Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

best way to clean engine block and parts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe he had the stockers cleaned and replated.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Where do you get all those yellow bolts, new? I can't find them anywhere...
I sent all my hardware to LR and they returned them like that, but I am sure you can find a local plater somewhere to do the same thing. LR was just quick and easy. I later replaced them with a polished SS SHCS kit from some company in Georgia. I had a writeup about it way back when. Very nice kit by the way, would definately look good on CE's car!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Eddie. I have stated before that I will be buried in mine also......maybe we should buy adjacent cemetery plots...might get a discount that way
Ya my sense of humour is a little off

Oh ya and engine clean with 3M-CC4 cable cleaner...works great and only costs a mere 130.00$ for a case of 4 one litre bottles

Thanks Guys very much

Hey Scott,
I had it for over 24 years ... I probably will be buried in that car
[/QUOTE]

LOL I love your powercoated car !!
Humm I have never hear of the solvent

Scott is correct I plated all the stock bolts (I am kinda nuts about sticking with the stock stuff as much as possible).No pun intended
It's hard to tell, but every single nut, bolt, washer, bracket ...etc (Everything) was .. first cleaned, then wheeled and then polished, before it was plated ...

Originally Posted by Scott H
I believe he had the stockers cleaned and replated.
Right you are...
Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I sent all my hardware to LR and they returned them like that, but I am sure you can find a local plater somewhere to do the same thing. LR was just quick and easy. I later replaced them with a polished SS SHCS kit from some company in Georgia. I had a writeup about it way back when. Very nice kit by the way, would definately look good on CE's car!
There is a local place(at least for us) that I have posted many times before, that I was very impressed with. In fact so impressed, I must have done at least 6 plating runs (it's called 4 D metal refinishing. Great people, both Matt and his dad Pete are just very good honest people. Here is the info for those who are interested (no affliation )
Four-D Metal Finishing Incorporated
(408) 730-5722
620 E Taylor Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94085
fourdmetal.com
Best regards
Ed
Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get new yellow zinc hardware from fastener distributors. I got all of mine through Fastenal.
Depending on how much hardware you have/need, it may be cost beneficial to have the original parts replated.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
You can get new yellow zinc hardware from fastener distributors. I got all of mine through Fastenal.
Depending on how much hardware you have/need, it may be cost beneficial to have the original parts replated.
Ditto
Although, some bolts are near impossible to get (those are the ones that are like 37 mm or 62mm etc) That's not to say you can't trim them and then get them plated .. Some of those engine bracket mount bracket bolts were like 10 bucks each from Porsche (and the was from Sunset! ) Also, there is a place on the East Coast called Belmetric, and they are pretty good, and have a lot of yellow zinc. There are a lot of others, but they can get pretty expensive because they are selling in ones and twos ...
I was kinda hung up on having the same stock names on the heads of the bolts, hence I used the orig bolts
Sorry for all the hijacks on this thread Paulyy
Old 10-19-2012, 12:45 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did know you were in the Bay area, and did not know about the Sunnyvale platers. Thanks for info! I will come back to Fremont next year. Hope to see your car in person!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: best way to clean engine block and parts?