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BisimotoSales
Congratulations on the fantastic results! Thank you for sharing.

- Julio A.

Thanks for taking the time to read it all. Cheers Tim
Old 05-15-2013, 03:03 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Have you worked on any RS200's?

Just curious.

Originally Posted by turbotim3
Thanks for taking the time to read it all. Cheers Tim
Old 05-15-2013, 04:00 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Tim

I am based in the UK as well and run a 968 3.0 8v turbo with Motec. I am just about to go to the dyno next week to remap the car after loads of changes including a new cam & turbo. I am probably in the other direction of your build i.e. changed down a level on the turbo I had for better spool and running low boost to complement the bigger bore and also for reliability. I dont have access to your kind of facilities hence my build is much more conventional and I decided to stick with the bolt on KKK housing for now for simplicity but may be tempted down the full Garrett road in the future.

I have managed to make a decent front mount intercooler though which you may be looking into for when you actually drop the engine in, drop me a pm if you want to know more. I am guessing the standard IC will be a bit restrictive in terms of flow for your setup. It looks like you have a fairly impressive IC connected up on the dyno if that is what I can see in the pics. I have spent a bit of time around the Cosworth scene in the past and also at HT racing down here in the South who also do a few Cossie engines and they used to run a Cosworth intercooler submerged in water on their superflow dyno which was good for keeping temps nice and controlled whilst still using a standard IC.

Super impressed with what you have done there though. I often wondered what would be the result if one of the Cosworth based tuners got hold of the 944 turbo lump. There are known issues with these engines but you have the perfect base to do the R&D and it can only be a good thing for all involved if your project opens up some new ideas as is really interesting from my perspective to read about. I am following with interest.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:22 PM
turbotim3
Instructor

Originally Posted by nick_968
Hi Tim

I am based in the UK as well and run a 968 3.0 8v turbo with Motec. I am just about to go to the dyno next week to remap the car after loads of changes including a new cam & turbo. I am probably in the other direction of your build i.e. changed down a level on the turbo I had for better spool and running low boost to complement the bigger bore and also for reliability. I dont have access to your kind of facilities hence my build is much more conventional and I decided to stick with the bolt on KKK housing for now for simplicity but may be tempted down the full Garrett road in the future.

I have managed to make a decent front mount intercooler though which you may be looking into for when you actually drop the engine in, drop me a pm if you want to know more. I am guessing the standard IC will be a bit restrictive in terms of flow for your setup. It looks like you have a fairly impressive IC connected up on the dyno if that is what I can see in the pics. I have spent a bit of time around the Cosworth scene in the past and also at HT racing down here in the South who also do a few Cossie engines and they used to run a Cosworth intercooler submerged in water on their superflow dyno which was good for keeping temps nice and controlled whilst still using a standard IC.

Super impressed with what you have done there though. I often wondered what would be the result if one of the Cosworth based tuners got hold of the 944 turbo lump. There are known issues with these engines but you have the perfect base to do the R&D and it can only be a good thing for all involved if your project opens up some new ideas as is really interesting from my perspective to read about. I am following with interest.
Cheers Nick. Hoping to get it back on dyno and finish mapping it so I can start on the installation. Thinking of grafting two 4x4 cossie intercoolers together. Cheers Tim
Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM
turbotim3
Instructor

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Have you worked on any RS200's?

Just curious.
Yes, I've done three Evo's. One is in a car on youtube under (Jeremy Clackson RS200) which he crashes. It was just over 700bhp. The other two belong to a collector in the UK. A group B rally car and a race car 726bhp. Nice engines but a pain to work on.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:16 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Also to note and easily missed is that Tim's motor is a 2.7L, not a 3L so the figures are even more impressive.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Also to note and easily missed is that Tim's motor is a 2.7L, not a 3L so the figures are even more impressive.
Also interesting that it is on standard headers, intake runners and head albeit with re profiled cams. So we are well north of 500hp on factory parts with a 2.7 which shows how good the 16v option is with boost.

I am interested to see how much of that power can be sustained once the engine is in the car as heat has to be the enemy here if the head will stay sealed. Heat has certainly been one of my biggest issues and a major part of a reliable turbo install.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:39 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

As I pointed out on TIPEC .
Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

fantastic build, love to see more! Keep us posted Tim
Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
As I pointed out on TIPEC .
Yes, exactly. I had glanced over it initially thinking it was a 3L but at 2.7L and as Nick states, many stock parts, it's quite an achievment. I think the tune must be interesting to be pushing that amount of boost on pump fuel too. Congratulations to Tim.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, exactly. I had glanced over it initially thinking it was a 3L but at 2.7L and as Nick states, many stock parts, it's quite an achievment. I think the tune must be interesting to be pushing that amount of boost on pump fuel too. Congratulations to Tim.
I had to ask Tim to confirm it was a 2.7. Unusual approach to use the 2.7 bottom end, ie 2.5 crank and 104mm bore with an S2 head. I dont think there's that many stock components left though. As he's only 30 miles up the road from me perhaps I'll be going for a look next time it's on the dyno.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 AM
OzJustin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very impressive build Tim. Thanks for sharing. It's always refreshing reading about a new approach to these great little cars.
Do you have E85 in the UK?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gee i didn't pick up it's a 2.7L I realised he said 2.7 crank and i still didn't think of much about it. I suppose this thing would love to rev.

Originally Posted by OzJustin
Very impressive build Tim. Thanks for sharing. It's always refreshing reading about a new approach to these great little cars.
Do you have E85 in the UK?
Indeed they do. their fuel is as good as ours.

Quick Reply: My porsche 944 S2 16 valve turbo project