Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 05:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Fantastic results Shawn! Especially the curve not dropping off is very impressive. I'm wondering if your high rate of exhaust cfm isn't a major contributor. Surprised you didn't get some wheel spin on the dyno. What type of dyno is that?

Be careful on the road when that boost kicks in. Especially in less than optimal conditions.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Shawn, that is impressive! Must be a fun driver. Great work on everything!
Old 03-20-2015, 09:28 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Great numbers Shawn! Got any plots with boost on it?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:59 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Should put the graphs new and old together to see how much the cam changes it.
Also changed the head and a few others things.

Originally Posted by fejjj
Congrats on your progress and numbers Shawn!

I am curious as to how you guys maintain traction with this much HP/TQ.

My car makes 330RWHP 340TQ and I spin here and there.
Traction is a issue, first run I did a burnout on the dyno , had to drop quite a bit of tire pressure and then it was fine.

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Congrats Shawn !!!
Mighty numbers
Weird ... I posed a a while ago and it never showed up ??
Regards
Ed
Thanks Eddie!

Originally Posted by mtnman82
+1 - Congratulations Shawn!!! Truly impressive on many fronts - especially the overall results and being done with your personal garage grown stuff. Outstanding!!!
Appreciate the compliment and it is very rewarding!

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Holy......

Awesome Shawn. Just awesome.

And crazy watching the vid... how hard it comes on... that thing's gotta be a blast. I need to make my way down to ATL one of these days for a ride.
Thanks Jim! The car is so fun to drive, very addictive.

Originally Posted by Will Feather
Awesome results! Congrats!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Duke
Congrats! Beast be a total beast on the road!
Thanks Gustaf! Really looking forward to following your progress this season!

Originally Posted by gregeast
Great work Shawn, we are collectively in awe and grateful for the work you've gone to to document your build(s).
Thanks Greg! Hopefully we can keep pushing the platform we love forward.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:42 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Awesome congrads
Old 03-21-2015, 06:40 PM
tkgb
Track Day

That is some serious power you have in your car
The 160 lb injectors you are using with the M-tune what brand and type are they?
Old 03-21-2015, 07:12 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Fantastic results Shawn! Especially the curve not dropping off is very impressive. I'm wondering if your high rate of exhaust cfm isn't a major contributor. Surprised you didn't get some wheel spin on the dyno. What type of dyno is that?

Be careful on the road when that boost kicks in. Especially in less than optimal conditions.
Thanks Patrick. I did have traction issues on the dyno, had to drop tire pressure and once things heated up a bit it was fine. The top end looks a lot like Corleone.

Originally Posted by Pauerman
Wow Shawn, that is impressive! Must be a fun driver. Great work on everything!
Thanks Vic!

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Great numbers Shawn! Got any plots with boost on it?
Thanks! It costs extra to plot boost on the chart and since I log it, I do not need it. On Thursday nights I can make 3 pulls for $50.

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Awesome congrads
Thanks!

Originally Posted by tkgb
That is some serious power you have in your car
The 160 lb injectors you are using with the M-tune what brand and type are they?
It is ridiculously fast! Injectors are Bosch 0280158827.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:24 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I saw that about your tyre pressure after I'd posted. Did you use your road tyres? Interesting that you had to wait to get heat into them. With track tyres it's all about them not overheating and turning to jelly on the dyno. Need to get some old street tyres for our next go around.

Yes, I'd remarked to Gustaf how yours was the closest to the fabled Corleone's curve. Great to see such positive results for you. Looks like it will keep pulling to at least 7000rpm. How much did your ign change with the new setup?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:52 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

I saw that about your tyre pressure after I'd posted. Did you use your road tyres? Interesting that you had to wait to get heat into them. With track tyres it's all about them not overheating and turning to jelly on the dyno. Need to get some old street tyres for our next go around.
Yes, 180 tread-wear tires. It was about 45F in the dyno bay so heating up the tires a bit does help.

Yes, I'd remarked to Gustaf how yours was the closest to the fabled Corleone's curve. Great to see such positive results for you. Looks like it will keep pulling to at least 7000rpm. How much did your ign change with the new setup?

I pulled a little timing. I considered pulling 4-5 degrees up top but compared to Corleone's numbers I was still pretty conservative (relatively speaking). As you can see below I was running about 35.5 degrees up top. No knock even at 24 psi.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:38 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

We could argue that the trade-off in low down torque might have altered off-boost performance, but it's the cost to pay to enjoy that supremely satisfying feeling of a quick-revving, freely-breathing engine up top that you started to experience with your short runner intake.
For a mainly road car there is IMO enough remaining torque off-boost to get you from A to B without the stress of getting a speed ticket.

Just a question though - do you monitor your exhaust temperature? Really curious how hot it gets now with the new camshaft, especially considering that you mentioned running it with 4° of advance.

To compare even more accurately your set up with Corleone's you might want to move to the 1.06 turbine housing now.

In any case, congrats for the great results
Old 03-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

No knock even at 24 psi.
This in itself is amazing !!!! Unreal
Old 03-22-2015, 09:18 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
We could argue that the trade-off in low down torque might have altered off-boost performance, but it's the cost to pay to enjoy that supremely satisfying feeling of a quick-revving, freely-breathing engine up top that you started to experience with your short runner intake.
For a mainly road car there is IMO enough remaining torque off-boost to get you from A to B without the stress of getting a speed ticket.

Just a question though - do you monitor your exhaust temperature? Really curious how hot it gets now with the new camshaft, especially considering that you mentioned running it with 4° of advance.

To compare even more accurately your set up with Corleone's you might want to move to the 1.06 turbine housing now.

In any case, congrats for the great results
Amazingly I lost very little bottom end torque. One nice thing about 95mm stroke is that I have plenty of low end torque.

No EGT. Really need to get that done.

Really only comparing the shape of the curve with Corleone. He was running higher compression also. I am running 8:1 CR which I believe is a major factor in the reliability of this motor thus far.

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
This in itself is amazing !!!! Unreal
Pretty amazing indeed! I monitor knock with both the Curtis knock counter and the Rogue Boost Controller. They track perfectly and in three 23+ psi pulls, no knock.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:00 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppose I should also publicly congratulate you here lol.

These engines just continue to impress. I'm gladitsworked outso well for everyone's benefit. You have really made strides by documenting the process.

Like we had talked about, you may think about the larger hotside.

I'm still completely happy with mine. I don't do the dyno stuff, but I'm glad you do.

Looking forward to what this year brings not only this build, but for all the others in progress. There will be some stellar power levels achieved I'm sure of it.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:59 PM
tkgb
Track Day

Do you use 1 Bosch 044 fuelpump or 2?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkgb
Do you use 1 Bosch 044 fuelpump or 2?
One 044 pump and it seems fine.