Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Pictures are gone?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Bit confused about this flipped intake which I presume involves the cowl induction? Where does it go from here?
There's most likely plenty of space to put an appropriately sized air filter behind the firewall....
Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
Pictures are gone?
I see the pics

TonyG
Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

awesome pics and video [roller thread] Tony.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by lee101315
There's most likely plenty of space to put an appropriately sized air filter behind the firewall....
Yep, as pictured. So I assume you'd have to have a hood scoop or opening of some sort. Wouldn't a motor like this want ram air induction? Excuse my ignorance, just haven't any experience with a setup like this.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:57 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

in theory, cowl hood or not, you have 2 pressure zones that work together to offer slightly supercharged, cool air;

1. wall of air smashes into the grill causing pressure to build at the back of the engine bay.

2. wall of cool air smashes into the windshield pushes downward onto the rear of the engine bay acting as a barrier to keep most of the hot air in the bay from getting to the filter, *provided the setup makes most of the flow to come from there, and only a small opening [pressure] from the bay.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The induction sound your gonna get in the cab is gonna sound amazing, I want a ride
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Today's update at Vision....

Front end build.

TonyG

Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
in theory, cowl hood or not, you have 2 pressure zones that work together to offer slightly supercharged, cool air;

1. wall of air smashes into the grill causing pressure to build at the back of the engine bay.

2. wall of cool air smashes into the windshield pushes downward onto the rear of the engine bay acting as a barrier to keep most of the hot air in the bay from getting to the filter, *provided the setup makes most of the flow to come from there, and only a small opening [pressure] from the bay.
I always thought the base of the windshield was a low pressure area - due to the velocity of the air traveling over the hood and then bending up to travel over the windshield.

But, looking at this chart, you can see how the line goes down between the 10 and 14 dots... which I think is positive pressure. Perhaps because the air flow velocity is low?

Name:  Windtunnel928.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  42.1 KB
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Van, you are correct. The high velocity of wind going over the hood windshield junction creates a low pressure area. Wind ramming into a radiator only flows as fast as it can exit. See the GT1 Corvettes for their method of exit which also provides downforce.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

my thinking is that the air that smashes into the windshield must force it's way into the stream of slower air above [more air into less space]. the result should be pressurized air at the base of the windshield.... and in the wind tunnel, you see extremely rapid decompression out the back... there's also what you guys are mentioning, but only some of the air in front of the grill can go into the engine bay. the rest of it mostly has to force it's way over the hood into space that's already occupied with slower moving air... so that's compressed air at the front of the hood..., and where can that compressed air go ?? .... as it reaches the windshield only a moment later, this already compressed air must force it's way into a second stream of even slower moving air above, which is also occupied [more pressure].... we think of the windshield as making some downforce. if this is so, then this should also indicate that some of that air could easily be routed to go into the engine [not the bay] instead of having to fight it's way into the airflow above... therefore, i believe the bottom of the windshield should be a zone of high pressure, which should further bolster the universal view that the rear of the bay is also a zone of high pressure..... maybe this is why cowl hoods don't win universal acceptance, as there's already slightly pressurized air at the rear of the hood. but with the 944 ??

found a vette.

Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 01-08-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wauw Tony.. This looks really amazing!

Also really digging your suspension.. If i ever have the money to build a racecar.. Your topic will be my guideline.. But, i'll be doing most of it myself so i'll have to start working on welding skills!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
my thinking is that the air that smashes into the windshield must force it's way into the stream of slower air above [more air into less space]. the result should be pressurized air at the base of the windshield.... and in the wind tunnel, you see extremely rapid decompression out the back... there's also what you guys are mentioning, but only some of the air in front of the grill can go into the engine bay. the rest of it mostly has to force it's way over the hood into space that's already occupied with slower moving air... so that's compressed air at the front of the hood..., and where can that compressed air go ?? .... as it reaches the windshield only a moment later, this already compressed air must force it's way into a second stream of even slower moving air above, which is also occupied [more pressure].... we think of the windshield as making some downforce. if this is so, then this should also indicate that some of that air could easily be routed to go into the engine [not the bay] instead of having to fight it's way into the airflow above... therefore, i believe the bottom of the windshield should be a zone of high pressure, which should further bolster the universal view that the rear of the bay is also a zone of high pressure..... maybe this is why cowl hoods don't win universal acceptance, as there's already slightly pressurized air at the rear of the hood. but with the 944 ??

found a vette.

The 'vette picture shows it well. The air pressure at the hood/windshield junction is positive due to the change in momentum of the air. (this is how wings work as well)

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is that stock that the splitter is being cut from?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Today's update....

The front splitter and heat exchanger fabrication coming along....

Some trial fitting going on...

TonyG

Quick Reply: TonyG > New Race Car Build Thread