Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   AEM tru boost or MBC? (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/705172-aem-tru-boost-or-mbc.html)

moswissa 07-05-2012 02:52 PM

AEM tru boost or MBC?

I'm looking to get a boost gauge and a controller, I was reading about aem's tru boost gauge says that it can indicate boost levels and allow u to adjust boost. So does this mean I won't have to buy a mbc or a boost gauge because aem tru boost contains both?

Also I just want to get a 38mm tial wg and 951 Max chips and run 15psi on my stock k26, will I need to get an a/f gauge for safety?

Will Feather 07-05-2012 03:22 PM

As far as I know the AEM True Boost does both. It is an electronic boost controller so you can set the boost with it and also display live boost. Personally I would still run a boost guage with it, I feel it would be easier to monitor while driving. It is electronic and is has more capability over a MBC when it comes to holding the boost and being more precise.

After you do chips, tial WG I would also run an A/F gauge to monitor. Sounds like you have mods planned, eventually you will NEED one, may as well do it now.

MarkRobinson 07-05-2012 04:19 PM

moswissa: yes, it displays both vacuum & boost & controls boost + has a high/low boost function + peak boost recall as well. I've had one for 4 years, like it. :)
Mark.

schip43 07-05-2012 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by moswissa (Post 9663200)
I'm looking to get a boost gauge and a controller, I was reading about aem's tru boost gauge says that it can indicate boost levels and allow u to adjust boost. So does this mean I won't have to buy a mbc or a boost gauge because aem tru boost contains both?

Also I just want to get a 38mm tial wg and 951 Max chips and run 15psi on my stock k26, will I need to get an a/f gauge for safety?

The AEM is indeed both an Electronic boost controller and a boost gauge so no you won't need a MBC. You would be well advised to add a Wide Band O2 gauge in either case as a Boost Controller does not monitor AF ratios.
I have the MAX chips and it's a good chips but for the same $$ I for would go with the Rouge AFM kit. That's a no Brainer!:thumbup:

bw993 07-05-2012 04:56 PM

+1 AEM Tru-Boost

moswissa 07-05-2012 06:53 PM

AEM TRU BOOST IT IS! I found one cheap for $175 free shippin!

Thank you all for answering my question!

I hve to do some research about rogue tuning I don't know too much about it other then you have to convert the DME to a different pin?

User 52121 07-05-2012 07:18 PM

If you're going brand new... then the Rogue Tuning A-Tune is hands-down the best AFM solution on the market. If you have an '86 with the original 24-pin DME then yes, you will have to update it to a 28-pin socket, which Joshua can do for $50. You could also try doing the conversion yourself (I wouldn't recommend it unless you're sure you know what you're doing) or you could also always find a used 28-pin DME for sale and use that one.

If you're looking for used chips... they're all pretty much the same. Subtle differences but for the most part... meh.

moswissa 07-05-2012 09:40 PM

Doesn't every chip have to be programmed to fit your car depending on what mods? or can I buy a used chip and custom tune it?

From my understanding the 951 max chips are customized accordingly to your mods so if I buy new mods would I need a new chip?

Thanks in advance. Very helpful to me

moswissa 07-06-2012 01:41 AM

Another question, is it mandatory to get a 3 bar fuel pressure regulator if I'm just gonna run 15psi wg ?? I know it says you do on most chip websites but my Porsche mechanic told me not to get it unless I'm gonna run a bigger turbo or injectors

MarkRobinson 07-06-2012 09:58 AM

I have one with 5k miles on it if you do (3 bar reg).

schip43 07-06-2012 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by moswissa (Post 9664168)
Doesn't every chip have to be programmed to fit your car depending on what mods? or can I buy a used chip and custom tune it?

From my understanding the 951 max chips are customized accordingly to your mods so if I buy new mods would I need a new chip?

Thanks in advance. Very helpful to me

Yes the chips are custom tuned and yes they have been tuned on all stock cars. I have the MAX chip, DP waste gate, Cat back ,55 lb injectors and 3 bar regulator, tuned for 18 pd boost on pump gas.

It's a rocket if you drive it like you stole it! If you drive it like you don't want to go to jail...not so hot. Laggy and slow off boost car is not really interested in speeds below 45 and 5th is usless and 4th barely useable....

From the reports Rouge's kit fixes this.

Really the only reason to not get the Rouge Kit or a Vitess Chip (the only one's I would consider) is if you want to stay under 200 dollars! Other than that I'd go with Rouge kit..

http://www.roguetuning.com/

Paulyy 07-06-2012 03:46 PM

AEM tru boost looks good in a 3 gauge pannel with their wide band and another digital gauge of your choice from AEM.

P.S good thread in my signature. might be worth a read!

teamcrossworks 07-06-2012 06:45 PM

Just a thought ... Joshua (Rogue Tuning) has indicated he may be coming out with a boost controller.

Let's just say...I, for one, am waiting.

moswissa 07-07-2012 06:43 PM

off topic : How do i leave a signature at the end of every post and shows what car i drive?

Will Feather 07-07-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by moswissa (Post 9668612)
off topic : How do i leave a signature at the end of every post and shows what car i drive?

Got to be a paying memeber.