Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TonyG > New Race Car Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 03:24 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
Do you know the front and rear motion ratios for your new suspension setup?
No but it's all standard 996 GT3 which is going to be close to 1:1 (within 10% only because of the slight shock angle).

TonyG
Old 11-14-2012, 09:52 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Today's update for your viewing pleasure...

Closing up unused holes in the firewall. Closing in cage penetrations. "cleaning up...."

Also... new aluminum triangulated rear strut brace, which also serves as an adjustable transmission mount.

TonyG

Last edited by TonyG; 11-14-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Wow!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

trans brace is BA
Old 11-15-2012, 03:12 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Today's Update

Firewall finished.

TonyG

Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did you buy the LS3 motor? I guess you can sell the other motor with your car now?

I like the rear trans brace. I'm not a fan of your front cross bars though. They look like they go to the center of the front bar. There's no real support from that point in my car. That's why I completely crossed them to the corners of the cage for full strength. I'm guessing you have extra support there down the center of your car locked to a strong plate on the cage because you won't ever have a passenger. Then that design works.

I hope to eat my words on the time frame. It looks like they are getting some serious fab work done pretty fast. Tons of finishing work to do though. Keep up all the pics, I'm loving it.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 95ONE
So did you buy the LS3 motor? I guess you can sell the other motor with your car now?

I like the rear trans brace. I'm not a fan of your front cross bars though. They look like they go to the center of the front bar. There's no real support from that point in my car. That's why I completely crossed them to the corners of the cage for full strength. I'm guessing you have extra support there down the center of your car locked to a strong plate on the cage because you won't ever have a passenger. Then that design works.

I hope to eat my words on the time frame. It looks like they are getting some serious fab work done pretty fast. Tons of finishing work to do though. Keep up all the pics, I'm loving it.

There is a bar that runs from front to rear at the top of the passenger side fuel cell, under the aluminum firewall. You just can't see it from the pic. There are several actually under the aluminum. The fuel cell has to come out through the windshield BTW.

Also... the new diagonal bar (from the strut to the center bar) and the existing bar from the cage to the strut tower, form a V. It's that V that supports the Tilton pedal assembly BTW.

The LS3 we bought was for a 911GT3 race car we're building. A destroked 8k rpm LS3 with titanium rods, cnc heads, and all the other goodies... 550RWHP. $11k from RPM Motors includes the brain, harness, computer, drive by wire throttle & throttle body, intake, injection, etc... complete minus headers.

I was going to put this engine in my car but have since decided (next year) to install a Porsche Panamera twin turbo V6 instead.

TonyG
Old 11-15-2012, 04:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
There is a bar that runs from front to rear at the top of the passenger side fuel cell, under the aluminum firewall. You just can't see it from the pic. There are several actually under the aluminum. The fuel cell has to come out through the windshield BTW.

Also... the new diagonal bar (from the strut to the center bar) and the existing bar from the cage to the strut tower, form a V. It's that V that supports the Tilton pedal assembly BTW.

The LS3 we bought was for a 911GT3 race car we're building. A destroked 8k rpm LS3 with titanium rods, cnc heads, and all the other goodies... 550RWHP. $11k from RPM Motors includes the brain, harness, computer, drive by wire throttle & throttle body, intake, injection, etc... complete minus headers.

I was going to put this engine in my car but have since decided (next year) to install a Porsche Panamera twin turbo V6 instead.

TonyG
Panamera v6??
Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Panamera v6??
Maybe. It's Porsche and factory twin turbo. Stock 420Hp. It will be a walk in the park to get it up to 550Hp (at the crank).

Plus with a V6, almost the entire engine will be behind the front axle center line which will make a big difference for weight distribution.

And with a short engine... there will be plenty of room for heat exchangers and turbos.

TonyG
Old 11-15-2012, 04:22 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
Maybe. It's Porsche and factory twin turbo. Stock 420Hp. It will be a walk in the park to get it up to 550Hp (at the crank).

Plus with a V6, almost the entire engine will be behind the front axle center line which will make a big difference for weight distribution.

And with a short engine... there will be plenty of room for heat exchangers and turbos.

TonyG
Sounds sexy. Cost for a used one?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which panamera has a turbo v6?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by adrial
Which panamera has a turbo v6?
2013 model year

TonyG
Old 11-17-2012, 03:30 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Today's Update

Car is a roller... a few small things to finish up on the suspension, but it's enough done to to to the powder coater.

So it's going to get taken back apart, blasted one more time, then powder coated.

Note on the ride height..... There is a LOT to be said about how the suspension was setup. And it will get discussed in detail in the future I'm sure. Never the less... the suspension has 5" of travel. 3" compression, 2" rebound. The car sitting on the ground... while not using the correct springs, is actually at the race ride height (again... with 3" compression and 2" rebound). It's amazing how low you can get a race car when you completely redesign the suspension.

Anyway... the entire rear assembly can be moved up or down, the shocks can be moved up or down, and the spring perches can be moved up and down. The front has a ton of adjustablility built in as well. Note: The cross member is not one that's going to be used. The one we're going to use will be heavily reinforced to support the control arm mounting location.

BTW... the roller wheels are 205 in the front and 245 in the rear... don't they look small?

So ends phase 1 at Vision Motorsports.

Stay tuned.....

TonyG

Old 11-17-2012, 06:50 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant believe they let you have a fuel cell right next to you in the cabin!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by NZ951
I cant believe they let you have a fuel cell right next to you in the cabin!
Why?

The fuel cell is in a steel container, which is behind firewall. And it's extremely well protected (far better than a 944 tank).

The area where the fuel cell is located is no longer considered the passenger compartment since it's firewalled off.

Anyway... the rule is that it has to be behind a firewall. And it is. It's no different than a 911 or a 944 in that it's simply sheet metal that separates you from the fuel tank.

And... you'll start seeing a lot more tanks located like that in professional racing BTW.

TonyG

Quick Reply: TonyG > New Race Car Build Thread