Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacement Carpets for those who have

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Carpets for those who have

I am in the process of looking for a replacement carpet kit and have looked at the kits from several vendors with widely ranging prices and carpet options. I wanted to see if anyone has used the kit from Trim Parts.

They are licensed by GM for Reproduction carpet kits. They claim that their 944 carpet kit is actually taken from a mold of the floor pan and the kit is molded to fit the floor, not just a bunch of flat carpet pieces cut to match.

My carpets are not in bad shape at all, but do have a bit of fade in some areas. With the original seats it does not matter, but my wife got me full leather upholstery for front and rear for Christmas and I am working with another vendor on leather dash cover and purchased enough matching vinyl and leather to recover my door cards, center console and other miscellaneous items. Once these are done, I am afraid the carpet will.show its age. BTW my interior is Burgundy so finding a perfect used set is impossible. I have been watching for a couple of years here and on ebay. I did purchase a very nice set several years ago, but there is still very minor fading.

If you have used a kit from trim parts or any other vendor please provide me with pros and cons and post photos if you have them. Thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked into redying the carpet you now have in the car? Detailers do this all the time in newer cars. The dye can be color matched to a section not faded. I watched a you tube on how to do it and seemed not all that hard to accomplish.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

With what it sounds like you want to do, I would recommend working with someone that can color match the carpet using SEM paints and use your original carpet. Otherwise, I would suggest you go with the Burgandy silverknit from 928leather.com. They have it in the burgandy.

http://www.928leather.com/carpet/sli...forporsche.htm

The molded carpet from Trim Parts is one piece and I would bet is a nightmare to install correctly. Additionally, it is cut pile. Not the same as the OEM silverknit. Considering everything else you are doing, I think you would be happier with refurbishing your original, or paying for quality replacement carpet.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 PM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Dying is really not an option. I can't explain what I am seeing when I tried to dye part of it other than to say it looses a dimension of color. I have dye matched to the color, but like I said I makes it almost a flat taking away the shimmer.

The 944 did not use sliverknit, it used feintuft, not sure on spelling. The 944 carpets are cut pile. I have samples of sliverknit and feintuft from world upholstery, and have samples from trim parts on their standard and Essex in maroon. They are just a little too light. I have requested a sample of oxblood which I think will be a better match.

Here is a message I received from trim parts. They use a stock photo that shows a 1 piece carpet, but they say it is multiple pieces like factory.

"The Porsche kit comes with a front, rear, deck and wheel mold. The entire kit includes 7.5 yards of material. I do not have images that show the exact shapes of each piece; however they are made directly off of the original design. There is padding in every location that it came with originally, however we do not use the same backing. We use our standard jute backing."
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

BTW, if I don't find a near perfect match, I will clean up the extra set of carpet I have in my shop and reuse it. I will also be adding sound deading to the floors, rear 1/4, doors and firewall. If I can add it to the roof, I will while the sunroof is being replaced.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand the problem with burgundy. I had a perfect burgundy interior in one, and matching factory floor mats. It was very different from the other colours, and as you said, it did have a kind of shimmer that I'm certain you couldn't match with dye.

I used a vendor's basic black carpet kit on another car, and I found it a little frustrating to get a high standard of fit.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and the kit is molded to fit the floor, not just a bunch of flat carpet pieces cut to match.
I kinda wonder about this as all of the kits I've seen have been flat pieces. Evidently, Porsche first started going with molded carpet with the 944 (neither my 83 928 or 77 911 have molded carpet - just flat pieces).
Molded is better but, but in a small way this is bad because the simple flat pieces are surprisingly easy to replace - even from scratch... example:

...Bruce
Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Perhaps i am missing somthing, for which i apologise on forehand, but mats are "flat".
Originals have butterfly type fasteners on the floor just in front of the seats, anything else comes without.
The floor carpet untherneath the mats is a different ballgame, but you would want that from a scrapped car or would want that have custom made.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hans
Perhaps i am missing somthing, for which i apologise on forehand, but mats are "flat".
Originals have butterfly type fasteners on the floor just in front of the seats, anything else comes without.
The floor carpet untherneath the mats is a different ballgame, but you would want that from a scrapped car or would want that have custom made.
The topic is Complete carpet replacement.

I am still working through this, and will update when and if I Purchase a replacement kit.

Quick Reply: Replacement Carpets for those who have