Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Which cylinders runs hottest/leanest and/or coolest/richest in a 951..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:01 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Stuff...

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Interesting thoughts/observations Michael.

So did you customise the thermostat?

Have you tried larger headstuds and if so what torque changes, if any, did you make?

ps...be very interested in your take on another thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ad-design.html
I didn't customize the thermostat, I removed it and blocked the passage from the head back to the water pump. This solved my problem, but warm-up became an important issue. I'm not endorsing this mod for that reason, and don't know if the thermostat closing issue on the track occurs elsewhere with the 944's. It's something to keep in mind, though.

Head studs: The biggest struggle is trying to seal the cylinder with only 4 studs around each hole. I believe the best approach to a good head gasket seal is good tuning and heat management. Repeat: good tuning and heat management. (Why is this idiot repeating that???) The heavier studs are a necessary band aid for when things go momentary awry, like turbo engines often do. Larger studs are a big job, and I don't think necessary. I also don't think much of the aftermarket ones (although I wish I were in that business) because I'm not at all convinced they properly address clamping force. Call them and ask the right questions and you'll agree. I had some studs made to spec by an F1 shop and then tested clamping force and resulting cylinder distortion (!). I was ultimately able to get the additional clamp I was looking for without distorting the cylinder. This was done with the stock diameter stud; but with better material.

Oh, the cylinder head design thread is a good one. There's lots of power in the head, and lots of voodoo. I'll try to go over there (the other thread) shortly.

Quick Reply: Which cylinders runs hottest/leanest and/or coolest/richest in a 951..?