Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Harness Refurb Project

Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Engine Harness Refurb Project

Bought this harness from Josh B as a core for rebuild project. I cringe every time I move wires around in the engine bay. I plan to source as many new connectors as possible along with the necessary wire. Most likely I will use different wire colors with a cross reference chart. I also plan on adding a few things to allow clean mod integration. I plan on documenting the rebuild in this thread. Hope to have it ready by the spring.

Last edited by refresh951; 10-07-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought about doing this, but with the availability of the LR harnesses I decided to say screw it and just pony up the $$$. My hats off to you for trying this and thank you for documenting the process. Heck, may want to buy yourself a pegboard and write down all the details of lengths, guages, etc. and make a harness jig. Could make a nice side business refurbing peoples' harnesses if it doesn't eat away at your sanity.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 PM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is something i also want to do. Every time i move a wire i hear little crackles and snaps. Where are you getting your wire from?

There are a lot of different colors, do you plan on making them the same as the OEM colors?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 AM
AtharRazvi
Advanced

I was looking into doing this in the near future. What type/grade of wire were you going to get? I was looking into using MIL-W-22759/44. It's really pricey, but will probably last forever... Were you going to reuse your plugs, or get new ones and new pins. I'm interested in where you source these from.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the middle of the same project myself, although I haven't been able to work on it in quite a while. Here's a thread containing some of the details of my efforts: Crispy Harness.

I'm pretty far along, but I have a number of outstanding design decisions to make. I'm still trying to decide on the right gauge wires to use for the engine grounds and how to join them in the harness (the stock harness uses compression welds). After that's done I need to figure out how to feed the wires back through the snorkel, as the new wire bundle is considerably larger than stock.

I've taken a number of notes and pictures along the way which I'm happy to share if they can be helpful.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did this to my harness several years ago using all LR harnesses and replacing anything else that wasn't available with new stuff and thermal sleeved everything to match. It was probably the best thing I ever did for my car. I never have electrical issues and move things around without thought now. I cut out anything old and fished everything through the factory snorkel so it looks like it came that way new.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

All the AMP connectors are available at http://www.eagleday.com/ampconnectors.html

You can't get the diagnostic port, DME or KLR connector, a couple of the red and white connectors too. You can make do with some of the temp sensors, oil level, etc.

I loaned my brand new harness to a RL, who took it to a company that specializes in harnesses and it just isn't feasible for them to do and make a profit, of course, minus the connectors that are NLA. My new one stays inside the house, bottom of the linen closet!

A few years ago I called Sunset just to see if a new harness was available - there were three left in the Black Forrest @ $1250 ea.

Last edited by Ski; 10-08-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:27 AM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Subscribed. Let me know where you decide to purchase you wire from.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

and stumbled across this last night...sometimes but not many nights I have some time on my hands out in the GOM

http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/tech/harness.html
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Stripped down the harness and made a peg board. I really cannot justify replacing the majority or the wire as it is in really good shape. A few wires that have seen a lot of heat have brittle insulation and I will be replacing them but most look great. I will be replacing almost all of the connectors and boots. The harness insulation was stiff and brittle and definitely will be replaced. I think this stiff insulation along with stiff connector boots leads to most failures. I will be using braided flex sleeving purchased here:

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/ExpandableSleeving.php

Anyone know a place to purchase the Amp connectors at a better price than www.944online.com? They have a better price than Eagle Day.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Check with JohnKoaWood and see if he has any left over from the group buy.

I started to do what you are doing, but could not get some of the odd ball connectors apart without destroying them. Decided to tackle this job another day and bought a harness I though was in better shape. It needed a few new connectors too. Are you using the split covering or will you fish the wire through it?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cruise98
Check with JohnKoaWood and see if he has any left over from the group buy.

I started to do what you are doing, but could not get some of the odd ball connectors apart without destroying them. Decided to tackle this job another day and bought a harness I though was in better shape. It needed a few new connectors too. Are you using the split covering or will you fish the wire through it?
What was purchased in the group buy? I think JohnKoaWood has been MIA as of late.

Old covering will not be reused. Using woven sleeving as mentioned in an earlier post. The connectors I cannot get will be re-used.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Subscribed and looking forward to your results

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Harness Refurb Project