Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hose burst, Lost water, Engine over heated badly..

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hose burst, Lost water, Engine over heated badly..

Driving home from a car meet, a coolant hose (the one that comes from the tube above the headers into the firewall) dumping the water out. i stopped at the nearest servo and filled up with water and had to drive 10 min home. in the 2 min it dumped all the water again, temp gauge on red. and around 1-2 min from home oil pressure dropped from 5 bar to 3 bar and loss of power.

We repaired the hose when i got back so it doesn't leak now.

Now each time i start it, it struggles to idle (sounds like it's stumbling) then it idles fine.

pulled the spark plugs, all black. compression tested it

last year while changing turbo:
1- 154
2- 145
3- 150
3- 145

Todays results

1- 125
2- 125
3- 125
4- 140

(both cold throttle open)

After i did that i opened the expansion tank and the water just exploded out (a lot of pressure in there)

so i get a pressure tester and put 18 psi in the cooling system and all i found was 1 old gasket leaking very slightly and a fitting from the turbo.

My theory so far is i've done the head gasket. Or if damaged the head and/or block. My dad doesn't think I've damaged anything but can't be to sure of that yet.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

damn that sucks man. hope its just the head gasket
Old 09-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When it stumbles after start, immediately shut off and pull the plugs out. If they are wet, the headgasket is toast. You can also pull the plugs and look down in the cylinders, might see coolant pooling on top of the pistons.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Probably HG. Use the hose from the compression tester and hook it to 100 psi of air pressure and watch for bubbles while goign through the fireing order.

It's weird that the compression is down on all cylinders.

I've overheated these engines in the past and they seem pretty resilient (non sleeved type)
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
damn that sucks man. hope its just the head gasket
me to!

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
When it stumbles after start, immediately shut off and pull the plugs out. If they are wet, the headgasket is toast. You can also pull the plugs and look down in the cylinders, might see coolant pooling on top of the pistons.
well when i turned it on i didn't really let it idle i just turned it off. when i pulled the plugs they're all the same. black... didn't see much moisture, it was sooty.
I shined the torch down there, but didn't see much i'll have another peak again.

Originally Posted by blown 944
Probably HG. Use the hose from the compression tester and hook it to 100 psi of air pressure and watch for bubbles while goign through the fireing order.

It's weird that the compression is down on all cylinders.

I've overheated these engines in the past and they seem pretty resilient (non sleeved type)
good idea. i've just adapted that to my compressor. about to do it.

I'm hoping it's nothing bad just the HG. i can deal with a cracked piston or something but doubt it's that. if the head is finished. easily replaceable.. but the block, well theres many options but to find one is a problem.

Originally Posted by robstah
I'm leaning towards something warping or cracking.
I'm hoping not!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My bet is on the block being the issue. Head gasket I would expect greater variation between cylinders since one section on a single cylinder typically fails. Should see one very low reading and the remaining more normal.

Uniform overheating of the entire block can lead to ring wear/cylinder scoring and the lower figures you are seeing in multiple cylinders. Blown head gasket shouldn't drop oil pressure. Needs a leakdown test. I wouldn't run it without dropping the oil pan and checking bearings especially with the described drop in oil pressure.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s14kev
My bet is on the block being the issue. Head gasket I would expect greater variation between cylinders since one section on a single cylinder typically fails. Should see one very low reading and the remaining more normal.

Uniform overheating of the entire block can lead to ring wear/cylinder scoring and the lower figures you are seeing in multiple cylinders. Blown head gasket shouldn't drop oil pressure. Needs a leakdown test. I wouldn't run it without dropping the oil pan and checking bearings especially with the described drop in oil pressure.
Well the day after when i started it, it gained normal oil pressure back to 5+ bar.

So i tested cylinders 1 3 & 2. cylinder 1, the air just disappeared through the piston.. scored wall maybe?

cylinder 3 i had water poring out of the expansion tank.

Cylinder 2 blows out water also

number 4 i didn't bother with.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Time for some head work...
Old 09-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Time for some head work...
to look at it 1 way. The engine will be coming out as i need to change the oil pan gasket & clutch. which will happen in december so it's a few months.

So far i'm looking at these options:

if it's only the head gasket.. pistons & walls look good, i'll just do a bit of head work, possibly camshaft & custom intake.

If the HG is finished, cylinder walls are scored, i'll overbore 100.5mm or 101mm and get new pistons & rods. + above.

If the block is damaged (hope not) i'll go and build a 3L as a might as well and put my gtx3076r on it and either get the same standalone as yours if josh (rogue) cannot do a 3L map.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Sorry to hear about the coolant/overheating.

3L map is no problem - and with the direct-tuning setup, there is near stand-alone tuning capability for the owner!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Sorry to hear about the coolant/overheating.

3L map is no problem - and with the direct-tuning setup, there is near stand-alone tuning capability for the owner!
I'm just taking it on the chin i guess.

PM coming your way josh!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by MooreBoost

hope its just the head gasket

damn.

i know it's water under the bridge, but hot is bad.

2 km from the house or 200 m should never influence what we do.

when a hose blows, that's zero coolant pressure.

gotta shut 'er off and limp home.

i always keep a half used up, creased roll of duct tape in the backpack with my cleaning products.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:35 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear paully that sucks. I got lucky when i blew my head gasket at the track. They seem to take the abuse. Maybe the gasket was already on the way out. Take the head off and get it done. I did mine in the middle of field with basic tools in a day. Drove the car back home 400miles. I actually drove it for a year before i decide to upgrade everything.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:12 PM
blown 944
Race Car

If it is just the HG, I'd highly recommend using arp studs and a cometic gasket.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:00 PM
tman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
If it is just the HG, I'd highly recommend using arp studs and a cometic gasket.
+1, they have been good to me.

Quick Reply: Hose burst, Lost water, Engine over heated badly..