Old 09-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
It is indeed hard to beat the logic behind the LS-engine. But logic also tells me I should have gotten a 996 Cup instead and have more spare time and more money to spend elsewhere. Damn it, damn that logic to hell!

Side note. Cost and reliability aside, a 3.0l 16v turbo engine is fantastic to drive and beats pretty much any LS engine except a high end worked machine. (Comparing torque at 2500 rpm is just meaningless for a track car.)
If you buy a Cup Car then you would just be another Cup Car driver....nothing interesting in that, anybody with a checkbook can be a Cup Car driver.

If you carry out that logic to its logical end the answer is a Formula Ford (same lap times as 996 cup car) or a Formula Atlantic (15 seconds a lap faster at WGI). Used FF - $10-20K with a full set of spares. Upkeep is very inexpensive.

so, clearly we are not driven by 'logic'....
Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
But the Porsche engine is lighter and can move the CG of the engine back behind the front axle. So it gets the nod for handling.
you've come this far...12" wheelbase stretch!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Damn your logic, damn it to hell!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That's great except for the small detail that the engines need to be rebuilt ever 30 hours (which is about one full season of track time). The cost: $22k USD if you don't blow it up/badly over rev it.

You have no ideal how many friends I have that go through this every year.

And... don't forget about the sequential trans. That too gets serviced to a tune of close to $15k every season and a half +/- depending on how you shift.

And.... last but not least... racing fuel at $10/gal (vs $4/gal for pump), there's another $4000/year in fuel costs.

So say... an additional $40k per year to run the Cup Car over what I've built... which is... btw... why I built my car in the first place :-)

There are several tracks that have slow turns where I come out of the corner at 3000rpms (in order to stay out of 2nd gear). This is what gives me that advantage over a Cup Car with a sequential box and the only thing that saves me. They have to shift... I don't.

If I had a regular H pattern trans and had to shift, they would kill me just in the time it take to shift.

Once I put in a 496 LS7 with over 500ft/lbs at 3000rpms... it's gonna be bad news for them when I pull out of the turn at 3000rpms and pull to over 7000rpms w/o shifting.

TonyG
I know a few people with cup cars and the 30 hours maintenance is highly overrated. I haven't heard of anyone doing it in the more grassroots series. But yes, the 997's with seq boxes increase the maintenance costs a lot.
In Europe the Cup cars are running on regular fuel, seems odd that you run on race fuel in the US given the engine is very close to the street engine.

So yes, to run the Cup cars in official race trim and recommended maintenance it's very costly. But I think it's safe to say that it is not necessary for the average joe the same way as I don't send my Öhlins shocks for a yearly $800 service, run race fuel in my car or buy $3k worth of new slicks for each event. Would be nice though
Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a few people with cup cars and the 30 hours maintenance is highly overrated. I haven't heard of anyone doing it in the more grassroots series. But yes, the 997's with seq boxes increase the maintenance costs a lot.
In Europe the Cup cars are running on regular fuel, seems odd that you run on race fuel in the US given the engine is very close to the street engine.

So yes, to run the Cup cars in official race trim and recommended maintenance it's very costly. But I think it's safe to say that it is not necessary for the average joe the same way as I don't send my Öhlins shocks for a yearly $800 service, run race fuel in my car or buy $3k worth of new slicks for each event. Would be nice though
Concerning the fuel: I think they have 98 pump gas in Europe. In California it's only 91. And it burns more like 89. If that's the case, they the Cup engines could easily be tuned for that. Makes sense.

Tires: If you're not running a new set of Michelin's each weekend, you're not ever going to win a race. Not in the classes I race in. Not unless the top 10 cars crash or blow up.

With respect to service times: I know quite a few people that have paid a big price for not sticking to the service schedule. And I know quite a few people that have not and have gotten away with it. But for those who didn't get lucky .... not good $$$

I'm sitting in Vision Motorsports as I write this and there are a stack of Cup engines getting serviced in the engine room. Glad none of them are mine :-)

On the other side of the equation... the reason I'm at Vision Motorsports now is because the GM engine shop (RPM Motors) pulled the pan to service the main and rod bearings after 2 1/2 seasons of track time. So since they are pulling the oil pan, I took the oil pan to Vision to get a couple of bungs welded in it.

Anyway... the GM engine shop called and said there's no need to replace the main or rod bearings.. The rod and main bearings look brand new. They told me not to replace them. So with that, and the leak down between 1%-3%, the only thing to replace are the valve springs.

That would never be the case with a Cup motor with that kind of time on it.

Total service cost after 2 1/2 seasons of racing: <$750 ish

TonyG
Old 09-13-2013, 05:21 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
you've come this far...12" wheelbase stretch!
No... but I seriously thought about shortening the torque tube, cutting the firewall, and moving the engine back another 6".

The only reason I didn't is because there are some classes where the firewall can't be altered.

TonyG
Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
If you buy a Cup Car then you would just be another Cup Car driver....nothing interesting in that, anybody with a checkbook can be a Cup Car driver.

If you carry out that logic to its logical end the answer is a Formula Ford (same lap times as 996 cup car) or a Formula Atlantic (15 seconds a lap faster at WGI). Used FF - $10-20K with a full set of spares. Upkeep is very inexpensive.

Keep going along that path to Super Kart. Wish I'd just started and stayed with these!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:44 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Chris White
Exactly.

The only problem is that it's open wheel.

TonyG
Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Concerning the fuel: I think they have 98 pump gas in Europe. In California it's only 91.
98(RON), which is pretty much 93(AKI) here in the U.S.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:17 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

You guys don't have Chevron 94 in California? Just 91???
Old 09-13-2013, 10:41 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by gruhsy
You guys don't have Chevron 94 in California? Just 91???
For the most part... it's 91. And it's a special blend unique to California.

It is horrible.

FYI.... There's no way you're going to be running a 2014 Cup Car on pump gas. It's got 12.9:1 compression ratio.

TonyG
Old 09-13-2013, 10:45 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Well.. per Porsche... at least for the 2013 model (in fact for every 997 model I can find that info on....), it's setup from the factory to unleaded 98 octane.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGE&cad=rja

TonyG
Old 09-13-2013, 11:44 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

6 years from last tuesday
Old 09-13-2013, 11:53 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

2265lbs dry without driver.

200lbs more on the front axle than the rear. And that ratio will change once there are fluids in the car. Especially fuel.

TonyG

Originally Posted by Raymond699
congrats.

estimate of weight when done ?

Oakley Sunglasses

Old 09-14-2013, 12:39 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

How much do you allow for fluids? That's very light with all the additions you've made.

Quick Reply: TonyG > New Race Car Build Thread