Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TEC3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Teddy952
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEC3 questions

I posted this in the electromotive forum and figured I would ask RL as well...
New TEC3 install in my 951. Thanks!

I believe I need an adapter to use my stock Bosch 3 terminal idle stabilizer valve. Id prefer to not use any ISV so what are my options using Wintec for running without an ISV?

The ISV is located under the intake manifold on these motors. Without the ISV I have room for placing the DFU's under the manifold. I plan on attaching the DFU's to a custom bracket that will also act as a heat shield insulating the DFU's from engine temperatures. I have read that the vibration from these 4 cylinder motors can effect the coils performance. Any opinions on having the DFU's residing on the engine?

I have a D-Style (PN 310-71340) TPS and having problems figuring out how to wire it. Anyone that has used this exact same TPS know what terminals the +5v, gnd and output connect to? I assume that all the D-style TPS's with the same part number are wired the same.

I was not planning on using a knock sensor. Recommended or not??

I look forward to your replies!
TED
Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Teddy952
Racer

I pasted a reply I got from the electromotive forums in case anyone is interested...

Vibration was a bigger issue in the days of the TEC2 when the ECU was built into the bottom of the coil pack. The DFUs are pretty tough and vibration won't really affect them.

There is nothing keeping you from using an ISV with a TEC3. If you still need a little help with idle control without the idle control valve, you can turn on idle control and use idle advance to use timing to adjust your idle speed to a certain extent. Beyond that, it would be just tuning in the fuel and timing tables to get a nice even idle when the engine is warmed up and getting the temperature base fuel and timing adjustments right for cold idle.

Running knock is never a bad idea. That said, running a knock sensor can make the car a little more user friendly for day to day use. Once the car is fully tuned, the only real use of knock control is to protect against bad gas. I've personally never gotten bad gas, but I don't know what your experience with it has been.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 AM
jg951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teddy952
My 951 is getting a TEC S in the up coming weeks. Wayne at verycoolparts.com is installing it, maybe he can help.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Teddy952
I pasted a reply I got from the electromotive forums in case anyone is interested...

Vibration was a bigger issue in the days of the TEC2 when the ECU was built into the bottom of the coil pack. The DFUs are pretty tough and vibration won't really affect them.

There is nothing keeping you from using an ISV with a TEC3. If you still need a little help with idle control without the idle control valve, you can turn on idle control and use idle advance to use timing to adjust your idle speed to a certain extent. Beyond that, it would be just tuning in the fuel and timing tables to get a nice even idle when the engine is warmed up and getting the temperature base fuel and timing adjustments right for cold idle.

Running knock is never a bad idea. That said, running a knock sensor can make the car a little more user friendly for day to day use. Once the car is fully tuned, the only real use of knock control is to protect against bad gas. I've personally never gotten bad gas, but I don't know what your experience with it has been.
I agree with the answers you got from the Electromotive forum, although I was not aware that it could control the Porsche ISV.

I have had the coil pack for TEC-3 in the “V” of my Jalpa engine for 7 years without problems.
http://www.400gt.com/vlg/jalpa4/P9200427.JPG

The TPS is just a simple potentiometer. Go to “TEC-3 Manual” Page 123 for the TPS wiring details. http://www.electromotive-inc.com/pdf_files/tec3.pdf

Laust
Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Teddy952
Racer

Laust --
Its good to know that the DFUs lasted that long in/on your Jalpa. Hopefully Ill get the same results.

I wanted to confirm that the TEC3 will work without any ISV and still maintain a smooth idle. I would have to purchase a stepper motor to get the TEC3 to work with the Bosch 3 terminal ISV.

I think I have the TPS wiring figured out.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: TEC3 questions