Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pls advise: how best to spend $5k in 951 repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Mark Radcliffe
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great feedback, guys, this all really helps.

As for the engine suggestions from 'Robstah,' all of that stuff should be good. Belt is I think 2-3 yrs old, and all fluids were done in last year or two. Electrical is a bit spotty, I admit. The Vitesse turbo is normally good for 17 lbs of boost, but lately has been only 15. Not sure if the timing settings got accidentally messed up, or what.

Yes, will start w/ brakes & suspension.

But first thing will be check compression, esp the #2 bearing, which I guess my dad says notoriously fails? If it's bad, he says to walk away.

But yes, to address 'rcarpen22,' I kind of think that this car's color combo (Titanium silver on burgundy leather) is the best combo I've ever seen on a 951 (no offense to other combos!), though red on black leather is def sexier. And the fuchs are just classic, although I can't even find good rubber on 16's any more (No Michelin SP's in that size). So yes, hard to let it go. But maybe if one of you kind souls out there convinces me you'd be a proper caretaker for her, I could be open to parting ways...
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was working a job that required me to travel all the time, so I didn't have time to work on my car. The clutch fork actually broke, so the clutch wouldn't engage (even though the clutch itself was ok. I took it to my favorite local shop to have the clutch replaced. While they were in there, they pulled the pan and replaced the rod bearings, put a new pan gasket on, and fixed some electrical gremlins I had. All of that was less than $5000 including the parts. Even if the #2 rod bearing is bad, I stick to my position:-) But if you do sell it, make sure it goes to a good home.
PS, after finally passing safety inspection (for silly stuff) I am now once again using the turbo as my daily driver. These are great cars and very practical if not modded too heavily. FWIW, I took my MAF off and just went back to the stock AFM and airbox. Better gas mileage and drivability for me without too much noticeable loss of power. I'm old though, so I don't drive too crazy on the street anymore.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Mark Radcliffe
4th Gear

It's not a daily driver for me, as I work in the city and just take subways (much quicker, easier). I basically use it on weekends to get out of the city, trips to Long Island, upstate NY, VT, and family in Boston & Maine. I'll be driving it all over New England for June, though, and that alone is worth $1-2k for me in enjoyment and saved car rental costs.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pursuant to what I mentioned earlier, it might be worth trying to find a well-regarded independent mechanic who will let you supply parts now and then. As an example, Porsche axles are around $400 apiece if memory serves. VW equivalents from their van are considerably cheaper, and there's a thread here on Rennlist about which part works.

There are dozens of other examples, and a few excellent aftermarket suppliers, even of maintenance items (engine bay fuel lines, for example).

One other note: if this is to be your only car, or a winter car, I wouldn't recommend it as highly. If not, go for it!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rcarpen22
I was working a job that required me to travel all the time, so I didn't have time to work on my car. The clutch fork actually broke, so the clutch wouldn't engage (even though the clutch itself was ok. I took it to my favorite local shop to have the clutch replaced. While they were in there, they pulled the pan and replaced the rod bearings, put a new pan gasket on, and fixed some electrical gremlins I had. All of that was less than $5000 including the parts. Even if the #2 rod bearing is bad, I stick to my position:-) But if you do sell it, make sure it goes to a good home.
PS, after finally passing safety inspection (for silly stuff) I am now once again using the turbo as my daily driver. These are great cars and very practical if not modded too heavily. FWIW, I took my MAF off and just went back to the stock AFM and airbox. Better gas mileage and drivability for me without too much noticeable loss of power. I'm old though, so I don't drive too crazy on the street anymore.
You get better mileage with your airbox?? What MAF were you running? Huntley?...
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

A spare 951
Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

Not to hijack, but regarding the MAF, I don't really remember what it was. Could have been Huntley. It was definitely earlier than Vitesse. It's been years since I took it off.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

You can send it to me as I need all the help I can get.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM
porchfly80
Banned

Thanks for the Formula Motorsports endorcement Bob!

Quick Reply: Pls advise: how best to spend $5k in 951 repairs?