Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Your view on safety! (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/751568-your-view-on-safety.html)

Paulyy 04-17-2013 08:34 AM

Your view on safety!

What are you views on using replica brands vs original brands in products like
  • Steering wheels
  • racing seats
  • racing harness
  • braded brake lines (not adr/dot approved)
  • wheels

Either for street or track,

(i'm not planning on buying anything) Just had a discussion with a few mates about it.

ausgeflippt951 04-17-2013 08:49 AM

:corn:

chrenan 04-17-2013 09:27 AM

Here's what I use for my street/track car:

Steering wheel - Momo mod 09
racing seat - Cobra Evolution (FIA)
racing harness - Scroth (FIA)
braded brake lines - DOT approved
wheels - 993 factory hollow spokes
Roll bar - Heigo club sport (TUV)

I've found Porsche guys are usually pretty good about using quality products, not knock-offs of questionable safety. The muscle car crowd (chain steering wheels) and tuner crowd (rota rims) are usually a little more suspect.

reno808 04-17-2013 09:47 AM

LMAO. lets try replica safety parts.....................

Seriously dont it.

User 52121 04-17-2013 11:32 AM

While I understand that the top-line safety equipment isn't cheap... there are affordable alternatives that are still FIA/DOT certified. (G-Force belts vs. Sparco, etc.)

Why someone would put their life at risk by using knock off "replica" stuff is beyond me.

LUCKY DAVE 04-17-2013 11:54 AM

Funny vid......but so true.
My take on safety gear in track cars is the same as my motorcycle safety gear.
I buy the best available anywhere regardless of cost, and always use/wear it, no exceptions.
"all the gear, all the time"

User 52121 04-17-2013 12:12 PM

As a longtime motorcyclist (and former racer)... you definitely have "diminishing returns" when it comes to cost vs. safety. Generally the less expensive stuff protects you just as well... what you get improvements with is comfort and extra features. A nicer liner, extra ventilation, a cooler design, lighter weight, etc.

Granted you generally can't go wrong buying "the most expensive" but you're not always being "more safe".

jg951 04-17-2013 12:21 PM

Good tread, Im still on the fence on what's best, a good quality aluminum seat like Kirkey or a FIA MOMO Start seat, My impression is that FIA seat don't need to be brace to a cage but aluminums seats do. Price are almost the same went you count seat cover and hardware.

docwyte 04-17-2013 01:06 PM

Recaro SPG XL seat with recaro sliders and side brackets. FIA
Schroth 6 point harnesses. FIA
HANS device. FIA.
Custom welded sub strap and inner lap belt harness mounts, with welded backing plates.
Custom welded rollbar, attaching to the structural steel of the car. Hanksville Hotrods
Sparco 5 layer suit. FIA
Momo Competition steering wheel with Momo hub
Quick release steering wheel hub

Do it the right way.

Penguinracer 04-17-2013 01:12 PM

Is a seat which is solely FIA-approved legal for use on a public road?

The fact that Recaro offer two versions of the Pole Position (ABE & FIA) would suggest this is the case.
The Pole Position ABE is advertised as a road legal non-FIA but TUV/ABE-approved seat for road vehicles. The Pole Position ABE has the harness holes adapted to suit three-point seat belts in addition to multi-point race harnesses.

I'd be interested to receive some clarification on this from anyone who knows for sure.

Other than than that I'd always go with top brands - anything else is just a false economy & with your neck on the line if you're on track - you don't want to have any confidence issues with your equipment.
Tim

Paulyy 04-17-2013 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by reno808 (Post 10392347)
LMAO. lets try replica safety parts.....................

Seriously dont it.
Fat guy bends fake Nardi steering wheel! - YouTube

LMAO yes that is what im talking about.

I think everyone here has the same opionon as me. Fake stuff is no good. not for the street and not for the track. especially safety stuff.

TexasRider 04-18-2013 02:05 AM

" Upon asking Peter Dawe if I should run the heavily shaved side wall on my left rear tire damaged in a "rubbing" incident prior to a Watkins Glen sprint race. Dawe:, "go ahead run it, there are plenty of drivers." :)

"I feel safe when I'm on the racetrack, I really do. I know that I'm surrounded by the best drivers in the world. That's
something you can't say when you're driving down the interstate."
(Sterling Marlin)

" I feel safer on a racetrack than I do on Houston's freeways."
(A. J. Foyt)

ausgeflippt951 04-18-2013 07:52 AM

OK I'll bite.

First, let me state that I'm basically in OmniGLHs camp: buy the real stuff, buy good stuff, but buying the absolute BEST is not always necessary. There really is a point of diminishing returns.

Unfortunately, the $$$ element really does play a role here. If we all said, "I'm only buying the BEST", you would only see brand new Porsches and Ferraris out there because only the ultra-wealthy would be driving. Middle income need not apply.

But we must be realistic: there is the human element as well. Does a decked-out rich guy make a better drover than a "poorer" fellow with mid-tier equipment? Hell no, and the rich guy is just as likely to put you into the wall.

Finally, consider the safety equation holistically. If I was truly adamant about guaranteeing my safety, I would:
A) not ride/race my motorcycles. Don't even bother.
B) drive the absolute slowest car possible with the most ridiculous, custom cage
C) don't ever drive on the highway. Out where I live, You're more likely to get pummeled by someone on the beltway or by an errant family of deer than you are by a fellow racer at the track. So have someone transport your car for you to and from the track, and then teleport there directly yourself. Better yet, just live at the track full time.
C) better yet just stop driving altogether.
D) don't ever leave the house.

In sum: I know what I said is a wee bit melodramatic. But you get the point: don't buy the knockoff crap, but no need for the budget racer to run the top stuff either, and above all else use yer head. But not as a ramming device.

Collin

odb812 04-18-2013 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Paulyy (Post 10392194)
What are you views on using replica brands vs original brands in products like
  • Steering wheels
  • racing seats
  • racing harness
  • braded brake lines (not adr/dot approved)
  • wheels

Either for street or track,

(i'm not planning on buying anything) Just had a discussion with a few mates about it.

Good discussion.

I think the first four things on that list have the potential to be dangerous when not manufactured or installed properly. Unless you have some insane car, I don't think cheap knockoff wheels have the potential to be dangerous. For a car that I am going to drive on the track I want to make sure that no aftermarket part, real or knock-off, is going to make the car more dangerous than stock.

From there you have options to pay more for branding, bling, and comfort. Branding and bling are not important, most of these things are consumables and you'll be replacing them within 5 years anyway. As far as comfort goes, the more physical interaction I have with it, the more likely I am to pay for comfort. I've used loaner helmets that didn't fit properly in the past and my times suffered because the helmet was taking my focus away from driving. So I'm more likely to pay more for a comfortable helmet or seat than anything else.

I've found most of the times someone has to ask these questions about a street driven car, the items in question are just going to make the car more dangerous and they're better off with stock parts.

Cyberpunky 04-18-2013 11:25 PM

ODB just wondering why you would consider most of these items consumables ? I understand seat belts but would have thought seats etc would be good for a lot longer than 5 years. Not having a go am just curious as I would have not looked at any of them as a consumables
peace
Cyberpunky