TonyG > New Race Car Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:55 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Tony, congrats my friend that's almost as much power as a 3.1L 4cyl Stroker engine, not bad for a engine with extra 4Liters and 4cyl, Haha just joking Tony awesome work looking forward to see the car in person at Willow.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:35 AM
kniners
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truly hope this engine allows you to enjoy your ride.

Your work on these chassis has been my inspiration for years. Thanks for sharing.!

What does the car weigh now? Sorry if I missed the post somewhere.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:01 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been a while since I've posted any updates. So here goes...

Been dealing with weak CV joints and stock 944 transmissions, which have proven to be weak, and geared incorrectly respectively.

That said, I ordered an Albins sequential pneumatic paddle shift transmission with all the goodies. Waiting on parts still.

In the mean time, the car has been running good. And have been racing it a lot.

Last weekend at WSIR, did an official 1:21.3 on used tires. Won pole, and the the first race. Took a 2nd in the second race (see video below). Broke the clutch bell housing in 2 pieces in the 3rd race... which is probably why the car shifted poorly in the 2nd race... which you can see at the start where I got the jump, but the car wouldn't go into 4th gear.... nice. I couldn't shift it fast the entire race.

What I can say... is that once the sequential trans is in... the reliability goes up exponentially, and the car will probably drop close to 2 seconds per lap due to the no-lift shift, the automatic rpm matched down shifting, and having gearing that takes advantage of the engines optimal power band. (sucks coming out of corners at 4000rpms... or less depending on the track).

What else... took out the Cool Suit system and purchased a KoolBox IV a/c electric a/c system, the dry sump works perfectly, went to 997 RSR rear suspension uprights, and a few more other small things.

Here's a video of last weekend. 35 cars in the field, 7 in GT1 (my class). I took 2nd in this race (won the first race).

TonyG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lijWSThbmaQ"]Tony Garcia - POC RedRace #2 Feb5, 2016 WSIR - YouTube
Old 02-08-2016, 10:08 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Good to see you have gotten the car on the track with great results, congrats. Did the blue Porsche have working brake lights?
Also which version of the Albins Transaxle are you going with? The sequential box will be faster. Will it be with a manual shift linkage or will you have paddles?

Out of curiosity which bell housing did you have on your car?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:59 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Just looking at the video. I don't know that you'll get 2 secs on that track. You hardly need to do any gearchanges at the moment. On a track with a lot more gearchanges then the advantage will multiply. Even more for a turbo motor...like that 911 has!
Old 02-09-2016, 12:21 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by dand86951
Good to see you have gotten the car on the track with great results, congrats. Did the blue Porsche have working brake lights?
Also which version of the Albins Transaxle are you going with? The sequential box will be faster. Will it be with a manual shift linkage or will you have paddles?

Out of curiosity which bell housing did you have on your car?
1. No, the blue 911 didn't have working brake lights

2. Albins ST6-M with LSD

3. Geartronics pneumatic paddle shift with full ECU control, throttle blipper with rpm matched stacked downshifting, and even full automatic up and/or down shift if desired. http://www.geartronics.co.uk/paddleshift.htm

4. Stock GM C5 2 piece aluminum bell housing. Originally installed in my red car in 1997 ish

TonyG
Old 02-09-2016, 12:26 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Just looking at the video. I don't know that you'll get 2 secs on that track. You hardly need to do any gearchanges at the moment. On a track with a lot more gearchanges then the advantage will multiply. Even more for a turbo motor...like that 911 has!
The gearing of the S2 box is all off. The spread is too wide. I run that track in 3 gears.

If you look at the data logs, you'll see that on the high speed sections of the track, even a fast shifting results in a 3 mph drop in speed. Imaging 3 mph faster down a 1/2 mile straight on the front and a 1/3 mile straight down the back. That's a LOT of time. The sequential suffers no mph loss during shifting. Huge difference.

It's understood that on that track, a no-lift sequential is at least 1.5 seconds faster. I'll find out first hand very soon.

TonyG
Old 02-09-2016, 08:47 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Any idea how the gearing compares to the Rothmans Cup transaxle?

Originally Posted by TonyG
The gearing of the S2 box is all off. The spread is too wide. I run that track in 3 gears.

If you look at the data logs, you'll see that on the high speed sections of the track, even a fast shifting results in a 3 mph drop in speed. Imaging 3 mph faster down a 1/2 mile straight on the front and a 1/3 mile straight down the back. That's a LOT of time. The sequential suffers no mph loss during shifting. Huge difference.

It's understood that on that track, a no-lift sequential is at least 1.5 seconds faster. I'll find out first hand very soon.

TonyG
Old 02-09-2016, 10:49 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony, thanks for the update. I don't come here often anymore (life...so it goes) but I do tune in to get updates from both your thread and Patrick G's. I read both with relish and I absolutely love both your cars and the work you've done to them.

You (and others) have even inspired me to throw an LS2 into my 951 since having to pull the motor anyway.

I have to heckle though (it is the interwebs, after all): all this sex appeal and cutting edge engineering and you're STILL running Traqmate??? Dude. I hate to say it, but I've gotten to the point where I pretty much refuse to do engineering work for clients who are running Traqmate...too many problems and just nowhere near sophisticated enough. Hell, I don't really even care for Racepak. I pretty much just focus on AIM and Motec nowadays.

For some reason I had it in my head you're running Motec for engine management. It's not that much of an extension to just rely on Motec for the rest of your data acquisition.

Again, thanks for the update!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:11 AM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

1. No, the blue 911 didn't have working brake lights

2. Albins ST6-M with LSD

3. Geartronics pneumatic paddle shift with full ECU control, throttle blipper with rpm matched stacked downshifting, and even full automatic up and/or down shift if desired. http://www.geartronics.co.uk/paddleshift.htm

4. Stock GM C5 2 piece aluminum bell housing. Originally installed in my red car in 1997 ish

TonyG
Tony, very very nice addition to your car. How does it tie in to the GM ECU and will you have the later throttle by wire set up? Bummer on the Bell housing, will you go to something different this time?
Thanks for the update.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:59 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking forward to the photos and the results testing the sequential.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:58 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Any idea how the gearing compares to the Rothmans Cup transaxle?
No idea what those gear ratios are.

TonyG
Old 02-10-2016, 01:05 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by dand86951
Tony, very very nice addition to your car. How does it tie in to the GM ECU and will you have the later throttle by wire set up? Bummer on the Bell housing, will you go to something different this time?
Thanks for the update.
The Geartronics system that controls the Albins trans has it's own computer. It doesn't tie into the GM computer. No drive by wire either. Geartronics system has it's own blipper and shift actuator.

http://www.geartronics.co.uk/paddleshift.htm

Youtube geartronics paddleshift

TonyG
Old 02-10-2016, 01:07 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by disasterman
Looking forward to the photos and the results testing the sequential.
Me too!!!

TonyG
Old 02-10-2016, 05:02 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

TonyG
My point being that if you're only doing a very few shifts with the 5 speed then you're not losing too much time in gearchanges alone. Hopefully with the new 6 speed and ultra quick shifts you'll be able to take more advantage of the powerplant. Either way, I'm jealous!

Quick Reply: TonyG > New Race Car Build Thread