Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What is the best way to connect a dual port wastegate to EBC solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What is the best way to connect a dual port wastegate to EBC solenoid?

My EBC (E-boost street) lists two options.

Option one has both ports of the WG connected to the solenoid. Will this not make the WG spring very stiff?

Option two has the back-pressure port of the WG venting to atmosphere and the
third port of the solenoid venting to atmosphere (back to the J-boot?) I'm thinking the WG may open prematurely due to high exhaust back-pressure.

A third option may be to install a MBC on the back-pressure port of the WG and vent that to atmosphere. That will allow me to adjust the spring pressure to prevent early opening of the WG due to exhaust back pressure, but would it not make the setup much harder to tune and more susceptible to atmospheric and altitude changes?

Which one should I go for?

Last edited by bebbetufs; 08-23-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:36 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Surely someone has a dual port WG controlled by an EBC?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 AM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with this method from the E Boost manual, seems to be the standard method with other controllers. Make sure the 2 solenoid ports used are Closed with no volts applied.

NOTE: plumbing is shown for Tial type Wastegate - for other types the top & bottom port are reversed - the solenoid connects to the bottom port not the top port.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
Option one has both ports of the WG connected to the solenoid. Will this not make the WG spring very stiff?
With the solenoid duty cycle set at 0% you should reach the wastegate spring pressure.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyoman
Go with this method from the E Boost manual, seems to be the standard method with other controllers. Make sure the 2 solenoid ports used are Closed with no volts applied.

NOTE: plumbing is shown for Tial type Wastegate - for other types the top & bottom port are reversed - the solenoid connects to the bottom port not the top port.
this is the way i first had it. then i changed it to single port mode and it's exactly the same at the moment.

IF you want wastegate spring pressure, set the SP:0 GP:0 so the solenoid stays open all the time.

to tune it you change the SP value untill you hit the boost pressure you want to achieve. then you set the GP to hold the wastegate closed to sharpen the boost curve.
(this is where i've stared to have some issues with overboosting in different gears)
Old 08-27-2012, 01:39 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I think I'll go for the single port mode for starters. It just seems safer.
@Pauly. Which gear did you use as base gear when tuning the boost settings?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyoman

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
Thanks guys. I think I'll go for the single port mode for starters. It just seems safer.
@Pauly. Which gear did you use as base gear when tuning the boost settings?
i used 3rd.
my SP value is 49 and get around 17-18 psi
my GP was 15 psi, then it kept over shooting n 2nd gear so it's all the way down to 12 psi and i cannot figure out why it's doing it.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:51 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

I'll let you know how I' doing when i get going. Now if I could only find a fitting for the balance shaft oil feed that will fit under the stupid v-band outlet on my turbonetics.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really hate those new solenoids. When they first came out, I wanted to toss them all in the trash. I was spoiled by the LARGE solenoids used by the old boost controllers that just simply did what they were told. Accurately, every time. I had a problem keeping accurate and consistent boost will all those new ones and never bought another one after about 5 installs.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

So are you running a MBC then?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:03 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a duel port on mine with an EBC if you need any help pm me its pretty simple i can give you my settings as a bace line and you can go from there
Old 08-29-2012, 05:35 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

That sounds great if you don't mind. You can pm them to me.

I recently begun wondering if the stock waste gate valve is capable of bleeding off enough boost too avoid spikes and fluctuations when using bigger turbos and better flowing exhaust. Is there a consensus on what boost level the stock WG body is capable of maintaining?

Quick Reply: What is the best way to connect a dual port wastegate to EBC solenoid?