Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Turbo S at Laguna Seca – problems encountered

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:21 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by samana76
Thank you everybody for your great advice and comments and positive feedback. I truly appreciate it.
I apologize with everyone for not writing sooner. This past week has been quite frantic and I was not able to get back to thank everyone.

I value highly all the suggestions everyone has given and I will definitely upgrade the brake pads and brake fluid before my next track day. I will look into the rotors as well but first want to check if mine are in good condition.

This weekend I will also try to lean the fuel mixture a little bit as Joshua suggested - although it will be difficult to test the "pop" problem on the street, but I'll see.

I have one more question which is track related. I realized there really isn't a good location to hook the car up should I need to be towed on the track. Where would you guys suggest I install a tow hook so that it isn't to prominent as I use the car regularly on the street as well - so something that doesn't poke out too much or that can be attached and removed easily just for track days.

Ah, I was almost forgetting, some of you are amazed about the Laguna Seca sound restrictions. Indeed there is a coalition of people that unfortunately are trying to do whatever they can to basically shut down the track. One of the cards they are playing is the sound restriction. Basically they were able to lower the sound restriction to 90 db for most of the year. There are only about a dozen days throughout the year where the sound restriction is raised to 92 db. I have never exceeded the restriction except for that one time (which saved me from possibly going off at the end of the straight as I began slowing down before the hairpin turn right when my brakes faded) due, I believe, to the "pop". I will try to get that corrected and next time I go to the track I will request to have the sound measured.

Thank you all again.
Igor
They have had sound restrictions on that track since I was there back in 91
They use to have the sound meter going on the up hill to the back straight I guess the moved it
It seems a lot of tracks, that have outside residents, that want to put them out of business ... They were successful doing it in Bridgehampton, Long Island. So they could put another worthless golf course that nobody needs..... Rectums !!!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:21 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
They have had sound restrictions on that track since I was there back in 91
They use to have the sound meter going on the up hill to the back straight I guess the moved it
It seems a lot of tracks, that have outside residents, that want to put them out of business ... They were successful doing it in Bridgehampton, Long Island. So they could put another worthless golf course that nobody needs..... Rectums !!!
"Rectums"...I LOL'd. But sad and true
Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

We lost our track in Calgary too. It's now a garbage dump.

Too bad they won't build a sound barrier wall.....they probably want the land and that's their excuse.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

my hooker maxflow muffler popped like that sometimes.

but it mostly made a bunch of high frequency crackles.... especially before the engine fully warmed up.

damn nice sounds.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:27 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey I was here the same day with ya. You were definately hauling the mail in the straight aways. Point of reference silver 944, number 22. Believe it or not in the afternoon we were running 59s. We didnt have any issues with boiling the brake fluid. What fluid again. Also running the hawk pad and some old RA1 tires.

Just curious, did they give you heart burn over the pop being over the db?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:07 AM
joker2cv
Instructor

Originally Posted by jerome951
Oh, forgot to mention..

Make sure your rotors are on the correct side. The vanes are curved so that air flows from the center of the rotor outward. Reversing them backwards will cook them in no time. I've even seen professional shops put them on backward.
Could you put a picture of the correct orientation please?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:47 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by samana76
Thank you everybody for your great advice and comments and positive feedback. I truly appreciate it.
I apologize with everyone for not writing sooner. This past week has been quite frantic and I was not able to get back to thank everyone.

I value highly all the suggestions everyone has given and I will definitely upgrade the brake pads and brake fluid before my next track day. I will look into the rotors as well but first want to check if mine are in good condition.

This weekend I will also try to lean the fuel mixture a little bit as Joshua suggested - although it will be difficult to test the "pop" problem on the street, but I'll see.

I have one more question which is track related. I realized there really isn't a good location to hook the car up should I need to be towed on the track. Where would you guys suggest I install a tow hook so that it isn't to prominent as I use the car regularly on the street as well - so something that doesn't poke out too much or that can be attached and removed easily just for track days.

Ah, I was almost forgetting, some of you are amazed about the Laguna Seca sound restrictions. Indeed there is a coalition of people that unfortunately are trying to do whatever they can to basically shut down the track. One of the cards they are playing is the sound restriction. Basically they were able to lower the sound restriction to 90 db for most of the year. There are only about a dozen days throughout the year where the sound restriction is raised to 92 db. I have never exceeded the restriction except for that one time (which saved me from possibly going off at the end of the straight as I began slowing down before the hairpin turn right when my brakes faded) due, I believe, to the "pop". I will try to get that corrected and next time I go to the track I will request to have the sound measured.

Thank you all again.
Igor
How close are you (other than the "pop") to the 92db limit? Do they tell you at Laguna what readings they're getting from your car?

I'll be at Laguna in June and have no idea how loud my car is, db-wise. It's relatively quiet IMO, though. 3" no cat with 3" Magnaflow muffler...
Old 04-28-2014, 03:34 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

David Floyd - damn that was nice sound from your car. Just exactly what do you have for your exhaust system?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should be ok Jim. My car measured 97 Db at WOT at H2R, and that's with a muffler-less dumped downpipe and venting to atmosphere.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:32 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad I'm not the only one that had this happen. First track day I did there I lost the brakes at the top of the cork screw.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:36 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
You should be ok Jim. My car measured 97 Db at WOT at H2R, and that's with a muffler-less dumped downpipe and venting to atmosphere.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:33 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding tow hook - dig deep in your glove box you should have one (pictured below)...

Attachment 829325

Last edited by raleighBahn; 07-07-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, the disappearing brakes are scary. Here is my short list for solving the problem, listed in decreasing order of effect:
1. Aftermarket brake ducting (unfortunately the ones I got from OG Racing are no longer available)
2. New pads (the pad material acts as a thermal isolator/barrier, so the further away the fluid is from the heat source the better)
3. New high temperature fluid

Laust
Old 04-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Dont neex e85 to pop flames, just biger injectors rogue tune and turboback exhaust, few minths ago at night after driving hard on twisties i poped a huge one, it was so loud i though my mufler blown to peaces, oh and the firebal i saw it in my rearview mirror, thats one if the smaller ones which go pop
Name:  ForumRunner_20140429_123051.png
Views: 265
Size:  519.6 KB

And this one goes whump
Name:  ForumRunner_20140429_123434.png
Views: 285
Size:  278.0 KB
Old 04-29-2014, 03:42 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

make a tip for the nuffler that faces the other way. A lot of RX owner do this. as they face this issue all the time.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo S at Laguna Seca – problems encountered